Login

russian armor

Flak HQ truck lost ability to select target

9 Sep 2018, 16:21 PM
Patrion 26

It has been like this for awhile now, does anyone know why the ability to select which unit the flak truck shoots at was removed?

If there isn't a reason then maybe it could be added back in with this patch.
9 Sep 2018, 18:04 PM

I dont remember it ever bein able to do so

I guess it aint there to allow tactics such as distraction by a tank followed by a satchel toss
9 Sep 2018, 18:23 PM

It never had it to begin with.
9 Sep 2018, 19:10 PM
Patrion 26

It did have it, no one (including me) knew it did until Brad casually mentioned that it did during one of the Relic streams.

My best guess is that it was accidentally removed when the anti-air fire mode was added, and because no one knew the feature was there no one noticed it had been lost.
9 Sep 2018, 19:23 PM

I've played since before OKW's rework and IIRC it hasn't had the ability to select target in that entire time.

One trick you've always been able to do is draw fire with one squad while others satchel it.
9 Sep 2018, 19:49 PM
Patrion 26

I can't remember which stream it was, but if they are all on youtube then it will be there somewhere. It had the feature while Relic were still making patches, via Brad.

Because Relic never make it clear the truck could do that, I think people assumed it couldn't and never tried it, which is why the tactic of distracting its fire whilst other units attacked it always worked so well.

I guess if virtually no one knew about it then there's no point in bringing it back.
9 Sep 2018, 20:50 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I think it was in one of the test balance patches at some point that never made it into the game.
9 Sep 2018, 21:16 PM

There's absolutely no reason to have any kind of weapon be unable to be targeted by the player, ever.

Doesn't make any sense and needs to be remedied, regardless of what it was like in the past.
9 Sep 2018, 22:35 PM
Donator 11

There's absolutely no reason to have any kind of weapon be unable to be targeted by the player, ever.

Doesn't make any sense and needs to be remedied, regardless of what it was like in the past.

Except it is not a unit. It is a base building. And actually, it not being controllable is the feature advertised by relic when they first released okw. They have shown that it is supposed to be overwhelmed by penal troops with satchels for example.

Some players keep thinking about this building as if it was a fortress, AoE2 style. But it is not, you really have to protect it just like any other building, although it can be useful as a supression tool sometimes.
9 Sep 2018, 23:42 PM

Then base MGs/flak should also be uncontrollable. Can't have your cake and eat it but suddenly change the rules for OKW.
10 Sep 2018, 03:50 AM

Then base MGs/flak should also be uncontrollable. Can't have your cake and eat it but suddenly change the rules for OKW.

You can build flaks as OKW and target with them so the rules have not been changed for OKW.
10 Sep 2018, 18:03 PM

In my opinion the feature of selecting a target should be added(/readded) to the Flak HQ truck. It already gets barly used in its intended role and if it gets used it either doesn't survive very long (since it is pretty fragile, especially in gamemodes with more than 1 player on eache side)
or perfoms pretty mediocre, due its low rate of fire, low damage and also because it isn't able to select a target.

You can build flaks as OKW and target with them so the rules have not been changed for OKW.

Those are not the same as Base-Flaks.
11 Sep 2018, 10:44 AM
Patrion 26

Considering how much it costs and how important it is it makes sense to be able to manually aim it.
It was a very useful feature and rewarded players who were able to micro their truck whilst they were being attacked.
11 Sep 2018, 10:55 AM

Considering how much it costs and how important it is it makes sense to be able to manually aim it.
It was a very useful feature and rewarded players who were able to micro their truck whilst they were being attacked.

The cost of flak gun on HQ truck is a total of zero menpower, zero muni, zero fuel and zero pop cap.
The truck doesn't cost more because of it, it cost just as much as any other med tank tech.

Flak is simply a completely free addition to it.
11 Sep 2018, 12:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2018, 10:55 AMKatitof

The cost of flak gun on HQ truck is a total of zero menpower, zero muni, zero fuel and zero pop cap.
The truck doesn't cost more because of it, it cost just as much as any other med tank tech.

Flak is simply a completely free addition to it.

However it is part of OKW's risk-reward truck placement. The 'zero cost' Flak option is offset by risking the destruction of your top tier structure. As part of this philosophy I personally find it logical it should have a manual target function. If you're willing to risk putting it on the front lines it should at least have a fair chance of defending itself.
11 Sep 2018, 12:05 PM

However it is part of OKW's risk-reward truck placement. The 'zero cost' Flak option is offset by risking the destruction of your top tier structure. As part of this philosophy I personally find it logical it should have a manual target function. If you're willing to risk putting it on the front lines it should at least have a fair chance of defending itself.

While that is true, the risk vs reward applies both ways, you are not forced to build it forward, you can build it behind your cut off or at your base.

If you want to get the benefit of this free gun, you yourself weight the risks and make an individual decision where to place it.
11 Sep 2018, 12:27 PM

I recall the Flak Truck being able to target units manually at some point (either public beta, or test mods). It has not had the ability for ages. It is annoying, I'd rather target manually.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★