Login

russian armor

Osttruppen Merge Ability?

28 Sep 2013, 12:28 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post28 Sep 2013, 05:28 AMEnkidu

Ya, I can't remember which thread it was in now but I'm almost positive he mentioned that they have the 1 armor but 40-ish hp. Makes sense as they hold up somewhat to small arms but die very quickly to mortars, molitovs etc.

48hp it seems.

Pfft.
28 Sep 2013, 12:31 PM

No I don't think they should have the Merge ability. Their spammability and reinforce cost is already enough, being able to constantly reinforce an MG while it's fighting with 6 Osttruppen squads is a bad concept and should not be allowed.

The whole idea you can have 6+ squads on the field in the first minutes is so far from COH mentality :)

Yeah, absolutely.

They're so cheap it messes up the unit preservation and the capping vs. building camping dynamics in the first few minutes. They're not that strong, so they're not a problem on some maps but Ostruppen spam on Semois, for instance, is ridiculously good compared to the skill required to pull it off.

@Hans... I think it might be OK on the reserve infantry Ostruppen but on the buildable ones it'd be ridiculous.
29 Sep 2013, 23:29 PM

this osttruppen are one of the stupiest idea relic had ever... total destroyin the 1v1 gameplay.I cant see any good point why the ostheer needs that unit (just one Sega or Relic wanna sell there DLC´s). Come on that isnt fun as Sovjet when the German is capping the hole map in 5min and than have a Flame HT after that a p4 and gg... They shouldnt be like Volx´s cause when u spammed Volx in coh1 u could counter this with `BAR´s or nates also u GOT THE VET FOR KILLING THEM, now they get Vet FOR DIENG :D well at least there is no medic bunker in coh2 ^^
29 Sep 2013, 23:35 PM

lol, you can easily cap back the map. They can't even run into your conscripts and survive (can't attack and shoot, and low health), so just stick with your capped points.
30 Sep 2013, 00:00 AM

haha in theorie yes but in real? no way bro, he has to many ressouce for a Flame HT and tech to t3 and fuck u with an ost or p4
30 Sep 2013, 00:46 AM

its actually cool game-play wise. but not really needed as germans got forward bunkers and HT anyway to stay in the field.

i think better not in order to keep the factions not mirrored.
for same reason PGs dont have smoke nades for example and german mortars dont have concentrated barrage.

so you always wish to have some of the abilities of the other faction
30 Sep 2013, 10:17 AM

I dont want mirrored fraction i love that every Unit isnt the same... Wich isnt in CoH2 but thats another story... But this is not a small ability like smoke Grenade! This is total mapcontrol in a few minute and instant lose if u play against a player who has a bit skill
30 Sep 2013, 10:18 AM

Merge on Ostrupps? who would use that anyway? they die like ducks...
30 Sep 2013, 10:44 AM
Patrion 14

No, dont think its needed, and too much mirroring isnt very fun.
Hux
30 Sep 2013, 11:25 AM
Patrion 14

This thread makes me nostalgic...

Gone, But not forgotten.

Osttruppen shouldn't have merge. If I had my way they'd would cap at 1/2 speed of everything else and have no outward combat ability other than constructing defenses and re-crewing weapons (if only to offset the Soviet advantage in this part of the game).

They shouldn't be factored into offensive scenarios at all IMO (unless stealing/recrewing support weapons in order to take part counts)
1 Oct 2013, 07:37 AM

When I'm against this doctrine I always seem to loose,I simply can't counter it,not even with Shock Troops,when I finnaly gain the upperhand his Ostwind comes and it's gg...
1 Oct 2013, 08:33 AM

Merge on conscripts works because it's a choice. Conscripts cost a reasonable amount to reinforce, and they're also the mainstay combat unit for Soviets, using a squad to merge is taking away one combat source to boost or keep around another.

Ostruppen, as others have pointed out, have little combat ability and are basically there to cap, and grab team weapons. Grabbing a weapon or capping, or even just drawing some fire before retreating is good enough use for them.

Oh, and the panzerfaust. They can get in, take some losses from a vehicle, and still panzerfaust. Conscripts doing the same thing will lose just as many men but end up costing more to reinforce. A T-34 or SU-85 that's slowed, or just an M3 hit with it are basically dead.
1 Oct 2013, 12:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Sep 2013, 11:25 AMHux

Osttruppen shouldn't have merge. If I had my way they'd would cap at 1/2 speed of everything else and have no outward combat ability other than constructing defenses and re-crewing weapons (if only to offset the Soviet advantage in this part of the game).

A good suggestion. They should be cheap recrew infantry, not a fighting force. The Germans already have 2 types of non-doctrinal infantry for that, but they lack good recrew material.
1 Oct 2013, 22:31 PM

I thought that that was exactly what the Ostruppen were implemented in that commander for: recrewing weapons. Using any kind of grenadier to recrew anything is an extensive drain on both manpower and map control unless there's a halftrack or command bunker present and nearby. Pioneers are better manpower-wise, but using them sacrifices valuable repair and mine laying time.

I still think grenadiers should be 5 man squads so it's not a commander specific deal to not have recrewing weapons a headache. But I also wish pgrens came with rifles and it cost munis for those damned mp44s. ;)
3 Oct 2013, 15:32 PM

Bad idea. For the simple fact that it would render a 'unique' Soviet ability nul. Doing the same thing over and over again with both faction will only make the game boring a lot faster.

Anything that homogenize the game isn't good in my opinion.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★