Login

russian armor

British Recon Section upgrade.

2 May 2019, 14:14 PM

Hello, so while we're on the wave of core changes, to the Brits as well, I would like to propose the idea of adding the Recon Section as a 3rd upgrade for the IS once Hammer tactics are chosen.

To clarify, the current Recon Section in game is a leftover from the Alpha of the British, they had things like crawling camo and other stff which I can't remember right now but I also propose they be given 1 or 2 scoped Lee-Enfields as well as having a "snipe" ability similar to the first CoH.

Reason for this is because Anvil right now is overshadowing Hammer simply because of the lackluster Comet tank, giving this upgrade to Hammer, as a direct counterpart to Anvil's Heavy Engineers upgrade for the Sappers, could be a reason why it is chosen to at least help out the IS altho I realize that it comes a bit too late.

Well that's about it, I just wanted to see if people think there's merit in the idea of somehow "ressurecting" Hammer tactics.
2 May 2019, 14:18 PM

Its not "wave of core changes".
Its "bringing off-meta units back into the game".
2 May 2019, 14:22 PM

And also nerfing the UC.

It was non meta unts and it has quickly devolved into random hack job changes that somebody on the mod team thought they could jam in.
2 May 2019, 14:51 PM

While not a unit you mean to tell me that Hammer tactics is part of the meta? I've only seen one guy go Hammer tactics for the Comet in the past few months and his score was lower than mine at the end of the game and I used Anvil's Churchills.

Literally have not seen the Comet put to use since then.
2 May 2019, 16:42 PM

2 May 2019, 20:28 PM

Permanently Banned
If you gave it the same snipe ability as CoH 1 it would be problematic to have on an already powerful 5-man squad (everyone goes for bolster anyway) that could always tip the fight in ur favour by sniping small squads of ostheer/Obers and MG's. Also if you blobbed them you could send them to another dimension instantly.

I'd like to see it, but rather at the start of the game which would allow for counter snipes as brits struggle with snipers as is until they can field their own counter sniper or use the UC but the UC got nerfed now aswell. But again I feel like it would be problematic because of the ability to snipe Grens to 3-man from the get go.

2 May 2019, 20:45 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Its a buff? So NO

Its a nerf? So YES
2 May 2019, 21:01 PM
Developer Relic Badge

I honestly always felt Recon sections should have been an upgrade in one of the commanders, or just another standard Tommy upgrade to choose over the med-kits or flares. Scoped Lee Enfields that take up a weapon slot and choice of abilities such as the 'Prone Camouflage' they had.

Hammer itself, would be fixed if the Comet would be fixed as it does have the vehicle tracking and gammon bombs aren't the worst thing along with mini-blitz/flank speed clone. Anvil at least offers a very vital unit for screening and pushing forward vs defenses.
2 May 2019, 21:42 PM

If you gave it the same snipe ability as CoH 1 it would be problematic to have on an already powerful 5-man squad (everyone goes for bolster anyway) that could always tip the fight in ur favour by sniping small squads of ostheer/Obers and MG's. Also if you blobbed them you could send them to another dimension instantly.

I'd like to see it, but rather at the start of the game which would allow for counter snipes as brits struggle with snipers as is until they can field their own counter sniper or use the UC but the UC got nerfed now aswell. But again I feel like it would be problematic because of the ability to snipe Grens to 3-man from the get go.

While I agree with your points the reason they were not OP was because as they are here, had and still have not any AT capabilities unless you equip them later on with PIATs which has become a meme taboo among British players and the only unit getting equipped with them is the Sappers.

Of course I saw a strategy of a guy rushing the munition points in a video and just spamming Recon Sections with the snipe ability but I've never actually seen in practice and would probably fail against a prepared opponent, his Wehr opponent in the video just didn't realize what was happening and thought it'd be an easy win.

I actually found the video I was referring to so here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFbn-S28iVs

I honestly always felt Recon sections should have been an upgrade in one of the commanders, or just another standard Tommy upgrade to choose over the med-kits or flares. Scoped Lee Enfields that take up a weapon slot and choice of abilities such as the 'Prone Camouflage' they had.

Hammer itself, would be fixed if the Comet would be fixed as it does have the vehicle tracking and gammon bombs aren't the worst thing along with mini-blitz/flank speed clone. Anvil at least offers a very vital unit for screening and pushing forward vs defenses.

I agree with you, my suggestion for the Hammer thing was again like I said a counterpart for the IS to the Heavy Engineers upgrade for the Sappers in Anvil, while the gammon bombs are a nice addition they're not exactly a reason why you'd pick Hammer if you know what I mean, while I believe that especially in team games the Heavy Sappers provide some pretty nice repair speed boosts.

But yeah if it was made as a 3rd upgrade by default that'd be pretty nice.
3 May 2019, 12:24 PM

Permanently Banned

While I agree with your points the reason they were not OP was because as they are here, had and still have not any AT capabilities unless you equip them later on with PIATs which has become a meme taboo among British players and the only unit getting equipped with them is the Sappers.

Of course I saw a strategy of a guy rushing the munition points in a video and just spamming Recon Sections with the snipe ability but I've never actually seen in practice and would probably fail against a prepared opponent, his Wehr opponent in the video just didn't realize what was happening and thought it'd be an easy win.

I actually found the video I was referring to so here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFbn-S28iVs

I agree with you, my suggestion for the Hammer thing was again like I said a counterpart for the IS to the Heavy Engineers upgrade for the Sappers in Anvil, while the gammon bombs are a nice addition they're not exactly a reason why you'd pick Hammer if you know what I mean, while I believe that especially in team games the Heavy Sappers provide some pretty nice repair speed boosts.

But yeah if it was made as a 3rd upgrade by default that'd be pretty nice.

But even as it stands now nobody will fit sections with PIATS, you have AEC for early AT and sappers for piats if u really need them in coh 2. So the snipe maybe needed some adjustments maybe if it was taken straightly from CoH 1.
I actually ran a lot of meme Recon sections back in the day of CoH 1 against Pz elite but it didnt work that well

Hammer could probably just use some adjustmens to Comet to make it more attractive. I think war speed and tracking are already great but maybe thats just me.
3 May 2019, 12:40 PM

already strong

stop buff tommies
ddd
3 May 2019, 13:42 PM

Whats the point of giving tommies snipe ability when brits already have sniper? It would make more sense to give it to usf (pathfinders for example).
3 May 2019, 14:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 May 2019, 13:42 PMddd
Whats the point of giving tommies snipe ability when brits already have sniper? It would make more sense to give it to usf (pathfinders for example).

Idk, 340 manpower single model sniper vs a 4/5 man mainline infantry squad with the ability to snipe targets using ammunition.

It's a simple alternative if you ask me.
ddd
3 May 2019, 14:19 PM

Idk, 340 manpower single model sniper vs a 4/5 man mainline infantry squad with the ability to snipe targets using ammunition.

It's a simple alternative if you ask me.

Its just weird thing to do in my opinion, COH1 tommies got snipe ability because brits didnt have sniper.

In COH2 usf has 0 counters to sniper, it would make so much more sense to give it to them instead of making brits a faction of snipers.
3 May 2019, 15:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 May 2019, 14:19 PMddd

Its just weird thing to do in my opinion, COH1 tommies got snipe ability because brits didnt have sniper.

In COH2 usf has 0 counters to sniper, it would make so much more sense to give it to them instead of making brits a faction of snipers.

Ost have reinfrocement halftruck.
They still got 2nd one.
Same with brits.
Sov got vehicle snare, still got 2nd one.
USF got pack howi, still got mortar.
List goes on and on.
3 May 2019, 15:07 PM

I think this is a great idea but doesn't it overlap with UKF sniper?
3 May 2019, 15:58 PM

And also nerfing the UC.

It was non meta unts and it has quickly devolved into random hack job changes that somebody on the mod team thought they could jam in.

I wouldnt call-it non meta. Good brit players always got an UC very early, sometimes even if you didnt have enough mun for an upgrade yet.

UC without an upgrade counters Sturmpios, Volks, Grens (<-- if you pay attention and dont mess up the micro), Kubel. In other words, it counters almost every early axis unit. Is that fair? Idk, but if not, then the armor nerf is the perfect way of balancing it.

The 2 weapon upgrades just cover up every single map perfectly. On urban maps or vs covered weapon teams you got the wasp, and on open field you got vickers k
4 May 2019, 04:38 AM

+1

Feels more like a doctrinal thing. Not too late to put it in lend lease assault lol.

IMO it'd come too late to be useful as a stock upgrade in hammer and sections already have brens for long range anyway though. I'd rather see a nondoctrinal cqc unit in some form or other since brits only have sections and only have brens as far as anti-infantry small arms, but then again that'd come too late to be super useful if it was in hammer too.

+1 about hammer in general too.

I wouldnt call-it non meta. Good brit players always got an UC very early, sometimes even if you didnt have enough mun for an upgrade yet.

UC without an upgrade counters Sturmpios, Volks, Grens (<-- if you pay attention and dont mess up the micro), Kubel. In other words, it counters almost every early axis unit. Is that fair? Idk, but if not, then the armor nerf is the perfect way of balancing it.

The 2 weapon upgrades just cover up every single map perfectly. On urban maps or vs covered weapon teams you got the wasp, and on open field you got vickers k

I've always thought it was pretty unfair that it was borderline bulletproof. I always make one right after a vickers in 1v1s since it's really nice to be able to damage/bleed infantry without taking any damage yourself, but now IMO armor nerf and self repair nerf might delay it a bit since you won't be able to repair it that well (IMO a good thing overall).
8 May 2019, 02:05 AM

And also nerfing the UC.

Nerfing the UC.
Nerfing the Infantry.
Nerfing the infantry's grenade?
And then nerfing brits more and more.

And buffing Ostheer a lot.

And then...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L