Login

russian armor

So are they really nerfing the Churchill Tank?

PAGES (10)down
19 Jul 2019, 11:22 AM

Why do u calc with the far range accu? Why not mid and near? this church istn buid for staying all the time at far range and wait to killed by stug. mostly it is easy to come in close range with it....unless you are not bad at playing.

Because literally every vehicle other then ele/JT is faster then churchill and will have zero problems staying at max range and stug vs churchill at close range is as unrealistic scenario as shocks trying to outgun LMG grens at max range.

Churchill sure isn't built for staying at long range, but is sure isn't built to be able to close on literally anything that comes before 15cp either, unless you have worse micro skills then easy ai.

well even if u flank it's no different from fighting a p4 with 1400 hp

Why would you flank churchill with a panther that doesn't have any problems penning it frontally?

btw ur bias is slipping out kat, i didn't know panther beats AT infantry AT guns and heavy tanks

You didn't knew that, because you probably don't know how to micro panther to get most out of its MGs vs infantry. And yes, it can beat AT infantry and AT guns if there is no mainline with a snare waiting for it, it just gets behind ATG and pushes AT inf while MGs do the work.

I won't even address the fact that you didn't knew a panther can beat heavy tanks despite it being specifically balanced for that single purpose.
19 Jul 2019, 11:33 AM

I thibk it should be clear that the theoretical calculation does not account for scatter and is therefore somewhat flawed, but it is a way better and more comparable model thean just crying 'XYZ OP!'.

Testing is better if you have a sufficient sample size, and the theoretical calculation can give you an idea of how big your sample size needs to be to get reliable results.

It's more than somewhat flawed, to the point the results are close to useless.

In my ingame test the shots that hit & bounced the Stug were 30,88%, which is reasonably close to the 29,17% the Churchill statistically has to bounce it. -> Good!

Meanwhile, 15% of the ingame shots missed, which is far better than the 57,5% chance to miss without accounting for scatter would suggest. -> Bad!

I think we can agree in this case my small sample size gives far more accurate results than comparing the two statistically while ignoring scatter as a factor.
19 Jul 2019, 11:40 AM

It's more than somewhat flawed, to the point it causes even more confusion.

In my ingame test the shots that hit & bounced the Stug were 30,88%, which is reasonably close to the 29,17% the Churchill statistically has to bounce it. -> Good!

Meanwhile, 15% of the ingame shots missed, which is far better than the 57,5% chance to miss without accounting for scatter would suggest. -> Bad!

I think we can agree in this case my small sample size gives far more accurate results than comparing the two statistically while ignoring scatter.

If you wanted a side to side comparison, testing is faster than calculating scatter. I can sadly do neither from my phone, and would need to do a butt ton of work to estimate scatter accurately even with the in game stats.

But that's not what my post was.

I posted it purely in the context of, on paper discounting scatter, the StuG and MK VII take similar shot counts to kill each other. Which is a vague point I did not originally bring up.

Somebody said it was BS and I laid out the numbers as to why it is not.

That was it. That was the whole context of my post. The only conclusion I put out about it was that a pair of StuG, who cannot miss so scatter doesn't matter, are ample to counter a Churchill. Which they are.
19 Jul 2019, 11:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2019, 11:22 AMKatitof

You didn't knew that, because you probably don't know how to micro panther to get most out of its MGs vs infantry. And yes, it can beat AT infantry and AT guns if there is no mainline with a snare waiting for it, it just gets behind ATG and pushes AT inf while MGs do the work.

I won't even address the fact that you didn't knew a panther can beat heavy tanks despite it being specifically balanced for that single purpose.
can't inf just park behind cover, the damage is from the mg after all even yellow cover cut it by half already ? And if we got by flanking wouldn't that be pretty much universal

what u said was true, with high armor and pen it could easily deal with heavy tank, now that it has much less armor the Pershing beats it, same for is 2, obv if u stay at range u can win but u said panther engaging not constantly kiting

BTW since u say it beats AT infantry i tested it, put 2 RE with PIAT vs a panther in open field first, and they won with 3 man remaining, while in cover they lost only 2 man, so stop with the meme that panther AI is the best, and panther has 0.5 moving accuracy so the mgs get half the dps while moving while the infantry will get the job done especially if it snares it while u try to move them in like u said
19 Jul 2019, 11:53 AM

If you wanted a side to side comparison, testing is faster than calculating scatter. I can sadly do neither from my phone, and would need to do a butt ton of work to estimate scatter accurately even with the in game stats.

But that's not what my post was.

I posted it purely in the context of, on paper discounting scatter, the StuG and MK VII take similar shot counts to kill each other. Which is a vague point I did not originally bring up.

