Login

russian armor

Best ways to handle losing agianst trollers?

6 Dec 2018, 17:31 PM

I often lose against the strategies that to me feel simply dishonorable. I don't know, but I, for example, have a sort of unspoken rules in this game, I don't spam MGs, Mortars, I make one sometimes two, never 3. I hate it when a brit builds sim city, or a Soviet player goes maxims only. It breaks the game. The game for me is always about flanking, using support weapons, and ambushing the enemy. It's not WW I its WW II. Defense is always inferior to offence, in the long run. The game many times turns into a mortar/arty fest even in one vs one. I hate it when a person, by changing the rules of the game that normal people use wins. I can't handle it. to me its inconceivable to light vehicle spam. It's just normal. But some people don't play like that
I would like to ask what are the best ways to handle losing a game, be it against a troll player or after a normal game? Thanks for any advice.
6 Dec 2018, 17:45 PM

Try using the frustrating strategy that beat you as the faction you lost to. See what other people do when you use it against them, so you might beat it next time you face it.

Not sure if this is the kind of advice you were looking for, but I have felt plenty enraged by this game before and since adopting this route I'm a *little* more even-keeled about the game. Plenty of work to do lol
6 Dec 2018, 17:57 PM

I think you have to abandon concepts of "honor" when you play a game with people who want to win.

I had the same experience in Dark Souls where people would get upset if one player wanted to play using different "rules" than another, and I think that's the wrong attitude to approach it.

Either you have to beat them using the method you think is superior, or, and this is true to history, adapt your method to be more effective.

I said this in another thread regarding blobbing but basically... everyone blobs. It's just something you have to accept and be ready for, ideally through copious use of recon.

Regarding the situations you find yourself in, the solution will be different depending on if its indirect spam or MG spam or light vehicle spam.

As for the thing you asked directly about, best way to handle losing... just remember that it's a game. Do what VonIvan does and shrug it off as best as you can -- why let them get a stress inducing emotional victory?
6 Dec 2018, 18:03 PM

Stop caring about winning meaningless games in COH2. It´s just not worth it.

And yes people try to abuse their way to victory, but that´s hardly something that sets COH2 apart from literally any other multiplayer game.

You could also upload replays from losses against spam strats on COH2.org and ask for help.

6 Dec 2018, 18:26 PM

Ultimately I don't think you'll care about your W/L ratio as much as you'll be frustrated that "you're doing everything right but it isn't working", and to me this is a perception and attitude issue more than anything else.

I'm not immune to it either, ofc, and "I'm about to punch my monitor" is one of my most repeated phrases on voice-chat when playing this game.
6 Dec 2018, 19:22 PM

Yea I mean I have it in me that I take losing very badly, when I was young I played chess, and I would always cry if I lost, but act respectively when I won. (I lost most of the time). later on, I simply grew up and tried to keep a straight face. But in this game, I guess its a bit different. if you lose you just lost all the time you spent playing. I also have a bad habit of raging on chat, commenting on how the game is unfair or That I always suck at it. Ps, I play with all factions, but mostly OST and OKW, a bit of Soviets and to spice thing up I sometimes try USF or UKF. I know does factions have their flaws, which can easily be exploited, aka light vehicle spam and rush against UKF, with no special operations commander. But I would never do that. To me, it's like the game is sort of how in the campaign the journalist says "Yes we won, but did it ever matter to you HOW we won!"
Ps. This s literally, soviets after winning by spamming maxims Xd.
6 Dec 2018, 19:24 PM

if you lose you just lost all the time you spent playing.

That mindset's probably the problem. If you don't enjoy the game and are only playing for the kick of winning, you should probably find a game you enjoy the act of playing itself.
6 Dec 2018, 19:56 PM

I know it can be hard for a lot of people, but the "alright, go next" mental attitude goes a long way in being able to play a game for long periods of time.

One way I would say could help is focus solely on your play an not your opponents play. Yes things like MG, emplacements, etc can be annoying but it isnt something you should focus on or else you wont have fun.
6 Dec 2018, 19:58 PM

Honestly, you have a confusing mindset about what is "okay" to do in the game and what is "trolling".

The real thing is that what you call "trolling" is usually some kind of high risk, high reward strategy and you hate yourself for not being able to win against it.

Tbh I think this game might not be for you if you just enjoy winning. Take a look at the game this way: Instead of just playing the stale meta over and over again, trying other tactics (= trolling in your words) is refreshing and keeps the fun up even if losing.
6 Dec 2018, 20:58 PM

Instead of just playing the stale meta over and over again, trying other tactics (= trolling in your words)

Maybe I misread him, but I thought this was the opposite of what he's talking about. I thought he was saying he's tired of people abusing the stale meta and winning against him with it.

He's talking about losing to maxim spams and blobbers. That doesn't sound like other refreshing tactics to me
6 Dec 2018, 21:00 PM

Queen Elsa said it once, you should let it go.
7 Dec 2018, 21:31 PM

I always try to be friendly in games. Even if my opponent is a toxic douche i treat him with respect and try to be friendly. A surprising amount of time, the toxic trollers have actually turned around and started chatting with me in a friendly manner. I think if we all do our best to be friendly, helpful and respectful, we will have a much better gaming environment.
7 Dec 2018, 22:13 PM

Don't worry, losing gets a little easier when you get older.

I type gg and move on. Focus on the next win.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 27
Germany 388

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment