Login

russian armor

Paratroopers hit rates

18 Nov 2018, 12:02 PM

Paratroopers are the only Elite infantry (need 3cp or almost last tier required) with basically 100% hit rates.
Also, changes in hit rates due to their vet increase are hard to convince.

The hit rates of few infantry, consisting of 6 men squad sized, according to vet increase are as follows.

unit / cost / reinforcement0 vet1 vet2 vet3 vet
Paratroopers / 380 / 28100.00 %71.00 %
Conscripts / 240 / 20108.70 %100.00 %70.70 %
Guard Rifle / 360 / 2797.00 %85.36 %64.02 %
Shock Troops / 390 / 31100.00 %(armor1.5)83.00%

These results are summarized as follows:
1. Considering paratrooper characteristics in 3cp, the paratrooper's hit rates spec is almost equal to the conscript after 1vet. However, considering the hit rates are almost the same, it is overwhelmingly inefficient in terms of reinforcement speed and cost.
2. Hit rates are much higher than Guard Rifle. In this case, it is difficult to say that the reinforcement cost, hit rates and versatility have a clear advantage over the 2 cp unit Guard Rifle.
3. Hit rates are much higher compared to Shock Troops (* armor value is 1.5, so hit rates calculated above must be multiplied by 0.67). This means that you are forced to do more damage by getting closer to your opponent.

With this in mind, the hit rates of Paratroopers are sometimes difficult to understand. That's why high-rankers rarely choose paratroopers instead of m2hb paradrops. (One reason is that an officer is reluctant to increase the squad size anymore).

Paratroopers generally think that they are quite a part of an elite unit, considering the cost (380 manpower) and the time of appearance (3 cp). But I think that these inefficient hit rates are one of the factors that make Paratroopers not worth the price. What do you think about this?
18 Nov 2018, 12:27 PM

I see your point, but I don't think in principle there's anything wrong with having an elite infantry that drops faster than others to enemy fire. They're a 6-man squad with very high short or long-range DPS. The high received accuracy helps balance that, and also somehow fits with the image of a lightly-armed, behind-the-lines unit and adds flavour.

I think the underlying issue is that USF simply can't be expected to afford the upkeep of this kind of high-RA, late-game squad, along with all the early rifles and free officers it's forced to have. That's been discussed a lot and is one of the things the new tech mod is aiming to fix though :)

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Nov 2018, 12:02 PMLoren

2. Hit rates are much higher than Guard Rifle. Thus, upgrading 1919a6 suffers from hit rates at long range engagements.

Also not sure about this part, isn't double 1919A6 the perfect choice for a high-RA, 6-man squad? ;)
18 Nov 2018, 12:27 PM

Paras strength isn't coming from ability to tank, but to deal damage.
They have potent weapons.
18 Nov 2018, 12:39 PM

Paratroopers are the only Elite infantry (need 3cp or almost last tier required) with basically 100% hit rates.

"Hit rate" is a confusing term. PLS try to use the standard terms of "Target size" or "received accuracy".

Generally speaking the "grass is greener on the other side of fence" comparison do not work. If paras where available to ostheer they would considered OP.
18 Nov 2018, 12:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Nov 2018, 12:27 PMEuan
I see your point, but I don't think in principle there's anything wrong with having an elite infantry that drops faster than others to enemy fire. They're a 6-man squad with very high short or long-range DPS. The high received accuracy helps balance that, and also somehow fits with the image of a lightly-armed, behind-the-lines unit and adds flavour.

I think the underlying issue is that USF simply can't be expected to afford the upkeep of this kind of high-RA, late-game squad, along with all the early rifles and free officers it's forced to have. That's been discussed a lot and is one of the things the new tech mod is aiming to fix though :)

Also not sure about this part, isn't double 1919A6 the perfect choice for a high-RA, 6-man squad? ;)

I made comments in the process of refining what I wanted to say for a moment.:oops:
When I heard it, I also thought that there could be a part where the glass cannons coincided with the concept of paratroopers.

I think that one of the typical glass cannon infantry is Fallschirmjager. And although it may be a personal opinion, I think Fallschirmjager is a difficult and undervalued unit.

However, since the Fallschirmjager is dropped with fully-upgraded, it is possible to utilize it momentarily, but Paratroopers do not have additional weapons in the initial state. For these reasons, I think Paratroopers are too difficult to use.
18 Nov 2018, 13:08 PM

You should have a look at the amount of total models that either deal decent damge on their own or can use the weapons of dropped squadmembers. Also compare the reinforcement costs for example to Riflemen the 6 man elite infantry squad with great dps and 28 mp to reinforce is a pretty strong squad that is capable of staying on the field through beacons for reinforcements and the early self heal through veterancy.
18 Nov 2018, 14:15 PM

The reason you don’t see paratroopers right now (and basically all elite doctrine USF squads) is because USF already has so many infantry squads. Adding a paratrooper on top of 3 rifles a LT/capt/major Res and support weapons bleeds way to much. Paratroopers are very good and personally if they didn’t have high RA then they would be monsters with the LMG upgrade. Double 30 cal already shreds most squads. A 6 man high dps and tanky squad like that would be really nuts on USFs roster.

Guards have a lower RA because they kinda need to frontline for Sovs in my experience.

Also Jesus shock troops have a 31 mp reinforce on a 6 man squad? No wonder they bleed so hard.
18 Nov 2018, 14:58 PM

Also Jesus shock troops have a 31 mp reinforce on a 6 man squad? No wonder they bleed so hard.

Going a bit off topic:
31 is already a discount on their reinforcement cost according to the Formula some people like to bring (and does not actually pally to large number of units).

On the other hand you right they bleed to much and that is why the decision of going for more DPS instead of less bleed in the commander revamp "feels" strange to me.

18 Nov 2018, 16:28 PM

Just use Rangers, else Rifles are more practical, I only use Paratroopers in the RS bundle for they have mines.
18 Nov 2018, 18:48 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

With this in mind, the hit rates of Paratroopers are sometimes difficult to understand. That's why high-rankers rarely choose paratroopers instead of m2hb paradrops. (One reason is that an officer is reluctant to increase the squad size anymore).

Of course its a factor in why theyre not used. But I doubt you could find a single top 20 usf player that would say the reason they dont use paras is because theyre not powerful enough. Their stats/numbers really arent the issue.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★