Login

russian armor

COH2 leaderboards unbalanced?

10 May 2020, 13:19 PM

5th game in a row I lose thanks to people like this. Shout-out to those 2 players that flamed me all game while doing nothing.
Also, is there a way to not get Chinese people in my game? The ping is usually around 400-500 in games with Asian players. I oscillate between level 18 and 14 in 3v3 games (top 250) and I have noticed a huge disparity in 3v3 4v4 game modes. You'll either get great teammates or you'll get rank 1000 players that are probably new to the game.

I'm really tired of waiting for 10 minutes each time (South/Middle Europe location) only to get 2-3 players that are obviously not in the top 1000, let alone 250 in any mode. Is the game dying on such modes or is it just my luck cause I really can't stand it anymore.
10 May 2020, 13:43 PM

Random team games make teams based on total ELO.

3 players with say 1500 ELO is the same as 2 players with 500 ELO and one with 3500.

This is why no one treats RT games seriously and why they will never be competitive.

Do you want a leveled experience? Find team mates and play with them.
10 May 2020, 13:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 May 2020, 13:43 PMKatitof
Random team games make teams based on total ELO.

3 players with say 1500 ELO is the same as 2 players with 500 ELO and one with 3500.

This is why no one treats RT games seriously and why they will never be competitive.

Do you want a leveled experience? Find team mates and play with them.

The number of serious people playing COH2 in modes 3+ is low. Europe, even lower.
10 May 2020, 13:50 PM

You don't really need serious players, just players who are available at same times as you are. 3 average players who somewhat know what to do will give you better results and more fun games then literal lottery or skill and communication.
10 May 2020, 14:11 PM

Random teamgame matchmaking is quite bad indeed, but at least it's "fair" in the sense that everyone else on the ladder has that exact same issue. Your ranking on the random ladder roughly represents your overall ability to carry inferior teams.
10 May 2020, 14:12 PM

3vs3 is probably the worst mode.
10 May 2020, 14:15 PM

Reset the search every 5 minutes if you don’t want crazy unbalanced teams.
10 May 2020, 15:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 May 2020, 13:50 PMKatitof
You don't really need serious players, just players who are available at same times as you are. 3 average players who somewhat know what to do will give you better results and more fun games then literal lottery or skill and communication.

Amazing, now you're defining fun for other people.
10 May 2020, 15:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 May 2020, 15:04 PMKoRneY

Amazing, now you're defining fun for other people.

No, I'm pointing out what you need to do if you don't want to feel misery in team games if you play them with expectation of a win or even a fair game.
10 May 2020, 15:36 PM

5th game in a row I lose thanks to people like this. Shout-out to those 2 players that flamed me all game while doing nothing.
Also, is there a way to not get Chinese people in my game? The ping is usually around 400-500 in games with Asian players. I oscillate between level 18 and 14 in 3v3 games (top 250) and I have noticed a huge disparity in 3v3 4v4 game modes. You'll either get great teammates or you'll get rank 1000 players that are probably new to the game.

I'm really tired of waiting for 10 minutes each time (South/Middle Europe location) only to get 2-3 players that are obviously not in the top 1000, let alone 250 in any mode. Is the game dying on such modes or is it just my luck cause I really can't stand it anymore.

Everyone deals with it. I looked at your match length history and you have shit tons of wins versus your losses. Like 10:1. But in automatch you have more losses than wins and you seem to blame everyone around you. To me it looks like you cultivated a posh winning environment and you don't want or know how to work with what you've got in random team games.
10 May 2020, 18:29 PM

Reset the search every 5 minutes if you don’t want crazy unbalanced teams.

I'll do that. Thanks
10 May 2020, 18:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 May 2020, 15:36 PMKoRneY

Everyone deals with it. I looked at your match length history and you have shit tons of wins versus your losses. Like 10:1. But in automatch you have more losses than wins and you seem to blame everyone around you. To me it looks like you cultivated a posh winning environment and you don't want or know how to work with what you've got in random team games.

My automatch is always random teams while my custom games are automatch conditions and maps but with my friends when they are available (vs whoever joins). And the network conditions are great since we kick any non European players. When it comes to online, as a Croat, I love Germans, Austrians. Best games are with Germans. Large pool of good players which are not as toxic as some others. I honestly dont care if I win or lose. I just want a good game. If I lose vs a better opponent, good. If I win, even better. I dont think of myself as a posh winner. Never really cared about online ranks in anything except ResearchGate for physics. I'm just looking for good competitive games. If I lose 20 games in a row but they were good. I'm truly happy.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I ain't blaming anyone for losing, I'm only wondering if it's generally the case of unbalanced games...ok to be honest, I am blaming here because they flamed me for whole 10 minutes for not helping them deal with one OKW player (OKW OP reason, so soviet couldn't deal with sturms rushing him and was complaining about them). I'll admit that this one is a finger pointer. My bad for getting triggered at the flame.
10 May 2020, 19:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Correct me if i'm wrong but it's the same if you play with people from your country or someone from the other side of the world.

The game is not P2P as with COH1. You connect towards a battle server located in USA and then that info goes back to you. It doesn't matter where your opponent is located as lag is entirely on how long it takes for the packets info to go to the server and back.
10 May 2020, 22:14 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong but it's the same if you play with people from your country or someone from the other side of the world.

The game is not P2P as with COH1. You connect towards a battle server located in USA and then that info goes back to you. It doesn't matter where your opponent is located as lag is entirely on how long it takes for the packets info to go to the server and back.

Not nearly the experience network wise.
Command delay:
- Playing with European people, the delay between me clicking a move order for a static squad is 1 second max (latency on average is around 500ms I think which is more than acceptable for RTS games)

- Playing with non-European people (Asia, US,...) the delay between a command is around 5 seconds on average (I count at game start how much time it takes for echelons to start moving, each time I see Chinese letters).
That means, when I click on any squad that is not doing anything and I click a move order anywhere.... the time between the click and the squad actually starting to move is around 5 seconds. It makes for some fun games with Asians (usually it's Chinese letters that tell you, you're effed). One funny and possibly the worst time was Sturmtiger starting the animation for the kaboom and I was clicking all my squads to move away. No matter how much I clicked any unit to move away, they were just standing there and right before the sturm fired it's cannon they started moving. That doesn't happen with European players.
I know that it's not P2P and that you're connecting to a US server, however, if my knowledge of networks from 3rd year is still valid, the packets that arrive on the server from Europe and Asia need to be synced, hence the huge delay. It's not the same if it needs to sync only European players or Asia + Europe.
So no, it's definitely not the same. And there only needs to be one person that's far away from you and the server.
My download and upload speeds are around 100 Mbps and the router is 1m from me and it's
only COH2 + Asians.
10 May 2020, 22:15 PM

Anyway. Thank you all for some clarification on elo and how to possibly avoid (5 min mark) such network BS.
11 May 2020, 08:07 AM

- Playing with non-European people (Asia, US,...) the delay between a command is around 5 seconds on average (I count at game start how much time it takes for echelons to start moving, each time I see Chinese letters).

I know that it's not P2P and that you're connecting to a US server, however, if my knowledge of networks from 3rd year is still valid, the packets that arrive on the server from Europe and Asia need to be synced, hence the huge delay.

5 seconds to play against someone in the USA but not in Europe? That really doesn't make any sense to me. Say it's a 1v1 (for simplicity): If the servers and your opponent are in the USA and you're assuming that the latency of the two player connections is additive, then surely in that case the latency should be *lower* (or at worst, equal) compared to when you play someone in Europe? And if it's only the latency of the player furthest from the server (ie you), then it should be exactly the same experience playing against an American as playing someone in Europe.

At any rate, I've definitely never had a 5 second delay. Anything approaching one second is near unplayable, and I rarely have them despite being all the way over in Australia. However, I've been a significant proponent of the theory that battle servers make other player pings irrelevant, so your theory does have me re-evaluating that stance given that it very much is a sync-dependent game. But I'll make a separate post inviting critiques once I feel like I've properly thought it through. I'd really love to get to get my head around that whole system.

In regards to mismatching, I'm not sure there's much you can do about that. The player pool size is what it is, and I frequently get matched with top 20 players within 30 seconds of starting a 1v1 search. It would appear the system only cares if one of the players has been searching for longer than the search expansion threshold. I can't imagine it's much different for team games.
11 May 2020, 10:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 May 2020, 08:07 AMCyanara

5 seconds to play against someone in the USA but not in Europe? That really doesn't make any sense to me. Say it's a 1v1 (for simplicity): If the servers and your opponent are in the USA and you're assuming that the latency of the two player connections is additive, then surely in that case the latency should be *lower* (or at worst, equal) compared to when you play someone in Europe? And if it's only the latency of the player furthest from the server (ie you), then it should be exactly the same experience playing against an American as playing someone in Europe.

At any rate, I've definitely never had a 5 second delay. Anything approaching one second is near unplayable, and I rarely have them despite being all the way over in Australia. However, I've been a significant proponent of the theory that battle servers make other player pings irrelevant, so your theory does have me re-evaluating that stance given that it very much is a sync-dependent game. But I'll make a separate post inviting critiques once I feel like I've properly thought it through. I'd really love to get to get my head around that whole system.

In regards to mismatching, I'm not sure there's much you can do about that. The player pool size is what it is, and I frequently get matched with top 20 players within 30 seconds of starting a 1v1 search. It would appear the system only cares if one of the players has been searching for longer than the search expansion threshold. I can't imagine it's much different for team games.

Honest to God. Playing with European people or west Asian (Russia) will yield delays of max 1 second. |Max|. On average it will be around half a second. Playing against Chinese (I have once or twice played against US and rest were Chinese or some Asian flag I couldn't discern), I have always had at least 3 second delay. That is the bare minimum that the delay will be between an issued command and the command being done (movement, ability use, ... whatever). Max it was 5 seconds the whole game. I'd record it but I really can't be bothered to. Between laboratory duties and university obligations, I can only play one game per day max and I really don't have the time to record and put up on youtube or something. I don't know the netcode COH2 has nor it's relation to the TCP-IP protocol, but it's obvious that the moment I have players far away from me, the ping will get higher.

It's strange because in other games like Survarium or CS GO or Dota 2, you can clearly see the time for the packets to arrive to Asia from my router, is around 200 ms (you can pick servers and it will show average ping on those servers). If I choose to play on Asian or US East or US West or Australian servers, the ping will be around 200-400, definitely not 3 bloody seconds like COH2 has it.

To sum up, a package going from Croatia over to Asia or US (and back again) or anywhere far will always be measured in couple of seconds in COH2 and fractions of a second in other game network infrastructures. I'd run a tracert to relic if anyone knows the server IP.
12 May 2020, 18:42 PM

My controls weren't working
And if they were, you were playing dishonorably,
And if you weren't, you were playing without skill,
And if you were, it's not fun to play that way,
And if it is, you only care about winning.
aaa
12 May 2020, 19:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 May 2020, 13:43 PMKatitof

Find team mates and play with them.

how? Those who i play 1v1 refuse to play 2v2 with me.
12 May 2020, 19:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 May 2020, 19:06 PMaaa

how? Those who i play 1v1 refuse to play 2v2 with me.

The hell if I know.
I'd be playing AT otherwise :snfPeter:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 46
Germany 750
unknown 18
Germany 3
unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias