Login

russian armor

M36 Jackson

PAGES (18)down
20 Jun 2019, 21:32 PM

The easy 8 should be turned into a short range panther
20 Jun 2019, 21:33 PM

Yeah man just have a sherman already bought to provide smoke cover for the seperately purchased TD to be able to flank the axis heavy lol. Why should USF have to jump through so many hurdles just to punish stupid Axis armor dives?

If your opponent has spammed M36 for some reason, why not push with infantry? If he has M8s or, God forbid, somehow M4 Shermans spammed as well, how did you let him have access to so much fuel?

M36s are already not capable of dives because of their weak armor and hp pool. A competent defensive setup of any sort could snare or destroy them unless you have wasted all your MP on bunkers or mp40 stormtroopers or something. M36 are however used to chase down and punish diving Axis tanks, like the Panther, which can otherwise tank, outrun, or deflect Allied AT options.

If M36 is giving you trouble as an offensive weapon, with its limited sight range and endurance (and zero AI power), I must question your strategy.
20 Jun 2019, 21:43 PM

Yeah man just have a sherman already bought to provide smoke cover for the seperately purchased TD to be able to flank the axis heavy lol. Why should USF have to jump through so many hurdles just to punish stupid Axis armor dives?

A stupid axis dive is countered by itself, leaving an axpensive tank with no rear armor prone to snares, bad positioning and yes bad moving acc.
Is an excuse to want to win using stupid strategies against higher level players? I find it an amusing one and a bad one too.

If your opponent has spammed M36 for some reason, why not push with infantry? If he has M8s or, God forbid, somehow M4 Shermans spammed as well, how did you let him have access to so much fuel?

Yeah vacuum fights are so easy to descifer, but there is no conclusion on them. M36 are spammed because they are EZ TDs. Wanna waste your prescious fuel on M4s because of memes? I dont think so. Also good luck fighting off a panther with M8s...
(enemy player is not always a retard)

M36s are already not capable of dives because of their weak armor and hp pool. A competent defensive setup of any sort could snare or destroy them unless you have wasted all your MP on bunkers or mp40 stormtroopers or something. M36 are however used to chase down and punish diving Axis tanks, like the Panther, which can otherwise tank, outrun, or deflect Allied AT options.

ahh vacuum fights again. Not even smoke is available from USF, why are we wasting time then?
Side note here, M36 are able for so much more than "hunting down and punish divint tanks". Ill let you figure it out.

If M36 is giving you trouble as an offensive weapon, with its limited sight range and endurance, I must question your strategy.

Ad hominem. cherry on top of dessert. What a finesse.
Yeah lets say that i am stupid enough to actually use real game examples, stats and care for the game as a whole instead of being a biased fanboy.
20 Jun 2019, 21:47 PM

Just give usf easy 8's and up the pen by 10-20,nerf the Jackson to fire slowly but always use hvap, and take away the Scott's autofire but buffs its barrage.

Here is the idea:
Easy 8 added to stock lineup

Easy 8 unlocked after major and additional tech
Easy 8's pen increased by ten-20, more pen awarded at vet 2
Jackson rate of fire nerfed by a second or two.
Jacksons hvap nerfed to 160 dmg but set as passive
Scott's autofire nerfed
Scott barrage buffed and scott is given a bunker busting barrage to easily remove bunkers or destroy Buildable packs.
20 Jun 2019, 21:47 PM

M10 becomes very irrelevant if E8 become stock.
It is also powercreep making E8 stock.

Im sorry but im trying to be honest
20 Jun 2019, 21:50 PM

Okay, I'll bite. Are you actually getting run down by M36 on your side of the field? I mean, you have grenadiers, right? A Pak 40?

I am trying to understand your position but presently it doesnt make sense. Are your pz4s getting dived by M36 or what?
20 Jun 2019, 21:54 PM

M10 becomes very irrelevant if E8 become stock.
It is also powercreep making E8 stock.

Im sorry but im

The wolverine does not work too well above 1's
20 Jun 2019, 21:57 PM

Lol, it just put a grey box for both r messages. Sorry :D

I was trying to say Wolverines are hard to use above 1's
20 Jun 2019, 22:04 PM

If M36 is giving you trouble as an offensive weapon, with its limited sight range and endurance (and zero AI power), I must question your strategy.

You don't need to use a sherman. Usf is given at least 3 units for free that can use smoke if you tech grenades. You also have t0 mortar, pak howi and even the Scott as cheaper alternatives.

You are talking both like the Jackson has no support and like it has all the support, it's very confusing (is that the point?) you are also acting as though usf lack AI unless it's a vehicle which is quite untrue. The power of the Jackson allows the usf player to stack their AI power because they know the Jackson will be enough to tackle what ever they face. Therein lies the issue for both balance but also viability and variety of other units. The alternatives would need some buffs of course but the ultimate weapon Jackson needs some nerfs too

Also, Jackson's have the same amount of health as any other non premium medium tank, but ALSO +20 range. Diving doesn't have to be slogging through the enemy rear lines when you can shoot over them. The Jackson has enough durability to get in there for a final shot and get out, I've played this game plenty, I know.
20 Jun 2019, 22:13 PM

You don't need to use a sherman. Usf is given at least 3 units for free that can use smoke if you tech grenades. You also have t0 mortar, pak howi and even the Scott as cheaper alternatives.

You are talking both like the Jackson has no support and like it has all the support, it's very confusing (is that the point?) you are also acting as though usf lack AI unless it's a vehicle which is quite untrue. The power of the Jackson allows the usf player to stack their AI power because they know the Jackson will be enough to tackle what ever they face. Therein lies the issue for both balance but also viability and variety of other units. The alternatives would need some buffs of course but the ultimate weapon Jackson needs some nerfs too

Also, Jackson's have the same amount of health as any other non premium medium tank, but ALSO +20 range. Diving doesn't have to be slogging through the enemy rear lines when you can shoot over them. The Jackson has enough durability to get in there for a final shot and get out, I've played this game plenty, I know.

If we are talking about pushes, I highly doubt you're going to be supporting a diving M36 with RE smoke or a mortar smoke round. Maybe a M8, but I personally don't build those and wouldn't think they'd be resiliant enough to push with the M36.

I give the M36 support in these situations when its used defensively, in its own lines, like it is supposed to be, with its good mobility and subpar sight and armor. I assume no support when its pushing, because suddenly it has no spotters or local AI.

I also tend to discount the idea of USF stacking AI more than any other faction considering the M2HB is hot garbage and the pak howi is too vulnerable. Maybe that's my mistake, but I just cant see USF having anything there that other factions wouldn't have, and certainly not with two M36s already deployed.
20 Jun 2019, 22:18 PM

If we are talking about pushes, I highly doubt you're going to be supporting a diving M36 with RE smoke or a mortar smoke round. Maybe a M8, but I personally don't build those and wouldn't think they'd be resiliant enough to push with the M36.

I give the M36 support in these situations when its used defensively, in its own lines, like it is supposed to be, with its good mobility and subpar sight and armor. I assume no support when its pushing, because suddenly it has no spotters or local AI.

I also tend to discount the idea of USF stacking AI more than any other faction considering the M2HB is hot garbage and the pak howi is too vulnerable. Maybe that's my mistake, but I just cant see USF having anything there that other factions wouldn't have, and certainly not with two M36s already deployed.

First off, give the 50 another go, fantastic MG, arguably the best (as it should for price) same with the pak howi mate. Absolutely a monster (especially once vetted)

If the unit is supposed to be behind lines and defensive anyways then there is no reason for it to have enough health to brawl (as in effectively defend itself against a dive, which no other 60 range TD can. A microd medium will end all other 60 range TDs but the Jackson has the mobility and turret to react but also the health to survive.

I don't want the uniy gutted, but it does need toned down
20 Jun 2019, 22:28 PM

First off, give the 50 another go, fantastic MG, arguably the best (as it should for price) same with the pak howi mate. Absolutely a monster (especially once vetted)

If the unit is supposed to be behind lines and defensive anyways then there is no reason for it to have enough health to brawl (as in effectively defend itself against a dive, which no other 60 range TD can. A microd medium will end all other 60 range TDs but the Jackson has the mobility and turret to react but also the health to survive.

I could see a minor health drop. I just dont know if that makes it too vulnerable for someone who does go LT, since his only other AT options would be zooks and an M6 mine for 60mun. For a captain with an AT gun itd be fine, I suppose, as long as the battle takes place near it and its not a panther or above.

On an unrelated note, how do you personally play the pak howi? I always hear how good it is versus infantry, but outside killing blobs I dont usually see it; Id rather rush a Sherman out or use my mortar for killing MGs, and when I watch replays I usually see the pack howi is too slow to escape infantry pushes, something the mortar can do well enough.
20 Jun 2019, 22:29 PM

Usf needs higher tier units for this to work.
20 Jun 2019, 22:47 PM

I could see a minor health drop. I just dont know if that makes it too vulnerable for someone who does go LT, since his only other AT options would be zooks and an M6 mine for 60mun. For a captain with an AT gun itd be fine, I suppose, as long as the battle takes place near it and its not a panther or above.

On an unrelated note, how do you personally play the pak howi? I always hear how good it is versus infantry, but outside killing blobs I dont usually see it; Id rather rush a Sherman out or use my mortar for killing MGs, and when I watch replays I usually see the pack howi is too slow to escape infantry pushes, something the mortar can do well enough.

Diving after a 60 range TD leaves the diver exposed, so mines and zooks would actually do well in that regard as the rear of the p4 or panther would be exposed, the AT gun on the other hand works better to prevent the dive all together.

Pak howi I use it like a mortar pit actually. Place it in a position that it's auto fire JUST reaches the front line and utilize its barrage which vastly out ranges it's auto fire. It's only 3 shots but it will fuck up anything it hits, and at vet 2 I think it is it gets a damage buff making it even more devistating. Using its auto fire on the front leaves you a lot of time to move it if pushed but also punishes the enemy for advancing as they will be under fire. Treat it more like a mobile howitzer than a heavy mortar.

Usf needs higher tier units for this to work.

I don't entirely agree. I think some rebalancing would be in order but not much more. The sherman for example has pretty good pen on its AP shells, but toning down their AI a bit more and bumping the pen up by say 20 in exchange would really solidify the tank as a great all round and versatile unit, but avoiding the all at once problem (current AP shells have only a 20% smaller AOE meaning it's still decent even without changing to HE)

20 Jun 2019, 23:09 PM

IMO jackson health is the hardest way to balance it. Since it has to fight off panthers (its very intended role) but i could be less effective against all other armor.

As it is now, M36 is a beefier M10, good mobility, good pen. Since one is stock and the other is doctrinal, there is little reason for M10 to be.
To remove mobility from M36 means it becomes a more defensive unit (and less useful for USF, panthers are also defensive design). To remove ROF makes it a firefly clone, to remove its pen makes it less TD.

As jacksons are meant to be tank hunters and since USF already taxes the player with a lot of APM, sounds reasonable to force jacksons to aggressive tactics rather than be a turreted ATG. If the unit cost is decreased paired with a tech cost increase, to decrease a little its HP and addition a unit upgrade or specialization: High pen and low speed or high mobility and harder to hit, this fits the USF theme and adapt to distict axis threats.
20 Jun 2019, 23:12 PM

IMO jackson health is the hardest way to balance it. Since it has to fight off panthers (its very intended role) but i could be less effective against all other armor.

As it is now, M36 is a beefier M10, good mobility, good pen. Since one is stock and the other is doctrinal, there is little reason for M10 to be.
To remove mobility from M36 means it becomes a more defensive unit (and less useful for USF, panthers are also defensive design). To remove ROF makes it a firefly clone, to remove its pen makes it less TD.

As jacksons are meant to be tank hunters and since USF already taxes the player with a lot of APM, sounds reasonable to force jacksons to aggressive tactics rather than be a turreted ATG. If the unit cost is decreased paired with a tech cost increase, to decrease a little its HP and addition a unit upgrade or specialization: High pen and low speed or high mobility and harder to hit, this fits the USF theme and adapt to distict axis threats.

Actually I would try lowering accuracy. One can even increase the size of super heavies.

Then TDs can be balanced separately vs Super heavies where shot will hit but not always penetrate and separately vs mediums where hit will always penetrate but not always hit.
20 Jun 2019, 23:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jun 2019, 23:12 PMVipper

Actually I would try lowering accuracy. One can even increase the size of super heavies.

Then TDs can be balanced separately vs Super heavies where shot will hit but not always penetrate and separately vs mediums where hit will always penetrate but not always hit.

Widening the the size gap for better tuning would be a good direction. Stuff like light vehicles being harder to hit with heavy tank counters would be great for variety
21 Jun 2019, 00:15 AM

Widening the the size gap for better tuning would be a good direction. Stuff like light vehicles being harder to hit with heavy tank counters would be great for variety

In addition one can add different munition for specialized units:

High penetration, low accuracy low ROF, (maybe higher damage) vs heavies
Medium penetration, medium accuracy, high ROF vs Medium tanks.
21 Jun 2019, 05:29 AM

Very good idea from vipper! Using target size to balance vs super heavies and mediums.

There has to be at least a description somewhere for new players to understand this feature.
21 Jun 2019, 07:43 AM

You miss two points and i dont meant to be personal now. First one, the game was intended to find flanking options as a main mechanic, in between patches that mechanic was lost or became too hard to pull, so using the "wouldnt people do the obvious logic" strategy is not an argument, since people dont flank because M36 are able to pen frontally and on the move at the highest stock heavy axis tank (Pnter), why would people do something as complicated as flanking and risking their units when a single straigh shot is good enough and no risk involved? Answer that first and then you will know why woulnt people flank to win tank fights if that werent an option.

The game has never been intended to find flanking option more viable, that's the complete opposite. If the Jackson has been redesign to what it is today, that's for reasons and one of them is flanking is a dead mechanism in this game.

If flanking was an option for USF then sherman would have been the tank with defensive smoke to be able to disengage. But nop sherman are design as infantry support with offensive smoke to cover a raid.
If flanking was an option for USF then Axis faction wouldn't have pfaut/engine damage on each of there mainline infantry, like in COh1 which was more flanking friendly.
If flanking was an option, then the attrition (fuel/mp/munition) would need to be much more favorable to USF. You can't expect balance if to destroy a single target as USF you have to engage 2 or 3 of your own with a high risk to lose one or all in the process. While in return your opponent can just site at max range and pickup your unit safely.
If flanking was an initial design then side armor would have their own values and not being a flip coin mechanism.

And we all know what it means if you remove pfaust to Axis mainline infantry or make USF medium immune to their engine damage or change the economy mechanism to be more favorable to USF. Games would probably not last long enough to let you field a panther and see it being flanked.

At the end of the day you can propose whatever you want, remain the root cause: Jackson need to fight Super Heavies, Heavies and mediums with no other support than sherman/scott which aren't able to soak damage.

Ideas around giving USF stock E8 and then specialize Jacksons vs Heavy/Super Heavy have already been proposed since years with no effect. The Devs doctrine here is strong around Axis having tank superiority and it is probably never going to change. Jackson here is just a stop gap for something badly designed from the beginning.

Modifying target sizes impact all factions, that's not a great option since it can invalidate those tanks vs UKF or Soviet.
Giving Jackson different type of amo neither, it just a tax micro to switch target between a Pz4 and Tiger.
PAGES (18)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS