Login

russian armor

High Skill USF gameplay is just so micro intensive

9 Apr 2020, 02:16 AM

That won't help at all. OP is playing random 2v2 against an arranged team and getting double teamed up in the first 4 mins of the game by a normal comp (3 rifles + officer) on a small map on which there's not much place to move around (Crossing).

I do play random 2v2/3v3/4v4 aswell and i have seen it too. Im far from top lvl skill playerbase but i admit i have seen this "meta" aswell.

I agree with you about RT vs AT is really unfair or hard to deal with.
9 Apr 2020, 02:46 AM

There's also the fact that he is playing 2v2 random vs arranged team.

Nothing against those guys, but CoH is a small community game with a low skill floor (mechanically wise) and low to medium knowledge requirement game (outside of basics). From playing against those guys or simil rank wise i have the same appreciation.

I more or less follow closely the other 3 big other RTS (SC2, WC3 and AoE2) on top of occasionally tapping into other genres (fighting, FPS, MOBAs) so that's my point of comparison.

I like this quote to describe "skill" or genius:

The beauty of CoH2 is that 99% of it, falls in the first category.

Ok can you elaborate that, because I genuinely don't get your point o_O How's the quote related and what do you mean by skill floor.
9 Apr 2020, 07:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Apr 2020, 02:46 AMGiaA

Ok can you elaborate that, because I genuinely don't get your point o_O How's the quote related and what do you mean by skill floor.

He's saying the game is really easy to get good at because it doesn't require huge technical skill/micro unlike WC3 or SC2 for example
9 Apr 2020, 07:57 AM

Also, "blobbing" shouldn't be frown upon so much by the community.

It's like getting cannon(SC2)/tower (WC3/AoE2) and blaming the game.

Indeed. Sometimes blobbing is just the right tactic to use. If the opponet is spread out in a defensive posture, attacking spread out will just lead to a failed assault because he will be in cover and you will not be. Blobbing one point in the line can break trough it however, which then forces the opponent to get his units out of their dug in positions.

The game also has plenty of anti blobbing tools to counter players who do nothing but blob, so if you lose to it it's really on you.
9 Apr 2020, 09:28 AM

Nobody would be complaining about blobs if indirect fire was more forgiving to individual squads but had more AoE. That way the MG would suppress and a mortar would lower the health of every squad on the blob.

Sorry, but you can't make it so indirect fire does more and less damage at the same time.
9 Apr 2020, 11:24 AM

Sorry, but you can't make it so indirect fire does more and less damage at the same time.

The change he's describing has literally been done to multiple units in the game... He's saying spread out the damage
9 Apr 2020, 11:34 AM

The change he's describing has literally been done to multiple units in the game... He's saying spread out the damage

Its been done to units with 160 dmg or more and massive AoE, neither of which I would describe a mortar with.
9 Apr 2020, 11:55 AM

Its been done to units with 160 dmg or more and massive AoE, neither of which I would describe a mortar with.

120mm mortar does not do 160 damage. And he was specifically suggesting giving regular mortars more AOE...
9 Apr 2020, 12:17 PM

120mm mortar does not do 160 damage. And he was specifically suggesting giving regular mortars more AOE...

120mm is also less cost efficient then stock mortar and no one even considers using it over stock mortar.
Its possibly worst example you could've come up with.
9 Apr 2020, 12:24 PM

120mm is also less cost efficient then stock mortar and no one even considers using it over stock mortar.
Its possibly worst example you could've come up with.

Which has mostly to do with it's cost... And that's not the point. You said the change was impossible and that it's only done for 160 damage units. That is false on both accounts

And time between shots is the biggest performance weakness of heavy mortar, not it's AOE
9 Apr 2020, 16:51 PM

He's saying the game is really easy to get good at because it doesn't require huge technical skill/micro unlike WC3 or SC2 for example

:clap: sure COH2 is so easy and the SC2 and WC3 are so difficult.

Tell me how many RNG elements do u have in SC2 ?

These typical asien click sports... the fact that u even try to compare them is just wrong.
9 Apr 2020, 17:10 PM

Whats RNG got to do with skill or difficulty? If anything games without RNG are more skillfull, because their outcome is decided by skil only, without RNG influence.
These typical asien click sports... the fact that u even try to compare them is just wrong.

Yeah, comparing an RTS to an RTS, what a crazy idea XD
9 Apr 2020, 17:20 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Apr 2020, 02:46 AMGiaA

Skill floor refers to the amount of mechanic/knowledge a certain task requires in order to perform well with it.
Skill ceiling is the potential you can have with something.

Quote: i'm remarking the difference between "impossible" excellence and "achievable" goodness. Achievable means that given that you were explained how something was done and were given the right tools to do it, you would be able to do it.

Compared to the extensive and meticulous dedication on other games on the genre, i agree with the premise of the skill level of our playerbase (more so with the limited numbers).

You would think that for a game which scraps the task of economy and teching to it's bare bones, so you have the complete focus on actions to have most of it micro to be optimized at the highest levels of play, but that's not the case from what i've seen throughout the years.
9 Apr 2020, 17:21 PM

Indeed. Sometimes blobbing is just the right tactic to use. If the opponet is spread out in a defensive posture, attacking spread out will just lead to a failed assault because he will be in cover and you will not be. Blobbing one point in the line can break trough it however, which then forces the opponent to get his units out of their dug in positions.

The game also has plenty of anti blobbing tools to counter players who do nothing but blob, so if you lose to it it's really on you.

There is a slight but important difference between blobbing and force concentration.

Blobbing is commonly refered as "grab a bunch o'troops and right click them blindly into battle" (A key movement apex)

Force concentration is more technical, you have a clear view of where are you striking and the amount of confrontation you will find. Also combine tools to succed, like smokes, ATGs or Armor to aid the breacktrhough
9 Apr 2020, 17:30 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

For an outsider, SC2 looks like just an APM game. But that's only because you are ignorant of what it's going on. The beauty of CoH, outside of been a WW2 theme game, is that it's mostly straightforward visually to understand what is happening.

If SC2 is chess, CoH2 is Poker Texas Hold em. RNG is no existant.

But both the other 2 big RTS have RNG elements on it.

AoE2 ranged units has ballistics and the biggest RNG component comes from adapting to map generation and use of terrain.

WC3 have variable values of damage and RNG on item spawning from creeps. Several skills have an x% chance to proc.

9 Apr 2020, 20:06 PM

I agree with Elchino7.

CoH2 is unique in its own way. I would dare to say it redefines what RTS is. Not an APM battle but a strategic and reactive battle.

I would like to say that CoH2 is like chess when SC2/W3/AoE2 are like uno. One rewards strategy and foresight and the other rewards unit management and reaction time
9 Apr 2020, 21:15 PM

why is this post so discussed when it is literally pointless
9 Apr 2020, 21:19 PM

why is this post so discussed when it is literally pointless

Then why are you posting in it?
9 Apr 2020, 21:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I would like to say that CoH2 is like chess when SC2/W3/AoE2 are like uno. One rewards strategy and foresight and the other rewards unit management and reaction time

Because CoH2 doesn't reward been able to multitask different engagements, been able to use units abilities and dodging offmaps and grenades.

Sigh again. This is only because all u guys know how to play CoH2 extensively and know almost nothing from the other games.

9 Apr 2020, 22:05 PM

Permanently Banned
Here's the gist of things: OKW had only one response vs USF rifle blobs: pfusilier blobs which are decent against them. Not that the Tiger has been nerfed, less OKW players will be tempted to go for Grand Offensive and hence less pfussies. Volks struggle vs rifles so this patch is likely to benefit USF players quite a bit at the expense of OKW.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★