Login

russian armor

Suppression mechanic: How does it REALLY works ?

19 Sep 2019, 21:42 PM

Very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

On top of that, testing 7 squads of conscripts with 1 model, will make suppressing the targeted model takes ages as opposed as previous results (like 15 bursts and only 1 squad been suppressed).

Do we at all know why this happens? Seems like a weird phenomenon. Like what mechanic is it that makes suppression affect larger squads to a higher degree (if that's a correct statement)?
19 Sep 2019, 22:51 PM

Do we at all know why this happens? Seems like a weird phenomenon. Like what mechanic is it that makes suppression affect larger squads to a higher degree (if that's a correct statement)?

it probably incremental accuracy.
20 Sep 2019, 17:50 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Incremental accuracy, which at first, should only matter if you were trying to suppress multiple squads.
The thing is, there is something else which matters as well.

New set of tests:

Test 1:
Testing the same MG34/MG42 against 1 model on the open. Results are the same as before with complete squads.

Test 2:
6 x squads of 1 model Cons behind a sandbag at range 20 against MG34. It takes ages (16 bursts).

Test 3:
Now this is the interesting part.

6 x squads of 1 model behind sandbag at the left (A).
JUST RIGHT OF IT, a 6 model Con squad on NO COVER (B).
1 model Conscript squad right of the 6 model squad in NO COVER (C).
1 x squad of 6 model behind cover (D).

T 3.1:
If i aim at the right most model of (A), the 6 man conscript squad will not be suppressed. EVEN if all the bullets are hitting the unit (2.00 acc (MG34) x 0.5 (cover)), which should be what matters for suppression AOE. I tested both, perfectly aligned (by cancelling a sandbag construction) and spread formation.

T 3.2:
Same situation but now i aim at (C) which is farther aside from (B), compared to (A). 1st burst suppress on (C), 2nd burst pin (as before) and at this point it also suppresses (B) as it should.

T 3.3:
1 squad of 6 models behind sandbag (D) and (B). Aiming at (D) doesn't seems to change the result (i suppress in 5 bursts) but (B) doesn't get suppress after 2 mags (12 bursts)

IMPORTART PART: Aiming at the squad OUT OF COVER, suppresses the squad behind cover in 2 bursts (normal 5).

Test 4:
MG42 (1% accuracy) aiming at (B) -no cover-, suppresses in 1 burst (D) -cover unit- as well.

This is something which doesn't align with what we know of suppression at all.
20 Sep 2019, 18:05 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Making a summary:

Suppression is supposed to apply to the squad you are aiming, and AoE suppression (which should apply on hits) is what matters for suppressing other squads around the one you are aiming.

What is happening.

1- Accuracy matters regardless of individual or multiple squads. This is seen by vanilla tests (units with better RA taking longer to suppress) or by modded cases (testing MGs with 200% and 1% accuracy).

2- Squad size matters as well. Suppression against 4 model is inferior than 6.

3- Multiple squads with few models =/= single squad with same amount of models in total. This means that you can't suppress equally a blob of 6 squads with 1 model vs 1 squad with 6 models.

4- If hits is only what matters to apply AoE suppression, then at 100% accuracy, it should be applying it constantly which is not happening on test.

From point 4 and further tests, it doesn't seem to be the case which really confuses me. MG42 (1% acc) shouldn't be suppressing at all the squad behind cover as it's not hitting it at all.
20 Sep 2019, 21:46 PM

Test 4:
MG42 (1% accuracy) aiming at (B) -no cover-, suppresses in 1 burst (D) -cover unit- as well.

4- If hits is only what matters to apply AoE suppression, then at 100% accuracy, it should be applying it constantly which is not happening on test.

From point 4 and further tests, it doesn't seem to be the case which really confuses me. MG42 (1% acc) shouldn't be suppressing at all the squad behind cover as it's not hitting it at all.

Well, there goes everything.