That was it. That was the whole context of my post. The only conclusion I put out about it was that a pair of StuG, who cannot miss so scatter doesn't matter, are ample to counter a Churchill. Which they are.
as u would expect i mean they occupy more pop cap cost more and have less armor and hp, i at least expect 2 TD to beat a dedicated inf support tank
19 Jul 2019, 11:58 AM

can't inf just park behind cover, the damage is from the mg after all even yellow cover cut it by half already ? And if we got by flanking wouldn't that be pretty much universal

Not if you're up close and pushing. Below range 10 accuracy penalty against cover is negated.

what u said was true, with high armor and pen it could easily deal with heavy tank, now that it has much less armor the Pershing beats it, same for is 2, obv if u stay at range u can win but u said panther engaging not constantly kiting

Except pershing doesn't beat it unless vetted and bit lucky.
Engaging doesn't mean ramming your unit against opposing unit, it means participating in combat against it, how well its positioned during engagement is 100% up to your ability.
Kiting is also form of engagement, the one that benefits you while leaving opponent at disadvantage.

BTW since u say it beats AT infantry i tested it, put 2 RE with PIAT vs a panther in open field first, and they won with 3 man remaining, while in cover they lost only 2 man, so stop with the meme that panther AI is the best, and panther has 0.5 moving accuracy so the mgs get half the dps while moving while the infantry will get the job done especially if it snares it while u try to move them in like u said

Please stop with vacuum bullshit tests that couldn't be further from the reality of actual skirmish.
That kind of situation will never happen in game, unless you'll get matched up in 1v1 against ullu, which would be impossible as its impossible to match 2 axis factions against each other.
19 Jul 2019, 12:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2019, 11:58 AMKatitof

Not if you're up close and pushing. Below range 10 accuracy penalty against cover is negated.

Except pershing doesn't beat it unless vetted and bit lucky.
Engaging doesn't mean ramming your unit against opposing unit, it means participating in combat against it, how well its positioned during engagement is 100% up to your ability.
Kiting is also form of engagement, the one that benefits you while leaving opponent at disadvantage.

Please stop with vacuum bullshit tests that couldn't be further from the reality of actual skirmish.
That kind of situation will never happen in game, unless you'll get matched up in 1v1 against ullu, which would be impossible as its impossible to match 2 axis factions against each other.
ok what would be a realistic situation ? That the panther has perfect micro and manually avoid piat shoots ? if there are 2 squad with piat vs a panther and equal micro is put in the at inf wins, the panther mgs have only 35 range, and while moving they have half their dps, leaving aside the possibility of showing the rear to the other squad while u try to ram the other

BTW on the argument of kiting then all allied TDs have no counter ? i mean they are fast and have 60 range they can beat everything by ur logic
19 Jul 2019, 12:10 PM

You did defend Hannibal's "vague point" by posting your calculation which confirmed what he said, while only mentioning scatter as a sidenote. You didn't give your own conclusion, but supported his, comparing a single Stug to a single Churchill, not a pair.

My point is, you can't properly compare the two just with hit chance if 57,5% of the shots the Churchill fires (read: the misses) are affected by scatter.

Otherwise agreed that two Stugs should be enough to hold back a Churchill.
19 Jul 2019, 12:12 PM

ok what would be a realistic situation ? That the panther has perfect micro and manually avoid piat shoots ? if there are 2 squad with piat vs a panther and equal micro is put in the at inf wins, the panther mgs have only 35 range, and while moving they have half their dps, leaving aside the possibility of showing the rear to the other squad while u try to ram the other

I've said it already.
Pushing up close while pintle does the job when no snaring inf is around.
If there are 2 and you don't have specifically AI tank or massive damage sponge, you'll lose.

BTW on the argument of kiting then all allied TDs have no counter ? i mean they are fast and have 60 range they can beat everything by ur logic

Only if you're insisting on engaging tank destroyers with the one single thing they are supposed to kill easily.
19 Jul 2019, 12:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2019, 12:12 PMKatitof

I've said it already.
Pushing up close while pintle does the job when no snaring inf is around.
If there are 2 and you don't have specifically AI tank or massive damage sponge, you'll lose.

Only if you're insisting on engaging tank destroyers with the one single thing they are supposed to kill easily.
well I used 2 at infantry to balance resources (420 mp + 200 munitions vs 470 mp 185 fu)

and as I said already in open field with no cover it still loses (but at least cut the squad numbers in half) so going near would just deal more damage to the panther
19 Jul 2019, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

It's more than somewhat flawed, to the point the results are close to useless.

I think we can agree in this case my small sample size gives far more accurate results than comparing the two statistically while ignoring scatter as a factor.

Indeed, the good measurement accurary on the pen chances suggests that the real miss and scatter-hit chances are fairly accurate as well.
While the test will always work out in favor of the Churchill (since StuG always hits), I did not think that it would be that severe, especially since the StuGs model is not that big.
19 Jul 2019, 12:25 PM

Indeed, the good measurement accurary on the pen chances suggests that the real miss and scatter-hit chances are fairly accurate as well.
While the test will always work out in favor of the Churchill (since StuG always hits), I did not think that it would be that severe, especially since the StuGs model is not that big.

It surprised me too.

I guess it's partly because the Churchill has decent scatter. I forgot how it works exactly, but the Churchill's vertical scatter is 6, while most generalist tanks have around 6,5-7,5. Besides that it has a scatter offset of 0,3, which means the scatter area is displaced 30% further, while most generalist tanks have a scatter offset of only 0,25.
19 Jul 2019, 13:18 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

It surprised me too.

I guess it's partly because the Churchill has decent scatter. I forgot how it works exactly, but the Churchill's vertical scatter is 6, while most generalist tanks have around 6,5-7,5. Besides that it has a scatter offset of 0,3, which means the scatter area is displaced 30% further, while most generalist tanks have a scatter offset of only 0,25.

It also depends how the scatter values are calculated, so basically if the game just takes a random number in between the scatter boundaries (so each spot in the possible scatter area gets hit with equal probability) or if there is a normalized distribution around the center. We (or at least I) don't know enough about scatter to be able to calculate it
19 Jul 2019, 13:39 PM

It also depends how the scatter values are calculated, so basically if the game just takes a random number in between the scatter boundaries (so each spot in the possible scatter area gets hit with equal probability) or if there is a normalized distribution around the center. We (or at least I) don't know enough about scatter to be able to calculate it

You can check the scatter mechanics here:

https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/231279/a-guide-to-d-p-s-basics#latest

What make scatter calculation difficult is the target's "hitbox" and the angle the shot is fired from.

Bottom line here is the a Churchill will clearly beat a Stug -G at range 40.
19 Jul 2019, 17:35 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2019, 13:39 PMVipper

You can check the scatter mechanics here:

https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/231279/a-guide-to-d-p-s-basics#latest

What make scatter calculation difficult is the target's "hitbox" and the angle the shot is fired from.

Bottom line here is the a Churchill will clearly beat a Stug -G at range 40.

I did already know your guide, but thanks nevertheless.
The point it does not cover (and that was also the point of question in my post) is how the shots are distributed in the possible scatter area. Basically how the program picks the randomized values.
19 Jul 2019, 18:17 PM

Churchill is OP. With equal support the Brits have much higher chances of winning engagements in 1v1 against axis. IMO it's due to those extra abilities such as smoke repairs, grenades etc. U can just throw your sappers with at into main line and push. Add all brit artillery options and IS with lmgs and paks dont stand a chance. Panthers dont deal enough dmg to them to take them out fast enough to stop the push.
19 Jul 2019, 18:19 PM

Ah, a classy turn.

Six pages of discussion about the details, back and forth, before we get a brand new 'IT'S OP' and the whole circle begins again.

Round and round we go, where will we stop, nobody knows, like a wheel within a wheel...
19 Jul 2019, 18:26 PM

Churchill is OP. With equal support the Brits have much higher chances of winning engagements in 1v1 against axis. IMO it's due to those extra abilities such as smoke repairs, grenades etc. U can just throw your sappers with at into main line and push. Add all brit artillery options and IS with lmgs and paks dont stand a chance. Panthers dont deal enough dmg to them to take them out fast enough to stop the push.

That's why you're not supposed to sit on 1 panther, but build stugs.
As far as KRUPP STAHL goes, panther isn't answer to everything.
L2P.
19 Jul 2019, 18:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2019, 18:26 PMKatitof

That's why you're not supposed to sit on 1 panther, but build stugs.
As far as KRUPP STAHL goes, panther isn't answer to everything.
L2P.

And here we agree. The panther is not but is should be a hard counter to stuff like churchill (with support of course). BTW the whole combined arms are not the answer. Chrchill simply is OP. Brits have too easy life with this unit. I can't believe how ppl can even suggest churchill is too weak. Remember the game is about pushing you off the VPs. Axis can't be constantly moving away from churchills and fireflies kiting them.

Solution options:
1. Give panthers some munition paid tungsten rounds;
2. Give some axis units satchels to deal some decent damage when chrchill just overextends;
3. Increase the munition cost of those OP abilities such as grenades and smoke repairs. It should be emergency repairs not making sappers do other jobs instead of repairs (lots of players combine both sappers and smoke and repair them too fast).
19 Jul 2019, 18:55 PM

Oh, but it is most certainly a hard counter against churchill.
Its simply not efficient hardcounter since churchill doesn't require reliably penetration every 6 seconds, but volume of fire, which panthers will never be able to deliver, unless its 4v4 and you have multiple on your side, because you know, churchills role is to SOAK damage.
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS