Login

russian armor

New Commanders / Units discussion

PAGES (19)down
24 Sep 2013, 13:00 PM

Everyone saying that the DLC commanders will make it pay to win is thinking to far ahead. If I recall, this was a very similar discussion that took place when all the other new commanders came around. Even though those one didn't introduce new units I still found the free ones to be just as good or if not better in most situations. Give it time.

Getting angry because you have to pay more? Fair enough I understand your point but for me I really couldn't care if I pay an extra $10 for new commanders that can offer a new style of play. I enjoy the CoH series enough that money does not limit my level of enjoyment. Pretty sure the 1500+ hours I got from CoH1, a $30 game at the time of purchase, definitely got its money worth from me.

The thing is they didn't release Opposing Fronts while the base game was in what is essentially still a beta state without core multiplayer features being present but with input delay and sketchy unit AI behaviour galore.

I don't mind DLC or paying for new content at all - it is 2013, everybody has ridiculously priced DLC nowadays. That's just how it is. But to charge us for new content while the original $60-100 we paid (I don't know about the rest of you, but I paid the full $100) hasn't even gotten its money's worth is just fucking ridiculous. Anyone who thinks otherwise is honestly just kidding themselves (I mean, for fuck's sake, infantry flanking wasn't even in the game until the most recent patch - what the hell is up with that?).

Keep in mind the new content is very little, but still has the capability to completely break the game with its new mechanics. I saw a post that said the balance team wasn't even able to work on these new abilities and units. How the hell can they possibly not break the game at that point? Or does no one remember Maxim spam and beta Flametrack barbecue parties?

24 Sep 2013, 13:02 PM

If I recall, this was a very similar discussion that took place when all the other new commanders came around. Even though those one didn't introduce new units I still found the free ones to be just as good or if not better in most situations. Give it time.

I don't think, that many people would be upset if it stays like that. But, I feel that a lot of people have a concern that Relic (under SEGA) will turn into 'pay to win' game maker. That new commanders will be increasingly OP and will be only playable with other pay for DLC commanders........ (that is the best business model, and SEGA is big and successful business with executives that couldn't care less for gameplay and balance, like so many other big producers)

Little bit of topic: Anyone knows how many commanders there are in the game atm? I think I have about 14 or so....
24 Sep 2013, 13:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Sep 2013, 12:25 PMPtah
I think that it is interesting they are adding stuf, but there are far more important things to add to the game then new commanders, stuff like lobby, better replay system, anti cheat, input lag and so on

thats true!

Getting angry because you have to pay more? Fair enough I understand your point but for me I really couldn't care if I pay an extra $10 for new commanders that can offer a new style of play. I enjoy the CoH series enough that money does not limit my level of enjoyment. Pretty sure the 1500+ hours I got from CoH1, a $30 game at the time of purchase, definitely got its money worth from me.

relic/sega love customers like u, so sad.....eat or die principles
24 Sep 2013, 13:05 PM

This is not at all the same as ToV. ToV came out 2-3 years after COH1 and was a proper expansion - 2 entirely new factions complete with their own unique doctrines as well as 3 new single player campaigns, some with unique mechanics.

This is 2-3 months after CoH2's release and frankly rather insulting, triply so for any CE purchasers who fronted an extra $40 for what now amounts to vehicle skins. It has nothing to do with being poor or not being able to drop $10. It has everything to do with this being a money grabbing scam compounded by the fact that it's going to sour everyone's MP experience unless you buy in.

Even if they are 100% perfectly balanced players still get to see that they're being excluded from a meaningful part of the game. If the trend continues, after spending $60 (or $100 for CE) for the game, you ultimately spend about another $40 or so filling out the commander roster.
24 Sep 2013, 13:12 PM

at the end u have game for 180$ with a beta status :thumpsup:
24 Sep 2013, 13:13 PM

Aside from what is free and what not disscusion,i think that FHQ will be terribad.Nice medics,doubled stats but buildings ingame are made from paper.
24 Sep 2013, 13:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Sep 2013, 11:04 AMSpanky

CoH2 was a half rushed product from the start.

That's like. Your opinion man.
Kat
24 Sep 2013, 13:34 PM

I just would like to have those commanders being sold separetely for 2,49, as the rest of paid commanders. I'm not interested in single player stuff from Case Blue DLC, but 1-2 multiplayer commanders. If they are to my like I might buy the rest, ready to pay even more than the whole Case Blue DLC. It would be good to have an opportunity to try them out one by one.
24 Sep 2013, 13:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Sep 2013, 13:31 PMCaeltos

That's like. Your opinion man.

open ur eyes, read the threads (here and coh forums) its not only HIS opinion. hundreds of player (most vCoH players) very disappointed from the game
24 Sep 2013, 13:44 PM

It's a good thing Relic keeps patching and updating their game. I have no issues paying for the new commanders, and I welcome the new units.

However, in my opinion Relic should have sorted the missing chatlobbies, no ingame leaderboards nor proper anticheat out first.

Especially the missing lobbies caused the number of CoH2 players to spiral down: no opportunities to engage in a talk with your fellow gamer makes people play other games.

CoH1 showed how it had to be done, then Relic took 2 steps back with CoH2.
Hux
24 Sep 2013, 14:22 PM
Patrion 14

So balance comes through patches. Yet patches cost money.. But wait! DLC Commanders and their new units make money. But that money has to be spent on balance-patching the game to accommodate the new units...

What the fuck is going on?

I hope someone from Relic comes into this thread and opens some dialogue regarding people's concerns about this sort of stuff. That would be nice. instead of 30 people at once trying to cram their questions into that dodgy Twitch chat.

24 Sep 2013, 14:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Sep 2013, 13:05 PMShazz
This is not at all the same as ToV. ToV came out 2-3 years after COH1 and was a proper expansion - 2 entirely new factions complete with their own unique doctrines as well as 3 new single player campaigns, some with unique mechanics.

This is 2-3 months after CoH2's release and frankly rather insulting, triply so for any CE purchasers who fronted an extra $40 for what now amounts to vehicle skins. It has nothing to do with being poor or not being able to drop $10. It has everything to do with this being a money grabbing scam compounded by the fact that it's going to sour everyone's MP experience unless you buy in.

Even if they are 100% perfectly balanced players still get to see that they're being excluded from a meaningful part of the game. If the trend continues, after spending $60 (or $100 for CE) for the game, you ultimately spend about another $40 or so filling out the commander roster.

back up your arguments with correct information if you want credibility....try again
24 Sep 2013, 14:40 PM

I'm kind of feeling abit shafted. I paid £70 for DCE, no worries I was happy to, then after around a month the game drops a tenner on steam..no biggy s'all good but then we had a 33% off sale after such a short time since release! could of saved myself £30 hell or even got all four commanders released today & still be £22 better off.

I'm not throwing blame or raging but I do feel punished for preordering. Commander wise I got a bunch of abilities shuffled as opposed to the weekend purchasers who will get the new ones for much cheaper in total(as well as what I got), if I'd of just held off I could got much better bang for my buck (something I'd never expect 3 months into a games life span).

I may or may not preorder the next x-pack/game but it definately wont be the CE. xD
24 Sep 2013, 14:52 PM

It does seem we are at an impasse.

On one hand I do like the new commanders adding new content AND units. On the other I told myself I would not pay for any additional DLC, especially if the commanders aren't free and add more multiplayer options.

I must retract myself though and say I use to complain that the old commanders were just reshuffles and that's why I wouldn't pay. Now relic has answered the call with completely new commanders but we must pay.

Since I have only spent 60$ on the game without buying anything additional, I will probably support this new commander decision and see how it goes. If its a disaster, well I probably won't be buying anymore sega/relic products. If it goes well, bravo!

Time will tell...

Previous poster Cataclaw does have a point though, we still have some issues that definitely need to be ironed out. Can't just pile new content onto existing problems.

P.S

Is this being released with a new balance patch also? And the release comes today right?
24 Sep 2013, 16:08 PM

For folks who've played hundreds of hours, it will of course seem like great value. But, those who don't play all that much, who make a large part of the player-base?

Definitely not good value.

I will not be buying these commanders, or any of the other commanders. To me, it seems like this is the beginning of many more commanders to come, full of interesting units and refreshing play-styles that look really quite exciting, and form a great game that people will talk about. Instead, what people will talk about is how they have to pay for the game, then buy all the commanders, just so they simply feel that they're getting the game they were supposed to pay for. This will not attract new players.

I'm not a fan of the F2P model, so I have a bias against anything that resembles it, and I know there are plenty of people out there more liberal with their money who don't mind f2p models. However, this is not a F2P game, and I don't want to be stuck with mundane base-commanders, somewhat lacking in their tactical ability, while I know there are others out there with more money to spend than I who get to enjoy the game as it's intended. I makes me feel duped, and I wasn't even a pre-orderer.

Regardless of how cheap they are, core, fundamental parts of the game should -not- require more money. Of course, I can still play with the old commanders, but I'm sure as hell missing out, and that's all I'm going to feel when playing this game. When I think of their 5 year commitment to the game, and how soon this paid content has come out, I don't feel there's a good future down the line. How much money will I need to spend to play this game how it's meant to be played, over the next five years? that's not a question I should be asking, when I already paid for the game.

If I, like any other gamer here, play more than one game, and want to buy many more to come, I have no interest in paying more for just one of my many games, especially so when I know that it is not just the one time payment, like a fully-fledged expansion. When I have alternative games to play, then I'll just play them instead. I like this game, but I don't play it as often as the most dedicated player-base, who are always in the minority, of any game. This is milking your loyal fans, and driving off new players, and evne less, encouraging their loyalty.

Skins, and non-integral aspects of the game, charge away. I'll even buy some to support to company, but I wont be supporting the company if they want to well, rip me off.

If there's a boycott, you'll certainly have my support. This move has kind of annoyed me, and I'm hoping that we're wrong, because the information about it all has not been very clear, or concise.
24 Sep 2013, 16:39 PM

I'm kind of feeling abit shafted. I paid £70 for DCE, no worries I was happy to, then after around a month the game drops a tenner on steam..no biggy s'all good but then we had a 33% off sale after such a short time since release! could of saved myself £30 hell or even got all four commanders released today & still be £22 better off.

I'm not throwing blame or raging but I do feel punished for preordering. Commander wise I got a bunch of abilities shuffled as opposed to the weekend purchasers who will get the new ones for much cheaper in total(as well as what I got), if I'd of just held off I could got much better bang for my buck (something I'd never expect 3 months into a games life span).

I may or may not preorder the next x-pack/game but it definately wont be the CE. xD

+1, well said
24 Sep 2013, 16:40 PM

open ur eyes, read the threads (here and coh forums) its not only HIS opinion. hundreds of player (most vCoH players) very disappointed from the game

Oh no, the vocal minority are posting their opinions and think they're the majority. Whatever shall we do? ಥ⌣ಥ

Gold mine for comedy.
24 Sep 2013, 16:47 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post24 Sep 2013, 16:40 PMCaeltos

Oh no, the vocal minority are posting their opinions and think they're the majority. Whatever shall we do? ಥ⌣ಥ

Gold mine for comedy.

The minority, is those who will buy the DLC.

You have it backwards.
24 Sep 2013, 17:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Sep 2013, 16:47 PMNullist

The minority, is those who will buy the DLC.

You have it backwards.

I don't know how you managed to completely twist the message from "Dissapointed in the game" to anything related with "DLC"

On second thought, you're Nullist. I'm not surprised.
24 Sep 2013, 17:07 PM

While I appreciate some of the opinions of the posters in this thread. You have to admit this is no more pay to win than the expansions to CoH 1 were.

This sums up my feelings about the DLC. It's no more or less "pay to win" than buying expansions in Relic's other games. All Commanders are tradeoffs, and I'm quite happy they're beginning to diversify them. If you truly believe Relic is going to continually release more powerful Commanders ad infinitum, I'm not sure what to say...

EDIT: I own the DCE and am happy to have gotten all the CoH1 games for free, as well as all existing Commanders and skins. It's a teensy bit disappointing to not get the new Commanders included, but if they seem fun to play I'll pick em up. I want to see CoH2 evolve and grow over time.
PAGES (19)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS