Login

russian armor

State of the Soviets

PAGES (17)down
5 Dec 2019, 14:53 PM

Buff Panther main gun penetration so it's better against the IS-2 without becomming impossible to deal with in team games. Decrease IS-2 vet bonus range to 45 instead of 50.

There we go, easy fix. Now axis has a counter to the IS-2. No need to nerf a faction into oblivion because 1 doctrinal unit is too good.

I don't think its a good idea to buff Panther's penetration to counter ONE DOCTRINE unit, not to mention the implication it would have vs USF and Brits.

Also, not everyone picks IS-2 every game!
5 Dec 2019, 15:01 PM

This looks like a laundry list of nerfing the entire Soviet faction. It took YEARS to make T-34 somewhat viable and we should its nerf it again?

"Ram" has little to do with balance of the unit, it is simply "cheesy".
5 Dec 2019, 15:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Dec 2019, 15:01 PMVipper

"Ram" has little to do with balance of the unit, it is simply "cheesy".

Its a high risk/high reward game play at the cost of a tank. I was triggered by "Tone down MG damage" you mentioned.
5 Dec 2019, 15:07 PM

Nerfing T-70, IS-2 and cons (which we finally buffed to offset Penals) will make the Soviet faction crap just like the Brits. 2 v 2 is a different game mode and majority of the issues listed here for T-70 are negligible in higher game modes, not to mention IS-2 gets completely shutdown in 4 v 4.

Every faction has its strengths & weakness meaning Soviets get crap mainline infantry while its light vehicles are the best. You cannot just nerf both T-70 and Cons. No way Soviets can hold off Falls and Obers mid/late game unless the Soviet player microed the hell out of his T-70 and kept it alive to fight them.

I wouldn't even touch the IS-2 because its mainly in a doctrine and part of countering this unit is dependent on a competent player. Just like Soviets and Allies to have to re-think strategies of countering elephant. Also, IS-2 has a notoriously long repair time!

Disagree on that count. 7 man cons are incredibly potent infantry when parked behind green cover. I'd also point out that Soviet infantry also includes Guards and Shocks that can easily compete with their respective counterparts.

The IS-2 comparison isn't quite accurate because the Elefant has direct counters, and only shuts down frontal armored assaults. By contrast, the IS-2 will deal with everything that's on the battlefield, and it's only reliable counter is a Tiger.
5 Dec 2019, 15:08 PM

Its a high risk/high reward game play at the cost of a tank. I was triggered by "Tone down MG damage" you mentioned.

Well Soviet tanks have little reason to have MG with the DPS of the 3 axis tank get at the cost of MU.

And there are many reason for that.

Generally speaking vehicles MG need an overhaul so that the that have similar profiles.
5 Dec 2019, 15:13 PM

Disagree on that count. 7 man cons are incredibly potent infantry when parked behind green cover. I'd also point out that Soviet infantry also includes Guards and Shocks that can easily compete with their respective counterparts.

The IS-2 comparison isn't quite accurate because the Elefant has direct counters, and only shuts down frontal armored assaults. By contrast, the IS-2 will deal with everything that's on the battlefield, and it's only reliable counter is a Tiger.

How are you struggling vs cons when they are plenty of units like Obers, Falls, PGs, LMG/G43 Grens, and plus combined arms play?

5 Dec 2019, 15:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Dec 2019, 15:08 PMVipper

Well Soviet tanks have little reason to have MG with the DPS of the 3 axis tank get at the cost of MU.

Generally speaking vehicles MG need an overhaul so that the that have similar profiles.

Can you like.....stop?
5 Dec 2019, 15:52 PM

Soviets have no ai upgrade outside the 7th man or nade non doc. The t70 being strong but coming latest compensates that. Shocks and guards being potent have nothing to do with cons being potent late game, they are doctrinal.
While guards and shocks can compete against doc and non doc inf, cons coudnt against almost every inf beat them handsdown without 7th man after ai upgrades hit the field. They where just a expensive snare unit nothing more. Now they can defend and force more input to dislodge them.

The tiger also counters everything sov. So why is only the is2 the problem? That said i do feel heavies in general come to early. They need a delay across the board.
5 Dec 2019, 16:01 PM

How are you struggling vs cons when they are plenty of units like Obers, Falls, PGs, LMG/G43 Grens, and plus combined arms play?

Because my units are mostly 4 man that aren't that difficult to wipe. Good luck nailing 7 man cons. Losing a vet 3 gren is devastating. Losing a vet 3 7-man con isn't a big deal because due to the upgrade they are easily replaced.

