Login

russian armor

How to counter Ostheer mg spam as Usf

26 Oct 2019, 15:49 PM

İ am strugling aganist ost mg spam as usf. I am open to logical advice.
26 Oct 2019, 16:23 PM

Get a mortar. If it doesn't kill the mgs for you, smoke em
26 Oct 2019, 17:03 PM

I used to get owned by 2 mg combo again Wehr. Now I get a mortar after my first Riflemen Squad. After that I get a second Riflemen to easy flanking.
26 Oct 2019, 18:01 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

2x mortar. People say the USF mor is bad, and it may not be the OST mortar, but it does its job well enough.
28 Oct 2019, 11:07 AM

Just smoke and flank bro
28 Oct 2019, 11:08 AM

Just flank and smoke bro
28 Oct 2019, 11:09 AM

Just smoke and flank bro

this x100

dont know why people find it so hard to just use smoke, god forbid you have to do something other than blob rifles
28 Oct 2019, 11:16 AM

this x100

dont know why people find it so hard to just use smoke, god forbid you have to do something other than blob rifles

I only play the Soviet Union exclusively so I can only suggest build LeFH to counter
28 Oct 2019, 11:31 AM

Light vehicles are pretty good if the enemy lacks grenadiers to faust, the wc51 with upgraded cavalry rifleman inside can wipe them pretty quick, but needs to get close and might take some damage while closing in if you don't plan accordingly you might lose the wc51 to small arms (hmg) fire, you can shoot the hmg from afar with the upgraded wc51 .50 cal or the m20 .50 cal, but you should be ready for a 222 by getting some zooks or atleast space out your rifleman or keep them near your vehicles if they have at grenade from vet1 available. Other then those early game options grenades sometimes work wonders against teamweapon heavy playstyles and green cover allows you to ignore the supression from the mg42 and might not always win the fight but atleast shift it in your favour.
If you prefer to play with the Captain tier the m15 halftrack is pretty strong against no or low faust buildorders aswell but you have to keep on the move if the enemy gets an atgun and should always stand still against 222s (otherwise only the mgs not the maingun will fire) which might be a bit tougher to micro or might force you to push and wipe the atgun or the 222(s) in the long run.
Getting your own hmgs or a spotting unit like pathfinders (extra sigh range) early migth be helpful as you can return the favour or might find it easier to flank and wipe singled out or bad positioned hmgs.
28 Oct 2019, 12:10 PM

u have a tier 0 mortar, use it
28 Oct 2019, 12:11 PM

Pick mechanized

Start building a WC51 as you approach 2CP

Once it pops, throw cav rifles into it

Start buying their weapon upgrade immediately

Ambush the MGs

Steal them

Now the Ost player has to counter double MG42s (armed with grease guns)
28 Oct 2019, 12:24 PM

I usually try to steal an mg. Drive behind it and jump out. Smoke and run over it. If you steal it, it is usually GG. Grens won't be able to get it back. Another option is to wait in green cover and shoot from there. You will drain it's health. Then smoke and you steal it. Last but not least - just cap everywhere with all your units. They will be outcapped badly as mg playstyle is much less mobile and you cap with more squads including echelons.
28 Oct 2019, 12:31 PM

Start building a WC51 as you approach 2CP

You mean 1 CP?
28 Oct 2019, 13:37 PM

İ am strugling aganist ost mg spam as usf. I am open to logical advice.

Mortar can offer free smoke and barrage garrisoned buildings. Other than that, certain commanders offer tools for countering MGs, such as the WC51 (Mechanized: be careful not to lose vehicles to the MG42's AP rounds, however, as it can very quickly destroy light vehicles) and "Fire Up" (Rifle Company) for flanking, and rear echelon rifle grenades (Urban Assault) for driving the MG out of buildings and cover, or otherwise attacking the MG from beyond cover. Think of it as a more mobile mortar; it's about as good as your regular one when it comes to killing.

If you are really feeling ballsy, you can tech to grenades which will help with wiping out team weapons and stealing them. I used to like to do this with Rifle Company since you can get close with the Fire Up ability and then pop a grenade, hopefully without getting suppressed beforehand.

If you go captain, you can also use his "On Me!" ability to remove suppression from a squad. It is worth noting that this ability is supposed to retreat units to the captain, but you can make the squad stop or move towards the enemy instead; the movement portion of the ability is not a hard retreat function and can be easily overridden.

2x mortar. People say the USF mor is bad, and it may not be the OST mortar, but it does its job well enough.

2x Mortar early game as USF - honestly any faction probably - is sure suicide in anything lower than a 3v3.

You should only ever be using USF mortar for smoke so doubling up isn't going to help anyway.
28 Oct 2019, 14:56 PM

You mean 1 CP?

Yes. pardon my phone typing.
28 Oct 2019, 15:38 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

2x Mortar early game as USF - honestly any faction probably - is sure suicide in anything lower than a 3v3.

You should only ever be using USF mortar for smoke so doubling up isn't going to help anyway.

I disagree. I think going mortar before you can defend them is suicide. Once you have riflemen to protect them, they're capable support teams. Plus this is against MG spam. It's not like he's going to be pushing your flanks with them.
28 Oct 2019, 15:41 PM

Yeah I take "mg spam" to mean at least 3 MGs. If he has 3 or more mg42s, 2 mortars definitely won't hurt you
28 Oct 2019, 16:17 PM

Afaik, the USF mortar is an exact copy of the Ostheer mortar, except it has 5 less range (75 instead of 80) and gets reduced smoke barrage cooldown instead of counterbarrage at vet 1.

Because scatter doesn't depend on the maximum range of a unit (unlike accuracy), it will have the same performance as the Ostheer mortar at the same ranges.

So while it might not have the same flexibility as the Ostheer mortar, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's only good for smoke.
28 Oct 2019, 16:45 PM

Afaik, the USF mortar is an exact copy of the Ostheer mortar, except it has 5 less range (75 instead of 80) and gets reduced smoke barrage cooldown instead of counterbarrage at vet 1.

Because scatter doesn't depend on the maximum range of a unit (unlike accuracy), it will have the same performance as the Ostheer mortar at the same ranges.

So while it might not have the same flexibility as the Ostheer mortar, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's only good for smoke.

Besides slower setup/teardown and lesser range, the USF Mortar suffers from worse AOE distances that reduce overall damage output, and unlike the Ostheer mortar the barrage offers no improvement to scatter. I just can't justify building it on the basis of anything other than free smoke, and would never build one if I develop towards grenade techs instead.

In the context of 3+ MGs being suggested here I suppose it could be useful, however, though still more as an anti-garrison weapon as the barrage is not reliably capable of killing or sufficiently damaging (so as to incur a retreat) a MG crew out in the open IMO. Last time I bought the bullet on building double mortars in a 2v2 we got rolled and both mortars ended up feeling pretty useless with maybe 1-2 kills between them, despite heavy MG useage by Ostheer player.

If you can stomach the fuel and muni costs I'd say grenades are a more reliable investment most of the time.
28 Oct 2019, 18:09 PM

Besides slower setup/teardown and lesser range, the USF Mortar suffers from worse AOE distances that reduce overall damage output, and unlike the Ostheer mortar the barrage offers no improvement to scatter. I just can't justify building it on the basis of anything other than free smoke, and would never build one if I develop towards grenade techs instead.

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong weapon in the tools, there's apparently two different ones (m1_81mm_mortar_mp and m1_81mm_mortar_team_mp), hence the confusion.

Yeah, seems like the USF mortar only has drawbacks over other mortars.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★