Login

russian armor

Usage of Sherman Tank

15 Oct 2018, 02:24 AM

I felt that Sherman tank is one of the underuse and difficult unit to use of compare to other ally/axis unit. As most time players (me or against/with USF players) were usually go for Jackson as it was fighting with Pz4 or Panther timing.

On my previous match i used 2 Sherman tank to pair with my double Jackson to push against Elephant, Tiger Ace and a ton of Ass Grens and Volks units on a 4v4 game, realizing how useful my Sherman was when facing against those odd pushing the enemy away. However my sherman always die rather quickly when i need to retreat from the assault. The match was a victory but a costly one.

Which hence i an curious about the usage of Sherman. They are horrible when doing normal pen against Panther or Tiger, and switching rounds between AP and HE is slow for 7 second during a fight which hence people wanting to op for Jackson while leaving the Anti-Infantry unit for Scott or Rifleman/Ranger/Para/Ass Engi, or just having Pershing if given chance to do the pushing rather than having a sherman.

Do u guys think Sherman may need some change in it's assault role? Or that strategy adjustment is needed to make it a valuable unit
15 Oct 2018, 04:00 AM

I am terrible at USF. But what seems to work is Blobbing infantry with BARs (for anti-infantry) and following the pack with Jacksons(for Anti-Tank). Vet 1 rifleman have AT nade ability to snare tanks and then the jacksons can swarm or kite them.

Throwing in a stock Sherman would add a little of both AI and AT. However the Scott seems to be just as good a choice, if your enemy has team weapons like MGs and AT guns.

Good USF players have infantry in front followed by two Scotts and then Jacksons. USF is all about spacing the units out just right so they synergize.

As I said I suck and am always playing on the backfoot:
- If I have plenty of AI units I make Jacksons.
- If I am playing defensive I will have AT guns already, so then I make shermans to assist AI duties.

It also depends on what game mode you play. I only play 4v4.
15 Oct 2018, 06:59 AM

Do u guys think Sherman may need some change in it's assault role? Or that strategy adjustment is needed to make it a valuable unit

Sherman isn't an assault tank so that's probably why you lose them so quickly. Don't use them as spearhead but to flank.
15 Oct 2018, 08:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Oct 2018, 06:59 AMEsxile

Sherman isn't an assault tank so that's probably why you lose them so quickly. Don't use them as spearhead but to flank.

Which hence is becoming a situational tank. As not all times where you were given an opportunity to flank around, mines or AT will usually welcome them if facing against a better / more prepared opponent. And even if there's an open route to flank, it still require some time to bring in Sherman tank to initiate flanking maneuver.

I would agree that spearheading shermans isn't a great idea too as Panther or Tiger could just finish off, but at most though you'll find yourself on that situation more often if surrounded. Unless you bring captain with AT gun. Or double RE with Zooks.
15 Oct 2018, 08:41 AM

Use Sherman to wipe squads with HE shells. I don't play anymore on 4vs4 but the sherman is still a good call for a 1st tank, use it to wipe lone squad or hurt a blob, use its smoke canister to make a push etc...
15 Oct 2018, 11:34 AM

the thing that you have to keep switching sheels to be effective and panzer iv can engage at infnrratry more effective with less micro and armour and cuz its pen got buffed its really wierd for the sherman
15 Oct 2018, 11:39 AM

Shermans are great for HE. Go for lone squads trying to harass points and get chase down wipes.

Their AP rounds aren't great, but it's enough to keep P4's at bay just don't think you're going to solo Panthers with em.

As some who plays a lot of USF and uses Shermans pretty frequently (mostly 2v2) I definitely don't think Shermans need a buff or a change, they do their role in a relatively efficient manner.

If you want a replay or something let me know.
15 Oct 2018, 11:45 AM

I wouldn´t go for Shermans at all in 4v4 unless you are already winning super hard and don´t have to fear enemy tanks. Pershing isn´t that good either because it comes in a bad 4v4 doctrine.

Just get Jacksons+Scott or Priest.
15 Oct 2018, 14:00 PM

If you're pushing your opponent and you are ahead on resources, you got for a Sherman and then you field Jacksons. Shermans can help you push blobs, dislocate MGs and if you have a pair of them, they can deal with a Panzer IV pretty easily.
15 Oct 2018, 21:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Oct 2018, 08:41 AMEsxile
Use Sherman to wipe squads with HE shells. I don't play anymore on 4vs4 but the sherman is still a good call for a 1st tank, use it to wipe lone squad or hurt a blob, use its smoke canister to make a push etc...

+1

I like to go recon support and get Shermans primarily to fight infantry and flank tanks and rely more on at guns and some zooks (never on riflemen) as deterrence for tanks. It seems to save me a lot of bleed lategame as it gives my rifles some powerful anti infantry support that you wouldn’t get with Jacksons and forces them to counter your tanks when you go on offense.
15 Oct 2018, 21:46 PM

I'd always get one Sherman first if you are going to use them, protect it and replace it if it dies, .50 cal and HE shells is needed to help Riflemen vs veteran german infantry.
16 Oct 2018, 07:21 AM

From what i've read i felt that timing wise to bring out sherman you have to bring as soon as possible, ignoring your vehicles before their 1st panther comes out. Though yeah i rely HE a lot on my sherman, which hence is it even reliable to even switch back to AP even though it would bounce most of the P4 armor
16 Oct 2018, 21:23 PM

I prefer to use Shermans over Scotts since they can double as AT units and screen for Jacksons. I do think their pop should be 10 rather than 12 but the pop count on all medium and above vehicles is too high in my opinion. Now keep in mind USF has no real advantages over the two Axis factions, especially Wehrmacht. It has to do with the flawed tech tree and over nerfed units.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★