Thanks for the insights.
Soviet, OKW, OST, and USF computers play somewhat normally. It normally seems like Soviet>OKW>OST>USF, but there aren't huge differences.
I agree that Soviet is the toughest AI opponent...especially with the ZiS barrages. I also feel like the computer plays differently depending on the composition (i.e., 4 Soviets play differently than 2SOV/2USF), so they must look at allies as part of their decision making as well.
UKF...is trash XD
Teammate drops - AI decides you are okay - AI continues normal build
Teammate drops - AI decides you're a wanker - AI spams Kubels to cap behind the lines
Accurate. However, the capping ability for an AI is sometimes better than the dropper anyway...
Relic needs a way to decide which units to make. This changes after each patch. So it is my belief that they do a calc that decides how much a unit costs and how much DPS it can do. So you will see that after each new patch, the AI will start to spam a different unit. And it is a weak indicator as to what is OP during this patch.
Hadn't thought about a score or value proposition for each unit, but that would be one way to work around some of the issues with deciding on which units to build that would "update" as stats are updated.
Some obvious things as your enemy:
- The AI has no Fog of War. So they will run around your units and cap points behind you.
- The AI will park its vehicles in front of your AT weapons.
- The AI will hunt down your sniper.
- The AI will step on or drive over your mines.
- The AI will move its units to the position you tell your units to travel to. So never click far away or use rally points or you will be met by the AI at that point.
- The AI will spam light vehicles with all that extra fuel it gets.
- The AI tends to put bunkers/bofors/etc on your fuel cutoff.
Things as your team mate (still enemy):
- The AI will drive its vehicles behind yours to block them and get them killed. This seems to be code that tries to support your advances but the code is not so good.
- The AI will steal your team weapons etc if you tell your units to take it. So you need to move your units nearby, but not too close to it.
- Since the AI has no FOW, you can almost use it as a recon source. Since it will move to areas where no enemies exist.
Didn't realize the AI will rally to your movement...but I was aware of the other points - especially the team weapon snatching and parking lot antics
And of course it is completely broken for many factions:
- OST AI will send a pio out to cap a point as it makes a new one. Then it will call the first back to build a building while the 2nd is standing in the base.
- OKW will spam Kubels at all points in a game. Must be calculated as powerful for its cost???
These are some of great examples of some of the bizarre AI behavior. I'm sure there are many more out there as well.
Any idea how they decide which commander to pick? I don't think it's straight randomness - I feel like it's partially dependent on map and army composition.