Login

russian armor

3v3 vs late game OKW/OST combo tips

23 Apr 2020, 10:13 AM

What are the tips for fighting late game Axis players? Winning early game is not hard but as the heavier armour and one elephant get called in, pretty much any armour is useless and the arty + scout planes from 3v3 mods pretty much wreck the infantry. How would one counter the steady axis push? By that I mean:
Elephant + KT + Panther + infantry + one player supporting with recon/flares and artillery. USF doesn't have any non doctrinal artillery and howitzers are useless past mid game on bigger game modes because one guy will have walking stuka which, if a bit lucky, can easily take out when you're fighting 3 fights and can't pay attention to everything (basically flares are big scary UFO lights). How would you go against these combos? Jacksons are pretty much useless since the elephant in the back takes them out easily. Panthers with it's huge armour and HP can rush in to take out any low hp tank and stukas and Panterwerfers pretty much negate any semi static positions (like AT squads). How would you deal with a situation like that? You win early game and hold about 60% of them map but once the heavies start rolling out and the axis player is not braindead to just rush with the heavy into the enemy base.
So far I've tried flanking which can be negated with the OKW truck and/or arty and/or the fast panther relocation (+ mines). I've tried using 2x Jackson range but the bounce is pretty high on heavies at max range (+ the huge HP). I've tried dedicated infantry squads with zooks and snares, but again, zooks and snares bounce quite often even on side/back of heavies. 2v2 and 1v1 is not hard to win with USF, but late game in bigger modes, pretty darn hard.

Looking for more skilled/experienced players to pitch in their strategies.
23 Apr 2020, 11:32 AM

First of all it depends on the map. On very large maps like Steppes for instance, it is easy to work around the heavies, they are so slow that you can either constantly switch side on the map or flank them fast with inf and jacksons (panther spam on such maps is a whole different story however :D)

On campy maps like rhine or rzhev, the situation becomes a lot more complicated. Once KT + panthers + elefant etc are on the field and the axis players have brain, the USF tanks become pretty useless indeed. Now it depends on what doctrine you choose on those maps. It's best to either focus on infantry + indirect fire so you can take out their infantry and win by VPs (and to allow your teammates to only worry about the tanks), or you can go for full blown jackson spam with P47 rocket support, but both strats are hard to pull off on camper maps vs good axis.
23 Apr 2020, 11:36 AM

Might be controversial to say this, but if Axis have been given enough time for Big_Tusked_Animal/Bigger_USF_trolling_Hunter_cat + each player to have Panther spam (which is fairly incredible at 185 FU each!)...you're pretty much finished. It's over imho. You'll never be able to outtrade with armor vs that kind of setup and once they've won the armor war...the infantry are next.

You cannot afford to give Axis breathing room. OST might be considered memeworthy lategame but they can still spam Panthers, Brumm +PZwerfer.
23 Apr 2020, 12:18 PM

I found Lienne forest to be quite hard. Both players have one secure fuel point (bigger advantage for axis since it's armour dependant) and the mid part of the map is quite narrow for the heavies to slowly and steadily push. I agree that steppes is easy to counter since it's really open but the closed off maps are cancerous for later stages of the game where the range is not important, but hp and armour. Glad to know I'm not a complete idi*t for losing such setups. OST is pretty good late. The Brummbar combined with a panther with top gunner is great vs infantry and armour alike (unless the enemy is spamming ATs only but then you can easily retake with infantry)
23 Apr 2020, 12:26 PM

What are the tips for fighting late game Axis players? Winning early game is not hard but as the heavier armour and one elephant get called in, pretty much any armour is useless and the arty + scout planes from 3v3 mods pretty much wreck the infantry. How would one counter the steady axis push? By that I mean:
Elephant + KT + Panther + infantry + one player supporting with recon/flares and artillery. USF doesn't have any non doctrinal artillery and howitzers are useless past mid game on bigger game modes because one guy will have walking stuka which, if a bit lucky, can easily take out when you're fighting 3 fights and can't pay attention to everything (basically flares are big scary UFO lights). How would you go against these combos? Jacksons are pretty much useless since the elephant in the back takes them out easily. Panthers with it's huge armour and HP can rush in to take out any low hp tank and stukas and Panterwerfers pretty much negate any semi static positions (like AT squads). How would you deal with a situation like that? You win early game and hold about 60% of them map but once the heavies start rolling out and the axis player is not braindead to just rush with the heavy into the enemy base.
So far I've tried flanking which can be negated with the OKW truck and/or arty and/or the fast panther relocation (+ mines). I've tried using 2x Jackson range but the bounce is pretty high on heavies at max range (+ the huge HP). I've tried dedicated infantry squads with zooks and snares, but again, zooks and snares bounce quite often even on side/back of heavies. 2v2 and 1v1 is not hard to win with USF, but late game in bigger modes, pretty darn hard.

I saw a lot of talk about USF but since your playing with a team u might also have a sovjet on your side. In this case, i'd like to point out a few sovjet-usf ways to deal with the party composition above. If the sovjet spams t34s and has a doctrine with either il2 bomb/rocket runs or tank overwatch artillery, your sovjet ally should lead the charge, ram some problematic heavies. click his cheese ablities, while the USF backs up the t34 horde (atleast 3 but preferably more then 4) with a few jacksons, and either p47s or some other form of support. These combined pushes are very hard to stop as axis, even if they spam mines. U can sweep those, and they can never have enough mines to stop all of your tanks. The goal is to lose less then axis, who have fewer but more expensive tanks. wreck their economy. Don't overextend while doing this, grab only what u can safely then pull out and repair and go back in.
23 Apr 2020, 14:11 PM

Might be controversial to say this, but if Axis have been given enough time for Big_Tusked_Animal/Bigger_USF_trolling_Hunter_cat + each player to have Panther spam (which is fairly incredible at 185 FU each!)...you're pretty much finished. It's over imho. You'll never be able to outtrade with armor vs that kind of setup and once they've won the armor war...the infantry are next.

You cannot afford to give Axis breathing room. OST might be considered memeworthy lategame but they can still spam Panthers, Brumm +PZwerfer.

yeah... very hard to spam panthers with inflated ressources... and also very hard to hold out long enough on campy maps
23 Apr 2020, 14:21 PM

yeah... very hard to spam panthers with inflated ressources... and also very hard to hold out long enough on campy maps

What can I say, I wish my teammates stopped throwing away their Panthers/somehow Tiger stall and then I find myself outnumbered 4-1 in armor. Nearly lost on Whiteball last night because I had a guy charge his Panther into a 6+blob of Cons. I even blew up a Cromwell on the opposite flank with a Goliath early on to no apparent avail. The real kicker was getting my own vet IV Obers killed by a stuka dive bomb on the mid vp...even though I had it under control \o/

With such teammates, who needs enemies lol!
27 Apr 2020, 10:50 AM

How would you guys work around playing OKW on close combat maps? Eg. Redball express the bottom side is a dense forest with lots of close combat fights where Sturms can take down any squad in a couple of seconds, making pushes munition expensive until the howits come (or Lienne forest or angermunde, etc.)
27 Apr 2020, 11:18 AM

How would you guys work around playing OKW on close combat maps? Eg. Redball express the bottom side is a dense forest with lots of close combat fights where Sturms can take down any squad in a couple of seconds, making pushes munition expensive until the howits come (or Lienne forest or angermunde, etc.)

[For the early game]
HMGs are your friend against OKW as it's very hard for them to deal with MGs early on. Sturms need to get into shortish range to really start dishing it out, and you can pick off models with a squad behind cover. You just cannot be complacent for even a second vs them, and NEVER hesitate to press T if you go round a corner into them. You'll be down a squad.

Going toe-to-toe vs volks with your T0 infantry is hard because they'll likely have StG44s asap and temporarily outgun your rifles and definitely cons. IS will be fine in cover.

• For Redball - the fuel there is very easily shut down with a single HMG and they need to go the long way to flank it or come from the very predictable path of where that house is.
  • For Lienne Forest, I usually can't hold it long as OKW even with bunkers/AA flak emplacements. HMGs gradually kick me off the area even if I wire off their little foxholes (INCREDIBLE I know!) or they just swamp me with sheer infantry blob and/or light arty. Tbh, I've almost always considered Lienne to be won in the mid and town not the forest which is so far away from the other two vps.
  • I haven't played on Angrymap before.

EDIT: Please do not use Snipers vs OKW. The Sniper gets +50% bonus RA from the Kubel and 5 man squads can chase it down without much fear of being wiped. It's just too much risk.

27 Apr 2020, 19:46 PM

Late game vs Axis usually amounts to not allowing Axis to mass up enough tanks to push you, cause damage and retreat without losing any tanks. Before that though, try to hold onto fuel points as best you can and destroy caches whenever possible.

Your team should have a blob counter to keep the OKW blobs in check. MG's in green cover, katyusha, calliope, pack howie are useful tools.

Each Panther costs 185 fuel but allowing them to build up is incredibly deadly.

Build up Jacksons, SU-85, Firefly and don't lose them. All allies tank destroyers have unique specials which always should be used before/during combat. They are weak in all aspects except when using their abilities so make sure they are protected, kept alive and massed.

SU-85 is focused sight which allows it safely to view a choke and fire without infantry infront of it although you should still have infantry around to defend the SU-85.

Jackson is HVAP-T which increases damage and pen (requires vet1 tho). Always use it as it increases damage.

Firefly tulip rockets is crazy good burst damage, stun + vision block but also extremely expensive. Try not to lose the firefly either or you will have to pay muni to re-upgrade your next firefly. A good axis counter is to dive an upgraded firefly with panthers. I would trade a panther for an upgraded firefly any day.
27 Apr 2020, 20:38 PM

Vet 3 IR Pathfinders with zooks + 140muni arty = dead elefant, Rocket arty, lefh .
That's the best what u can do as usf
I can send replay with that tactic rank100-200 4v4
28 Apr 2020, 09:33 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 27
Germany 566

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment