Login

russian armor

How to counter heavy OKW blobs (or blobs in general)

16 Oct 2018, 01:01 AM

If you are USF:

The mortar, 50 cal, and AA Halftrak are all really good for this actually. Except, other than the mortar, you don't get access to those until potentially too late. Though really the thing I have found is..

...Freedom Blob is best Blob. Why try to take the high road when your faction is basically locked into spamming riflemen anyway?

AS UKF...

...no clue, cuz I don't play them. Sorry =(

Anyway, take my advice for what it's worth -- jack and shit.

Freedom blob best blob indeed but volksgrenadiers will win once they get STG44s and they can get them way before you can get 2 BARs to counter.

m1919s on the other hand rek volksgrenadiers so hard. Best counter imo, rather than teching for MGs early and screwing yourself over for AT, is counter blobbing at first, using fighting positions and backing them up with howitzers and grabbing a scot as your first tank, it's literally just a fast brummbar.

As UKF, centaur vet 1 strafing fire squashes everything. Or a cheeky commando demo charge will GG them instantly. If it's a CQC map like Ettelbrucke station, spam 5 man sappers. 15 sten guns beats 6 stg44s everytime.
16 Oct 2018, 01:28 AM

Centaur def can counter a blob, but like the AA HT or a katyusha, it may come out too late to make a meaningful difference.
16 Oct 2018, 04:16 AM

centaur can be out pretty quick, triple section and a universal carrier with a vickers should be enough to hold back the tide until centaur, if not , something has gone seriously wrong. The issue with the centaur is by the time you get it, they will have a panzer 4 or stug pretty soon.
16 Oct 2018, 06:39 AM

Thats more or less what I did do

My HMGs were covering the front line with mines in front of them or a Cons squad ... at least most of the time

My advice there would be don’t pit two or three units against an entire blob no matter how many force multipliers you have. Mathematically you’ll lose almost every time just by sheer overwhelmingness of the blob. Getting a t34 or two in there if possible would help, as would having more infantry in the area to help. To that end, good general battlefield awareness would go a long ways here (even without actual recon abilities/units, you can sort of predict where he’ll be coming and how soon based on time elapsed from his last retreat, and having more infantry or tanks screening would help alert you a few precious seconds earlier that he is coming).

Attack move command. It won't redeploy if you miss clicking the squad.

My god why have I never thought of that. RIP to all the vickers and mg42 teams that had to retreat because I missed some squirrely infantry model with my mouse XD
16 Oct 2018, 07:55 AM

This is the kind of logic that makes tech startups go belly up.

This has nothing to do with player capability/skill. It's a UX design issue. You can't allow a feature to be designed in such a way that a slight twitch in an enemy unit's movement results in the complete collapse of a frontline because of a tearing down HMG squad.

Nor should an extremely vulnerable suppression arc weapon be chargeable head on by the very units it's supposed to hard counter.

But yes, keep blaming players for bad UX design. It's well in line with what Relic have been doing for ages (see Dawn of War II and how the Eldar Warlock's long range psyker AoE ability did nothing regardless of how accurately it was aimed and was never fixed).

You mix two different games and expect them to work the same. It's a design decision to make the MG turn slowly from their normal position. I think its a good one.
You rather have to see the MG as the 2nd half of the grenadier squad.
In german infantry you have 2 halfgroups in one group. You have the 1st which is the assault group and 2nd which is the covering group. 4 in one, 4 in the other, they work in tandem. If you sent one without the other, they arent nearly as strong.
This is how the MGs are portrayed in Coh2. If you leave an MG sitting alone, you are meant to be flanked, even from within the arc if they only sit in it for a second on the edge.
Use the HMG in their intended role without expecting them to rambo everything down.
For that you are a bit too late to the game. 6x maxim spam rolling through the country side is luckily a nightmare of the past.
Use HMG wisely and they are a nightmare for the opposition.

Also its a blatant lie that a squad can charge headone and not get suppressed. If 4 squads attack headon, thats "tactics" which worked before in warfare and why shouldnt 1000+ manpower not win over an MG?
In military doctrines to assault a position you are supposed to have a number advantage, but once you have that, you are good to go. I dont see a problem if 4+ squads charge an MG headon.

In diaries you can read all the time how the MG was indeed a great weapon, but it was also the most dangerous for the gunner, because all the firepower just centered on the MG. Rifleman, mortars, snipers etc. all focused down MGs. That's how its portrayed in CoH2. And its portrayed well.
16 Oct 2018, 18:18 PM

Thanks to anyone who watched my replay and commented on it.
I do now use the strategy of maxim spam when going T2 and till now it worked out all times (around 9 games so far).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★