The only thing I can think of is that the non-AoE suppression is being applied as suppression to other squads somehow (rather than just the Aoe Component) - I'm just not sure on what numbers it's using to do that (RA? Some kind of other magic number?).
20 Sep 2019, 22:01 PM

One should probably set incremental accuracy to 0 and see how it goes.
21 Sep 2019, 00:17 AM

Incremental accuracy, which at first, should only matter if you were trying to suppress multiple squads.
The thing is, there is something else which matters as well.

New set of tests:

Test 1:
Testing the same MG34/MG42 against 1 model on the open. Results are the same as before with complete squads.

Test 2:
6 x squads of 1 model Cons behind a sandbag at range 20 against MG34. It takes ages (16 bursts).

Test 3:
Now this is the interesting part.

6 x squads of 1 model behind sandbag at the left (A).
JUST RIGHT OF IT, a 6 model Con squad on NO COVER (B).
1 model Conscript squad right of the 6 model squad in NO COVER (C).
1 x squad of 6 model behind cover (D).

T 3.1:
If i aim at the right most model of (A), the 6 man conscript squad will not be suppressed. EVEN if all the bullets are hitting the unit (2.00 acc (MG34) x 0.5 (cover)), which should be what matters for suppression AOE. I tested both, perfectly aligned (by cancelling a sandbag construction) and spread formation.

T 3.2:
Same situation but now i aim at (C) which is farther aside from (B), compared to (A). 1st burst suppress on (C), 2nd burst pin (as before) and at this point it also suppresses (B) as it should.

T 3.3:
1 squad of 6 models behind sandbag (D) and (B). Aiming at (D) doesn't seems to change the result (i suppress in 5 bursts) but (B) doesn't get suppress after 2 mags (12 bursts)

IMPORTART PART: Aiming at the squad OUT OF COVER, suppresses the squad behind cover in 2 bursts (normal 5).

Test 4:

Huh. Interesting.
23 Sep 2019, 16:03 PM

so, increased accuracy bulletins can potentially increase supression?
23 Sep 2019, 18:39 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Sep 2019, 16:03 PMzerocoh
so, increased accuracy bulletins can potentially increase supression?

Indeed.

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2019, 22:01 PMVipper
One should probably set incremental accuracy to 0 and see how it goes.

This would be good to test how much incremental accuracy affects suppression against single targets but it does't explain how suppression to blobs/multiple targets actually works.

8 Feb 2021, 13:48 PM

Indeed.

This would be good to test how much incremental accuracy affects suppression against single targets but it does't explain how suppression to blobs/multiple targets actually works.

Actually, the part that any weapon can suppress is something that was mentioned by Relic a few years ago in one of their streams when they were showing off the new factions of the Western Front Armies DLC. The example was done with Volks suppressing single targets of a Riflesquad without Volks using any ability or vet unlock. This particular gamedesign idea was dropped in subsequent versions of the game, but it left a longlasting impression that that any weapons inflict some suppression. There are probably still some left-overs of that somewhere in the code.
8 Feb 2021, 14:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Actually, the part that any weapon can suppress is something that was mentioned by Relic a few years ago in one of their streams when they were showing off the new factions of the Western Front Armies DLC. The example was done with Volks suppressing single targets of a Riflesquad without Volks using any ability or vet unlock. This particular gamedesign idea was dropped in subsequent versions of the game, but it left a longlasting impression that that any weapons inflict some suppression. There are probably still some left-overs of that somewhere in the code.

UKF weapon crew, Obers Kar, Osttruppen and USF carbines (non RET), with only the first 2 having the property to suppress. The other 2 have suppression 0 but they still have some modifiers other than 0 on their profile.
8 Feb 2021, 15:16 PM

UKF weapon crew, Obers Kar, Osttruppen and USF carbines (non RET), with only the first 2 having the property to suppress. The other 2 have suppression 0 but they still have some modifiers other than 0 on their profile.

I'm glad that wasn't put across the board. I already thought back then that it was over the top suppression, and the Leigoktober fest (a month of suppressing LEig) showcased that. That was a horrible idea..
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★