Login

russian armor

KW-1 needs a closer look

29 Jul 2019, 19:50 PM

So a 30% and 41% chance to bounce dedicated anti tank units. For the sake of comparison, since we have established that the kv is just a more durable t34 (going by the 160 more health AND 0.8 damage modifier) what is the t-34s chance to bounce those dedicated AT units. It sure has to be pretty close to the kv-1 for there not to be any advantages over the 34 right? I'm betting the t34 is going to bounce the pak 20% of the time and Shreks 30% cause if it's anything lower, like say 0% chance to bounce coupled with the significantly less health I think id pick a kv-1 when I can afford one simply die to the undiniably improved durability.
But of course it HAS to be closer than that for you to down play 30 and 40% chance to bounce dedicated counters.

...and you get 1,5x T34 for 1x KW-1- > Nearly same health, earlier timing, less armour much more damage, speed, accleration and utility.

Okay lets turn it around. Would you leave the KW-1 exactly as it is because you say it is balanced (including timing, population, 1/5 doctrinal spot and cost of course)?
29 Jul 2019, 20:02 PM

KV1 main appeal is being able to survive raketen ambushes and being a damage sponge for other units.

A buff on its mgs wouldn't hurt. A vet1 smoke round could be usefull as long as they work as the cromwell. It will help other, more mobile units, to exploit it to breach a position.
29 Jul 2019, 20:05 PM

I do think that the KV1 is slightly UP, I just don't agree with the statement that the timing of the KV1 is the parameter that makes it UP.

Timing is a big part of a unit beeing up, balanced or op. Imagine the KW-1 would come at T2, it would be op as hell. Just wanted to say it wouldn't be slightly up if it would hit the field earlier, timing is a part of balance.
29 Jul 2019, 20:06 PM

KV1 main appeal is being able to survive raketen ambushes and being a damage sponge for other units.

A buff on its mgs wouldn't hurt. A vet1 smoke round could be usefull as long as they work as the cromwell. It will help other, more mobile units, to exploit it to breach a position.

Thanks, yeah that was excactly what I was aiming for. Nothing that would make it op suddenly, but a bit more useful in regards to AI damage and utility.
29 Jul 2019, 22:44 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Same mg as T34 and call it a day?
29 Jul 2019, 22:45 PM

...and you get 1,5x T34 for 1x KW-1- > Nearly same health, earlier timing, less armour much more damage, speed, accleration and utility.

Okay lets turn it around. Would you leave the KW-1 exactly as it is because you say it is balanced (including timing, population, 1/5 doctrinal spot and cost of course)?

Except you can't buy half a unit...
I said previously that a buff to the hull MG would go a miss but I'm arguing against the fat that the tank is worthless and most recently against your claim that its durability isn't a valuable trait including acting like a 30-40% chance to bounce things that the t34 cannot bounce is underwhelming.
29 Jul 2019, 22:58 PM

Except you can't buy half a unit...

Yeah of course. let say you get the third T34 a the time you get the second KW-1 and you have 20 fuel left to spare elsewhere ;-)

I said previously that a buff to the hull MG would go a miss but I'm arguing against the fat that the tank is worthless and most recently against your claim that its durability isn't a valuable trait including acting like a 30-40% chance to bounce things that the t34 cannot bounce is underwhelming.

Then we are talking past each other. I never said that it is worthless but that it is somehow underwhelming. Main reason is the very low damage output for timing and cost. And I don't proposed some big change to its stats. But my point in the comparison with T34 is, that speed is survivability too. The T34 can't bounce that shoots, but it can evade and it can flank (and ram if needed). Thats all things the KW-1 fails at badly, it simply has to eat more shells. Can't remember when I saw a KW-1 the last time, let alone more than one in a game. It surely wasn't this month. I'm all in for diversity and picking different tanks, thats the reason why buff of Ostwind was a good thing for example. Before in 2vs2 and up (which I play mainly) it was mostly Stug/PzIV into Panther/Brummbar. No I see Ostwinds quite often, thats a plus for diversity.
29 Jul 2019, 23:03 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Timing is a big part of a unit beeing up, balanced or op. Imagine the KW-1 would come at T2, it would be op as hell. Just wanted to say it wouldn't be slightly up if it would hit the field earlier, timing is a part of balance.

Yes I never doubted that. But an early timing allows only the first unit perform well as a shock unit, while all others are wasted resources. That's why nobody builds the scout car/flamer half track/UC etc after the early game has passed, as those units have lost their shock value and are not worth the price anymore.
The KV1 is a premium medium, so it should hit the field at around the same time other mediums to enable the enemy to better counter it. If not, you need to decrew the one PaK that your enemy has at the time your KV1 comes out and it's probably gg cause you can drive right into the base.
The KV1 is better off if it's performance matches it's cost, so it's usable at any time point in the game and not a one trick pony. Basically just like any other tank call-in in the game.
29 Jul 2019, 23:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

But since KV1 is doctrinal, you are always free to not choose its commander, specially if it doesnt perform very well vs OKW.

I do agree with the rest of the post though.

I think the game benefits most if we aim for all doctrines being usable against all factions (in general). Especially Axis would be hurt otherwise, as they have to face three different factions. It promotes creative play and different strategies, not just "fight against faction X -> take commander Z as a hard counter".

Just look at what happened to Osttruppen. They perform very well against Brits as they drag out the fights and can trade decently, but they're trash against USF since they tend to get overrun. In my opinion that's bad design. Sometimes you can't avoid some side effects and some commanders being better against some factions will always happen, but we should not aim for reinforcing that trend.
29 Jul 2019, 23:12 PM

Same mg as T34 and call it a day?

I really would wish it would have something unique to russian tanks. That was the reason I talked about about a smoke shell or infantry supression ability. Something that really stands out apart from more survivabilty. IS-2 and KW-2 both come later, are limited to 1 and are more expensive but they are even more durable in armour and health and put quite some punch on the field. In addition you can have KW-2 with doctrinal repair abilities and thats really nice if you want to bring it quickly back. So its not really unique for a KW-1 to be durable among soviet tanks. T34/85 and KW-8 can take some punch too, although not as much as a KW-1, but at the same time they are really a threat to axis units. One KW-1 on the field will be enough, you don't need multiple damage sponges, you are better of combining with a SU-85 for example. Buff to MG and smoke shell wouldn't change that, but I'm sure you would see it more often combined with other units.
29 Jul 2019, 23:20 PM

Yes I never doubted that. But an early timing allows only the first unit perform well as a shock unit, while all others are wasted resources. That's why nobody builds the scout car/flamer half track/UC etc after the early game has passed, as those units have lost their shock value and are not worth the price anymore.
The KV1 is a premium medium, so it should hit the field at around the same time other mediums to enable the enemy to better counter it. If not, you need to decrew the one PaK that your enemy has at the time your KV1 comes out and it's probably gg cause you can drive right into the base.
The KV1 is better off if it's performance matches it's cost, so it's usable at any time point in the game and not a one trick pony. Basically just like any other tank call-in in the game.

Acknowledged (just wanted to provoke a little bit) :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★