Login

russian armor

Osttruppen Merge Ability?

27 Sep 2013, 23:50 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Question: Do you think Osttruppen squads should be able to merge with other units? Or do you think this change would make them overpowered? If they had the same armor values even after merging and some other changes it could be balanced fairly well.
28 Sep 2013, 00:25 AM

I don't think it's needed honestly. They are already unique enough in their cost, added capping power, trench building, recrewing etc that there doesn't seem to be a need to add an ability which steps on the toes of the Soviets and adds even more possible balancing issues. I already really like them just as they are.
28 Sep 2013, 00:57 AM

why dont we just make the game germans vs other germans.

why don't we give bunkers to the Russians
or trenches, or hull down. seriously. Germans were the assaulting army. hulling down is not good for assaults.

all they have is a pile of useless sandbags. i wish they would only provide green cover in one direction.
28 Sep 2013, 01:25 AM

The "time period" of multiplayer is supposedly during the soviet steamroller right? So German trenches and hull down fits perfectly.
28 Sep 2013, 01:30 AM

if they had it it'd be useless, with a osttruppen commander its just spamming osttruppen and flame halftracks
28 Sep 2013, 02:20 AM

nah. interesting idea but it just wouldn't be conducive to balance imo. edit: maybe with a manpower increase to 150
28 Sep 2013, 02:24 AM

i think osttruppen need a massive change to make them similiar to conscripts. they have no damage output they are too cheap, they are pretty much cannon fodder. the germans should not be able to make so many harrassing units that's the soviets job and 120 mp is too cheap for any unit.

the germans are able to make very strong positions a lot easier than the soviets. add capping power to that it's more than nuisance. soviets are supposed to be the ones capping and harassing around not germans.
28 Sep 2013, 02:57 AM

Is it just me, or are Ostruppen basically what conscripts were meant to be? Big squad, expendable, meant to stay in cover, and even an AT-ability tacked on (without upgrade even). Balance aside, I think this feel is probably what they intended for conscripts - but they ended up with something closer to the US riflemen instead.
28 Sep 2013, 04:26 AM

That would obviously be an overkill
28 Sep 2013, 05:00 AM

If ostruppen were to be similar to conscripts, then they are basically grenadiers. Even with its cheap price, it isn't worth spamming 4+, and upkeep is comparable to grenadiers.

I like the idea of ostruppen being like volksgrenadiers, defensive units that require good positioning. Aren't too good at raiding/attacking unsupported, so really needs MG42 or HT.
28 Sep 2013, 05:14 AM

how bout make osttruppen 5 man squads? and each man is basically as tough as a conscript it would make a lot more sense. like volks!
28 Sep 2013, 05:18 AM

Permanently Banned
how bout make osttruppen 5 man squads? and each man is basically as tough as a conscript it would make a lot more sense. like volks!

Ostruppen have the same HP and armor as Cons... they are "as tough", already.
28 Sep 2013, 05:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Sep 2013, 05:18 AMNullist

Ostruppen have the same HP and armor as Cons... they are "as tough", already.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Woof mention somewhere that Ostruppen have 1 armor but only 42 hp or something close to that?
28 Sep 2013, 05:22 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post28 Sep 2013, 05:21 AMEnkidu

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Woof mention somewhere that Ostruppen have 1 armor but only 42 hp or something close to that?

Dunno. Havent seen him mention that. Armor is 1 for sure, atleast.
28 Sep 2013, 05:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Sep 2013, 05:22 AMNullist

Dunno. Havent seen him mention that. Armor is 1 for sure, atleast.

Ya, I can't remember which thread it was in now but I'm almost positive he mentioned that they have the 1 armor but 40-ish hp. Makes sense as they hold up somewhat to small arms but die very quickly to mortars, molitovs etc.
28 Sep 2013, 05:53 AM

why dont we just make the game germans vs other germans.

why don't we give bunkers to the Russians
or trenches, or hull down. seriously. Germans were the assaulting army. hulling down is not good for assaults.

all they have is a pile of useless sandbags. i wish they would only provide green cover in one direction.

Depending on the phase of the war. Germans were on the offensive all the way up to Stalingrad, and then afterwards they were on the defensive all the way back to Berlin. Germany was never the sole assaulting army - Soviets did mature tactics akin to Blitzkrieg in the later stages of the war that paved its way to victory. If I had to guess, the overall multiplayer feels like mid to late 1943.

According to the spreadsheet, Osttruppen have 1 armor and 80 health (all men have 80 health except snipers), which makes them identical to Conscripts. They deal less damage.

To answer Hans's question, I firmly feel merge is a unique Soviet mechanic that should not be repeated by Germans. It has a very Soviet feel to it, especially merging Conscripts with Penals, effectively condemning retreated Conscripts to the death penalty.
28 Sep 2013, 05:55 AM

Osttroopen only have 48 HP though(according to coh2 states) merging will make you get squad wipe more quickly
28 Sep 2013, 06:14 AM

Osttrupp definitely have less than 80hp as they die to 2 or 3 shots from rifles rather than 4.
28 Sep 2013, 09:10 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

No I don't think they should have the Merge ability. Their spammability and reinforce cost is already enough, being able to constantly reinforce an MG while it's fighting with 6 Osttruppen squads is a bad concept and should not be allowed.

The whole idea you can have 6+ squads on the field in the first minutes is so far from COH mentality :)
28 Sep 2013, 09:51 AM

I like them the way there are. Spamming 6+ ostruppen doesn't work, and it's not possible to get that many in first several minutes (maybe needs a cooldown increase). In COH1, spamming volks (which are far superior) wasn't viable neither.

It doesn't work because of the high upkeep involved, while also being not combat efficient. There'll be a lot of deaths (low KDR, huge reinf. drain) and these untis don't scale up well compared to balanced composition of weapon teams + grenadiers. Besides, ostruppen can't frontally assault without support, only get into position and defend.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 36
unknown 24
Poland 12
unknown 6
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L