Soviets have no ai upgrade outside the 7th man or nade non doc. The t70 being strong but coming latest compensates that. Shocks and guards being potent have nothing to do with cons being potent late game, they are doctrinal.
While guards and shocks can compete against doc and non doc inf, cons coudnt against almost every inf beat them handsdown without 7th man after ai upgrades hit the field. They where just a expensive snare unit nothing more. Now they can defend and force more input to dislodge them.

The tiger also counters everything sov. So why is only the is2 the problem? That said i do feel heavies in general come to early. They need a delay across the board.

Because the point of Conscripts is that they are supposed to be high utility units, not DPS machines. That's what Penals are for. But now with the 7 man they do get high dps in cover on top of maintaining all its utility and being very difficult to kill.

As for the IS2 and Tiger, the difference is that the Su85 has enough penetration and damage to deal with a Tiger. Axis do not have a tank destroyer that can do likewise.
5 Dec 2019, 16:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Dec 2019, 15:08 PMVipper

This is an interesting point, but more of design issue than the current state of balance in regards to the Soviets. Perhaps a separate thread would be useful for that.
5 Dec 2019, 16:23 PM

Because my units are mostly 4 man that aren't that difficult to wipe. Good luck nailing 7 man cons. Losing a vet 3 gren is devastating. Losing a vet 3 7-man con isn't a big deal because due to the upgrade they are easily replaced.

This is not an argument for nerfing cons but bad micro/luck and faction design.
5 Dec 2019, 16:31 PM

I'd like to see the potency of the T70 toned down a fair bit, with a cost reduction and subsequent cost reduction to tier 3 to make an m5 rush or 7 man con rush more viable.

I also feel 7 man cons are a bit on the strong side but I'm not entirely sure what exactly to change to fix it. I think probably reduce the in cover combat bonus as a start and perhaps remove it altogether if it's still too strong. Even without it, you still have a 17% boost in HP and firepower due to extra man, the vet gain increase and the reduced reinforce cost.

Peniles are also an issue... maybe the trick is turning them more of a utility unit, give them minesweeper, the option to build cover/tank traps(and remove sandbags from cons)and perform demolitions(satchel) but severely reduce combat capability and cost. Dont allow them to repair to prevent too much role overlap with engineers. Keep ptrs but remove the snare.
5 Dec 2019, 16:35 PM

I'd like to see the potency of the T70 toned down a fair bit, with a cost reduction and subsequent cost reduction to tier 3 to make an m5 rush or 7 man con rush more viable.

As long as T-70 does not become Stuart 2.0 then yes the accuracy can be tone down.
5 Dec 2019, 16:50 PM

I don't think its a good idea to buff Panther's penetration to counter ONE DOCTRINE unit, not to mention the implication it would have vs USF and Brits.

Also, not everyone picks IS-2 every game!

USF and UKF don't really have anything that is impacted by a Panther with higher Penetration. And indeed not everyone uses IS-2 every match, but are we suggesting that a Soviets are OP even when using a doctrine like Partisan Tactics?
5 Dec 2019, 17:33 PM

This is not an argument for nerfing cons but bad micro/luck and faction design.

Nonsense. If the cheapest main line infantry all of a sudden becomes incredibly difficult to kill, while maintaining all their utility (sprint, at grenade, molotov, ability to put down flares and build cover) and being able to beat Grens and Volks while charging into them, there is a problem.

Especially when combined with other factors like the IS2 and T70.
5 Dec 2019, 17:33 PM

This post highlights the problem with Sov.
They have a solution for everything at any phase of the game. Doctrine plays a part now that their stock units are so good.

Tiger does not counter SU85 sorry. 60TD needs to drop some range then we say. :(
IS2 instead counters everything Wehr have, maybe except Elefant...
5 Dec 2019, 17:35 PM

To balance the game just keep the design as it was intended.

Germans get lategame quality, Soviets get numbers.

That can be fixed with an Ostheer T4 buff (Brummbär range back to 40, slight armor increase, Panther accuracy buff) and OKW vet buffs (you know... the faction that was supposed to have 5 vet levels).

Imo US also dominate with Rifles and Jacksons that this won't screw the balance. As for Brits? Well those need a total redesign anyways.
5 Dec 2019, 17:46 PM

This post highlights the problem with Sov.
They have a solution for everything at any phase of the game. Doctrine plays a part now that their stock units are so good.

Tiger does not counter SU85 sorry. 60TD needs to drop some range then we say. :(
IS2 instead counters everything Wehr have, maybe except Elefant...

Wehr doesn't have an answer to everything at every stage of the game?
PAGES (17)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS