Login

russian armor

Countering Soviet FHQ

14 Aug 2018, 07:55 AM

I know this ability generally isn't held in that high regard here but I find it very hard to deal with in team games. Especially coordinated teams can assert crazy amounts of early map dominance by placing one or more FHQs in very forward positions and hold it untill said map control gives them a significant tech advantage.

I've honestly run out of ideas how to counter it, enemies can reinforce faster than both infantry/vehicles and indirect fire can kill them. As for destroying the building (I have no idea why they removed the 'decapping FHQ' feature from CoH1) I can only think of the flame halftrack, but that usually gets countered by having a PTRS blob around the FHQ. Lefh is obviously good against buildings but the 8cp requirement can take too long to obtain.

So are there any good counters to it? And how can OKW effectively destroy buildings early on?
14 Aug 2018, 09:30 AM

Fisrt you need to push off that giant infantry blob around FHQ, so use MG34/42 for suppres OR indirect fire from flak halftruck, OR go for fast Luchs. Then flame-nade it to death. "Foiersturm" is very potient against it.
Also, rushing and wiring off key buildings to prevent enemy from enter is viable as early countermeasure.
Also-Also, you can always ask your Wermacht teammate to get some mortars or PaK40, because LeiG cant really damage buildings. However, its shells are rather good against infantry inside said buildings.

Dont forget, if said doctrine is chosen, that without FHQ, your opponent does not have accses to SUPERIOR RED ARMY GUARD blobs ot GLORIUOS T-34/85s blob - it is only maxims, penals and regular stuff. However, he still can get that little 45-mm cannon, that hard-counters any sort of light veichle, but cant do shit to StuG/PZ4.

Also, if encountered in team games, then it will be obviosly like so - one player spam FHQs, another spam with guards, and third is going for fast tech-up. Dont forget to hold "CTRL"button to see, which player you are against. If you see, that there is two or more, then inform your teammates, that they should push.
FHQ itself is rather expensive - 300MP/30 fuel, which delaying these life-saving upgrades for conscripts and another penal batalion for good two or five minutes - incliding those resourses thah he will spent on reinforce his troops for actually holding FHQ - use that time effectivly to steamroll from another flank or change your direction of attack. Do whatever it takes, but DO NOT KEEP RIGHT-CLICKING YOUR TROOPS ONTO FHQ AND HOPING FOR BEST!
14 Aug 2018, 10:53 AM

Also-Also, you can always ask your Wermacht teammate to get some mortars or PaK40, because LeiG cant really damage buildings. However, its shells are rather good against infantry inside said buildings.

Pak40 does very little damage to buildings even less than Leig since it a "ballistic" weapon and not "big explosion" weapon.
14 Aug 2018, 11:20 AM

... FHQ itself is rather expensive - 300MP/30 fuel, which delaying these life-saving upgrades for conscripts and another penal batalion for good two or five minutes ...

The cost is 200 mp 40 fuel it is comparable to a ostheer unupgraded 251 ht both can reinforce on the frontline and are available rather early. To beat it you have to know that the fhq in comparison also gives a accuracy boost so you cannot outblob the enemy player with your own units + 251. so it is usually needed to bring some mg42s with you to supress the blob around the fhq.

Another way of counterplaying on stonebuilding heavy maps (as those are the only ones where you might get troubles) is to not allow the enemy to take control of buildings or when they are controlled to block the territory, as the fhq can only be used in friendly territory.

If you failed to attack it early do the same as against brit sim cities take the rest of the map do not overinvest in stukas rather try to conserve fuel for fast p4s lefh in lategame if the enemy cannot counter it or get some stukas and get the command panther as callin before teching to the Schwerer Panzer Headquarters.
14 Aug 2018, 11:29 AM

FHQ in teamgames is only a problem in the first, let's say, 10 minutes, because often U are surprised by it and it disturbs to develope the own tactics.

If it is a wooden building (which is improbable), you can destroy it fast with 1-2 mortars.

If it's a stone building and not on a very important point, you can also try to just ignore it for later and fight somewhere else.

Otherwise, better wait until the 1st stuka is out don't be too aggressive. This is what they want, that you throw unit for unit against it and bleed out.
14 Aug 2018, 11:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2018, 11:29 AMLoxley
FHQ in teamgames is only a problem in the first, let's say, 10 minutes, because often U are surprised by it and it disturbs to develope the own tactics.

This is the biggest problem, as on certain maps this enables them to lock your base down or cut off your territory. Or hold down both fuel points by having one player deploy FHQs on both sides. Adjusting your strategy to counter it can then take too long.

Even waiting for a Stuka can take so long you've basically lost the match by that point. I just find it annoying OKW doesn't have ANY way to destroy garrisons early and reliably. Even the Stuka needs several barrages to destroy bigger buildings. LeIG incendiary barrage doesn't do anything either.
14 Aug 2018, 13:21 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Other things to note. The forward HQ can only be used in friendly territory. You can anticipate this to a degree, so make sure they do not have that territory. The booby trap ability still uses a soviet demo-trap and not an ober trap. This means it will wipe squads with any notification. Seeing soviets are not very reliant on munitions makes this a very devastating ability. Get a mine sweeper or blow up it up from range by targeting the point.
17 Aug 2018, 09:04 AM

the thing is that if enemy is constantly reinforcing his units with it, he probably has very poor manpower economy and army size, try capitalizing it
17 Aug 2018, 09:37 AM

i haven't encounter it myself this patch but if i were you i'd get 251 flamer or MortarHT for OKW i suggest you to go with double ISG or double stuka with spec ops command panther
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight