Login

russian armor

Sniper Cover Concept

25 Apr 2019, 00:01 AM

I wonder if an aimtime multiplier on cover (slightly reduce the rec acc modifier to compensate) would make things simpler. Then leave the sniper as a crit but it's speed of killing is changed depending.
25 Apr 2019, 20:41 PM

I would be happy to work on the implementation; I'll post again after some testing.

As a related issue, do you guys think that snipers should be "equal opportunity shooters"? as is, they treat all infantry targets the same way. That adds some interesting use choices (don't bother with sniper vs conscripts), but also adds some issues (German sniper hurts British much more than Soviets). Or should they engage different squad sizes or RAs with different speed?
26 Apr 2019, 22:57 PM

I don't really see what's being added to the game here. MGs already serve to deny open ground. It makes no sense for a lone sniper to be an anti-blobbing unit. While yes cover can protect you from a sniper, sniper tactics are designed around drawing soldiers out of cover. Typically it's by injuring the initial target and then attacking rescuers.

'Disposable' unit designs don't work too well in this game. I'd never build this 240 manpower sniper. As is they're a huge micro investment. If you reduce their effectiveness there'll never be a payoff to such a micro heavy unit.
26 Apr 2019, 23:37 PM

I actually really like this idea. It's a lot more interesting than the current implementation, but I could see spam against mostly UKF being a huge issue, since they don't have any good sniper counters besides their own painfully slow sniper and they have no nondoctrinal mobile infantry and no anti infantry light vehicles. It'd also nerf UKF since they have no (mobile) mortar to fill an anti-cover/garrison role and don't even have smoke to close and grenade or use a doctrinal flamer. My go-to for garrison clearance is usually a sniper as UKF since its the only really workable option.

But snipers don't kill by inflicting damage, they kill by inflicting a kill critical on an infantry hit, don't they? I'm not sure how trivial it would be to remove the kill crit then give the sniper rifle damage, but at the very least, it would be more complex than solely adjusting the cover multipliers.

I mean you can just increase its damage to whatever HP snipers have (since they have a little over the standard 80 IIRC) and remove the kill crit. All infantry models (besides snipers) have the exact same health in coh2 right?
26 Apr 2019, 23:56 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I mean you can just increase its damage to whatever HP snipers have (since they have a little over the standard 80 IIRC) and remove the kill crit. All infantry models (besides snipers) have the exact same health in coh2 right?

It'd unfortunately be slightly more complex than that also since there are occasional damage received modifiers that can affect infantry. Additionally, the fact snipers do 0 damage at the moment makes them literally useless against vehicles with their sniper rifles (aside from a lucky Ost Sniper Vet 1 Incendiary Shot) while making them do actual damage with their sniper rifles thus means they now can actually do damage against light vehicles...which will probably be really wonky since they'll rarely damage them but will damage them for 80.

...it's probably also pretty possible to make snipers have a constant -100% damage modifier against vehicles though.
27 Apr 2019, 01:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Apr 2019, 23:56 PMVuther

It'd unfortunately be slightly more complex than that also since there are occasional damage received modifiers that can affect infantry. Additionally, the fact snipers do 0 damage at the moment makes them literally useless against vehicles with their sniper rifles (aside from a lucky Ost Sniper Vet 1 Incendiary Shot) while making them do actual damage with their sniper rifles thus means they now can actually do damage against light vehicles...which will probably be really wonky since they'll rarely damage them but will damage them for 80.

...it's probably also pretty possible to make snipers have a constant -100% damage modifier against vehicles though.

Accuracy versus cover is tweakable by weapon.

You could set the damage to 200, add a 0.2 multiplier vs heavy cover and a 0.1 multipler vs vehicles.

200 will easily smash through any damage reduction auras, but said auras will still reduce the half damage suffered in heavy cover.
27 Apr 2019, 10:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Apr 2019, 01:25 AMLago

Accuracy versus cover is tweakable by weapon.

You could set the damage to 400, add a 0.2 multiplier vs heavy cover and a 0.1 multipler vs vehicles.

400 will easily smash through any damage reduction auras, but said auras will still reduce the half damage suffered in heavy cover.

*rolls a pen on a kubel*
*kills it quicker than a 122mm cannon of an is-2*
27 Apr 2019, 11:16 AM

*rolls a pen on a kubel*

0.1 multiplier vs vehicles. 40 damage.

Although yes, that 400 is meant to be 200.
27 Apr 2019, 12:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Apr 2019, 11:16 AMLago

That's what I get for skimming isn't it?
27 Apr 2019, 13:38 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Apr 2019, 11:16 AMLago

I was also wondering why you'd suggest a 0.2 modifier against heavy cover on 400 damage when 400 X 0.2 = 80 which means infantry will always die despite cover anyway like now...

*rolls a pen on a kubel*

SNIPING THE DRIVER

THIS MAKES THE KUBEL EXPLODE
27 Apr 2019, 15:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Apr 2019, 13:38 PMVuther

I was also wondering why you'd suggest a 0.2 modifier against heavy cover on 400 damage when 400 X 0.2 = 80 which means infantry will always die despite cover anyway like now...

SNIPING THE DRIVER

THIS MAKES THE KUBEL EXPLODE

Yeah that'd be odd. Shouldn't like 160ish be enough to go through any received damage modifiers? Then you can still tune the cover multipliers to your taste as multiples of 40.

Coh2 logic lul.
9 May 2019, 09:57 AM

Maybe price nerf would be good to 330-340 would be nice.
9 May 2019, 18:27 PM

If you ask me snipers should fire faster at stationary targets (MG, ZiS, garrisons) than moving ones. This would solidify them to counter these situations but not be a Michael Jackson moonwalk back and forwards sniping unit we currently have

Does cruzzi or anyone know if this is possible?

10 May 2019, 09:39 AM

Maybe being stationary after first shot. It should reduce the cooldown per shot when being stationary since it would be exposing itself.

Imagine after first shot, it will start to apply the booster. From 6 sec to 4.2 sec. 30% Boost. That would be interesting.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★