Login

russian armor

Fallschirmjager or Obersoldaten

30 Sep 2018, 09:45 AM

Which is a better anti-infantry unit to use? Falls that you can get earlier than obers,can camo,have faust, have deadly smoke grenade however it seems that obers have better survivability but useless without upgrades. Another question for obers is if LMG 34 or infared Stgs?
30 Sep 2018, 11:16 AM

I personally like the infrared STGs more because they ignore cover and offer good low-mid range DPS. This gives Obers great senergy with Panthers because they can clear ATGs in no time. If there aren't any ATGs around they can chew through basically any infantry they encounter.

LMG34 upgrade is more cost-effective manpower wise though, because the Obers can play defensive and won't lose models closing in.

I think it's mostly down to personal choice which one is best. If you like to play aggressive and if you're good enough to employ combined arms tactics then the STGs are probably better.
30 Sep 2018, 12:21 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I personally like the infrared STGs more because they ignore cover and offer good low-mid range DPS. This gives Obers great senergy with Panthers because they can clear ATGs in no time. If there aren't any ATGs around they can chew through basically any infantry they encounter.

Slight correction, sorry. The infrared STGs ignore all accuracy bonus from cover. Damage resistances from heavy cover and garrisons still apply.

Obersoldaten rifles are really good. In fact, stock Obers are better than unequipped/single bar, vet 3 riflemen.

I would say it would be also dependent on what you are fighting. Vs more CQB units Falls would be better, while vs longer range units Ober. Other things, All depends on your build order. Most Falls builds usually go for Mech to Med to Flak. Falls allows for earlier elite units, Panzer 2 and then to finish it all off with a late game king. If you go for Obers then you are probably not building a panzer 2 or a flak half-track. Summary, Fallschirmjager or Obersoldaten is not really comparing the two rather, which fits better into a build.
30 Sep 2018, 12:28 PM

Obers are generally a bit better because they require less micro. Falls need to be used in camo, ambush situations to really be effective.

STG Obers are insane in CQC maps, not just the damage output but also having 3 grenades at their disposal. LMG Obers for long range maps.

Obers need to vet up to vet 2 to become really good though, so keep that mind when fighting vet 3 double equipped Riflemen or IS.
30 Sep 2018, 12:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Sep 2018, 09:45 AMBakairu
Which is a better anti-infantry unit to use? Falls that you can get earlier than obers,can camo,have faust, have deadly smoke grenade however it seems that obers have better survivability but useless without upgrades. Another question for obers is if LMG 34 or infared Stgs?

falls are an infiltration unit... obers are mainline infantry... use falls to as you would sturms or partisans... scouting lobbing a grenade harassing decapping flanking and ambushing... flanking an MG... killing dat one annoying unmicroed rocket arty piece (or 2)... use obers to destroy swathes of allied infantry or frontally kill whatever whenever...
30 Sep 2018, 12:41 PM

Slight correction, sorry. The infrared STGs ignore all accuracy bonus from cover. Damage resistances from heavy cover and garrisons still apply.

Really? I've done some tests and in heavy vs heavy cover at mid range they absolutely slaughter LMG34 Obers. I assumed it was because of the cover ignoring.
30 Sep 2018, 14:10 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Really? I've done some tests and in heavy vs heavy cover at mid range they absolutely slaughter LMG34 Obers. I assumed it was because of the cover ignoring.

I was slightly wrong. There is still some accuracy modifiers of .9 instead of .5
30 Sep 2018, 17:38 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Obers are generally a bit better because they require less micro. Falls need to be used in camo, ambush situations to really be effective.

STG Obers are insane in CQC maps, not just the damage output but also having 3 grenades at their disposal. LMG Obers for long range maps.

Obers need to vet up to vet 2 to become really good though, so keep that mind when fighting vet 3 double equipped Riflemen or IS.

The correct answer. Obers having either 1 or 2 weapon upgrades means that losing models is less punishing. Falls require meatshields or surprise element to be effective.

Both IR STG and Falls perform well at distance, so you don't necessarily need to leave cover to engage.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★