Login

russian armor

Bofors

28 Mar 2019, 12:21 PM

This is mainly directed at high level players, but anyone's welcome to chip in if they've got realistic thoughts on this.

It's also deliberately not in the balance forum. I'm after a sensible discussion about the role of the unit here. If you want to rage against the overpowered red units or bring a one-faction-wonder mindset here, please go elsewhere.

Right, the Bofors.

The Bofors is the second option on te UKF T1 sidetech, but it almost always loses out to the mobile AEC. You only see the Bofors in full on Bofors-Mortar Pit Sim City strategies.

If you do go for a Bofors without going deep on Sim City then it gets countered very easily.

Assuming you can't make it mobile, what would the unit need to be to be a viable choice over the AEC? What capabilities and weaknesses would it need to be an interesting unit to play with and to counter?
28 Mar 2019, 12:29 PM

It'll never be viable choice for higher levels, because at higher levels skirmishes happen around whole map and high level players counter it instantly with ATG that would be there anywhere in anticipation of AEC.

Second reason is, its specifically because its an emplacement.
If you can't move that pop to the other side of the map, where engagements happen, your that much weaker.

Its nowhere near as cost effective as mobile AEC and will never be at higher levels of play.
28 Mar 2019, 13:02 PM

There is no way to "balance" Bofors because the unit itself is terribly designed and doesn´t fit into COH2 gameplay.

And what I hate the most about Bofors is that it´s an AA gun that doesn´t do anything to planes but is deadly to ground units. It makes no sense at all.

It might be a decent idea to make the Bofors an effective AA gun, reduce pop cap and keep the price but remove brace. That way it can´t be used as a frontline unit while still being able to have an actual role (counter loiters and recon) and keeping enemy infantry from harrasing ressource points. Sim City would be even less effective without brace Bofors so less players would go for this retarded strategy.

28 Mar 2019, 13:06 PM

Might be best to turn the Bofors into a 2cm Flak emplacement, that basically serves as a (360 degrees) bunker for the UKF. Cheap and rather effective but not insta wiping squads and light vehicles. I don't think it will ever be able to compete with the AEC so we might as well turn it into something that isn't as toxic.
28 Mar 2019, 13:21 PM

There is no way to "balance" Bofors because the unit itself is terribly designed and doesn´t fit into COH2 gameplay.

And what I hate the most about Bofors is that it´s an AA gun that doesn´t do anything to planes but is deadly to ground units. It makes no sense at all.

It might be a decent idea to make the Bofors an effective AA gun, reduce pop cap and keep the price but remove brace. That way it can´t be used as a frontline unit while still being able to have an actual role (counter loiters and recon) and keeping enemy infantry from harrasing ressource points. Sim City would be even less effective without brace Bofors so less players would go for this retarded strategy.

I find it wierd the bofors. I mean if take T4 OKW HQ AA base for instance. You have to activate AA mode in order to counter planes. Maybe that should be a thing for Bofors.

I think Bofors has the deadliest firepower againts infantry, even possible to combat medium tanks. You do put yourself in a disadvantage, but in maps where its limited, it is the ideal choice. Bofors is really strong. It is like seldom or rare that it ever gets countered.

I like AEC better, it is great. Counters OKW Luchs and Puma possibly. Great ideal choice.

28 Mar 2019, 14:40 PM

I´d say that it does have a use:

1) Protects a Forward Assembly/ Rear security
2) Covers a remote corner/ flank of the map
3) Shoots down planes

4) Part of a Sim-city in case you use the advanced cancer commander

The first 3 points have the advantage that if the enemy tries to siege it, they will open themselves up for a counter-attack and flank, unlike when if u put it up in the frontline

BTW the AA bug if just plane wrong and should have been fixed long ago

Another "advantage" is that the other option -AEC- is just a horrible trash in 9/10 cases, though you have a great third option of ignorin both

BTW blvcdreams idea is excellent :clap::hansGG:

28 Mar 2019, 14:45 PM

On narrow maps it is a very good option to buy time until you rush out Cromwell or Centaur, cuz of how cheap it is. It isnt meant to do decisive plays like an AEC
28 Mar 2019, 15:07 PM

Permanently Banned
Acthkually Bofors is very useful but the top players haven't found its usefulness yet.

To properly use the bofors one should not spam it in the mid game yet wait until the late game when he has already buoldone up army and can afford MP to spare.

This way a clever player is able to lock down one VP or important sector, forcing the opponent to either face whole powerful British army with air strikes and Bofors and all I a one place or abandon the VPark alltogether, focusing on the later 2 and being at a serious disat vantage.
28 Mar 2019, 16:33 PM

Might be best to turn the Bofors into a 2cm Flak emplacement, that basically serves as a (360 degrees) bunker for the UKF. Cheap and rather effective but not insta wiping squads and light vehicles. I don't think it will ever be able to compete with the AEC so we might as well turn it into something that isn't as toxic.

I like the sound of that. The emplacements that work best are the cheap ones that aren't much of an investment and which are easy enough for an attack in force to counter. Bunkers are a good example.

You build them in your territory to slow the enemy down, but they're not too frustrating for the opponent to deal with and it's not devastating if you lose them.
28 Mar 2019, 20:10 PM

I also like the sound of making the bofors do its freaking job.

Also I do actually occasionally use the bofors for the same reason as @Exterior Reptile, for team games anyway. 1v1 and 2v2 I'd probably take AEC but in team games I normally rush for a centaur so I avoid the AEC anyway. It's great for those late game bloodbaths being able to lock down a point from blobs and in late game terms it's really cheap to build.

I actually really like having it as an asset for this reason as it allows you you virtually ignore a CP and focus on securing one of the other ones.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★