Login

russian armor

Paratrooper support squad problem

2 Sep 2018, 23:24 PM

I've noticed that paratrooper support squads with bazookas will often get revealed while in camo when models turn. This doesn't happen with any other squad that has camo and usually makes you miss out on the damage boost that they're supposed to get out of camouflage, or just get revealed when you don't want them to be through no force of your own.

I'm guessing this isn't intentional, but it's very unfortunate and makes the unit not be really able to function as intended.
2 Sep 2018, 23:29 PM

Permanently Banned
Same with raketen, if you tell it to shoot, the k98 shoots first to reveal itself and then the rocket shoots. Occasionally the allied tank can get away with the k98 warning shot.
2 Sep 2018, 23:45 PM

Same with raketen, if you tell it to shoot, the k98 shoots first to reveal itself and then the rocket shoots. Occasionally the allied tank can get away with the k98 warning shot.

The problem here is that the paratroopers are supposed to have some bonuses for accuracy and damage out of camouflage but the models start turning and then get revealed and shot at before they shoot, so they don't get the bonuses. Same idea, but different effects here. I do wish the kar98s on the raketen wouldn't shoot also, but it doesn't have the same harmful effects (it does have different harmful effects but that's another issue entirely and not the point of the thread). Also, you should tell it to face instead of shoot. That way (I think) the kar98s won't shoot so early.
3 Sep 2018, 12:35 PM

The problem here is that the paratroopers are supposed to have some bonuses for accuracy and damage out of camouflage but the models start turning and then get revealed and shot at before they shoot, so they don't get the bonuses. Same idea, but different effects here.

Raketten vet3 gives guaranteed penetration and +25% damage for the first shot out of camouflage, so I assume the effects are the same.
3 Sep 2018, 12:39 PM

I've noticed that paratrooper support squads with bazookas will often get revealed while in camo when models turn...

Are you sure that it is because the model turned and not received damage?

Keep in mind that certain weapons BARs/ST44 can hit cloaked entities if there are near their intended target.
3 Sep 2018, 15:18 PM

Raketten vet3 gives guaranteed penetration and +25% damage for the first shot out of camouflage, so I assume the effects are the same.

I forget if it's timed like most others or if it's literally only the first shot, but if it's the former, it shouldn't be a huge problem in that situation anyway, but again, not the point of the thread. The issue with paratroopers is that the bonus will almost never be applied since they always turn and reveal themselves. They are on a timer for their ambush bonus (IIRC) so carbines firing first isn't a problem for them though.
jump backJump back to quoted post3 Sep 2018, 12:39 PMVipper

Are you sure that it is because the model turned and not received damage?

Keep in mind that certain weapons BARs/ST44 can hit cloaked entities if there are near their intended target.

Yes, I'm sure. I think you can see it if you give them a move order with a facing order (I'm talking about clicking, holding, and dragging to make them move and then face), as they will move to the point and then turn, and when the models are turning they break camouflage. I think it's just a problem with the camouflage requiring them to be perfectly still. I almost put this in bugs.

I do know about how automatic weapons reveal camouflaged units in that fashion. I use commandos literally every game I play with ukf, so I think I have a decent handle on most of the camouflage mechanics.
3 Sep 2018, 15:31 PM

Yes, I'm sure. I think you can see it if you give them a move order with a facing order (I'm talking about clicking, holding, and dragging to make them move and then face), as they will move to the point and then turn, and when the models are turning they break camouflage. I think it's just a problem with the camouflage requiring them to be perfectly still. I almost put this in bugs.

As far as I know the are at least to 3 types of camo, in one the units need to be still, in the other then can move for little without losing cover, and in the last the remain cloak even when moving if they are in cover.
3 Sep 2018, 16:37 PM

Here's a replay showing me test it a few times with fairly clear results that seem to show my hypothesis is correct. It also showed that falls have the same problem, but it doesn't hit them as hard because they don't get ambush bonuses. You can also see that both squads don't get camo unless all members are absolutely still (when I gave them move-and-face orders they didn't get camo while they were stationary but turning until all models had stopped turning). It might affect all units with the first type of camo vipper listed, but I'm not sure which other units have that type of camouflage.
3 Sep 2018, 16:52 PM

[replay]
... but I'm not sure which other units have that type of camouflage.

Probably unvetted Pathfinder&IR, JLIR and possibly stormtroopers.
3 Sep 2018, 19:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Sep 2018, 16:52 PMVipper

Probably unvetted Pathfinder&IR, JLIR and possibly stormtroopers.

IIRC stormtroopers have that second tier of camo where they can move around in cover. I think falls and pathfinders (both versions) get that with veterancy too or something. JLIR I have no idea about, haven't used scavenge since it fell out of meta XD
5 Aug 2019, 05:25 AM

Mega necro because it's still not fixed.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★