Login

russian armor

The Utterly Atrocious Vehicle Pathing

31 Jul 2018, 10:37 AM

I start shouting at the screen and get very frustrated

"Ah great I've built a Brummbar"

just an example of playing CoH 2, some units will literally stick to nearly everything and anything and will get stuck .

I know exactly what you mean. Almost everytime I build a brumbar I regret it because it almost always dies due to pathing. I just don't understand why it doesn't crush everything and just drive straight back since it is a giant fucking TANK FFS.

I had a similiar situation with a stug where it got stuck on a log on Khlodney Ferma winter and proceeded to do donuts. Its a log FFS, just crush it. I could jump over it on a bike.:lolol:

Seriously, a tank can drive through a house in real life so why are they getting stuck on tiny objects.
31 Jul 2018, 11:06 AM

I couldn't think of a more fitting name for the pathing system in this game than Havok because that's exactly what it causes.

I played a match just recently when my vehicle got stuck by seemingly invisible walls and then a t34 ghosts right through it for easy rear shots.

Top kek
:clap::lolol:

But I pretty much agree with most of what was written here.
This is exactly one of the reasons why -in spite of enjoyin the game- Im really lookin forward to CoH3

31 Jul 2018, 15:12 PM

Permanently Banned
I hate the glitch where you tell your tank to attack another tank which isn't in range, your tank will jerk backwards for a second.
31 Jul 2018, 15:53 PM

I do agree that they need to remove vehicle collision with territory point flags but other than that I think pathing is much better than it was previously in the game.
31 Jul 2018, 20:59 PM

Pathing isn't terrible but I have lost a few games to it. It is most noticeable when controlling multiple units at the same time, which is essential when playing allies.

Last game I played I had three shermans. I lined them up facing the enemy lines and gently probed forward (this was an area I had only just retreated from so didn't want to wait for supporting infantry when I knew there were repairing tanks ripe for the taking). So I encounter two pak40s and decide to reverse and wait for infantry after all.

Except for the two lead tanks (as they had ended up in a single file after chasing an enemy unit) decided to do a 180 then reverse in a u turn towards the enemy and eventually back towards the initial destination.

Needless to say I lost a tank that should have simply backed up a few metres to safey. The other tank only just made it away on a sliver of health.
31 Jul 2018, 21:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jul 2018, 20:59 PMGrim
Pathing isn't terrible but I have lost a few games to it. It is most noticeable when controlling multiple units at the same time, which is essential when playing allies.

Last game I played I had three shermans. I lined them up facing the enemy lines and gently probed forward (this was an area I had only just retreated from so didn't want to wait for supporting infantry when I knew there were repairing tanks ripe for the taking). So I encounter two pak40s and decide to reverse and wait for infantry after all.

Except for the two lead tanks (as they had ended up in a single file after chasing an enemy unit) decided to do a 180 then reverse in a u turn towards the enemy and eventually back towards the initial destination.

Needless to say I lost a tank that should have simply backed up a few metres to safey. The other tank only just made it away on a sliver of health.

Try not moving vehicles as group but a single units. If many vehicles are given an order to move they try to move to point you clicked and get confused.
1 Aug 2018, 00:09 AM

i lose quite often vehicules that do strange move when i use the reverse button on a path that he crossed strait but have rubbles and on the reverse way he hit all the rubbles turn right turn left get killed.
2 Aug 2018, 21:30 PM

The biggest problem is that units interfere with each other. So if you give an order it sets a path. Then you give another order it sets another path. If that 2nd path interferes with the first, the first unit starts rotating because it "senses" something in its path. And so on and so on.

It's particularly common after a mass retreat where you have 3 units all spinning around in your base as you try to move them out.

In general it's bleeding stupid because starcraft II has simpler and better pathfinding already. Units moved en masse just stop if they run into another unit, wait for it to move out of the way and keep moving. In COH2, they just start spinning.
11 Aug 2018, 19:03 PM

I know what you mean. I try to get my m5 with shocks and kv flametank down through a narrow path and all they do is spin around themselves.
12 Aug 2018, 02:50 AM

I can understand obstacles and all that, intense micro solves those issues.

My biggest problem is that the system does not seem to respect multiple waypoints, if the engine decides it's shorter to ignore your intermediary waypoint, then it takes the shorter way. If queued waypoints are too close for any unit, the system always ignores them. Just as bad, the units pause at the waypoints and for vehicles this means a really bad delay as they have to get back up to speed from a stop again.

This just makes everything harder than it needs to be, you can't execute a wide flank with a single unit ever without babysitting it.

17 Aug 2018, 00:31 AM

Have you ever played Dawn of War 1? Now THAT'S a game with atrocious vehicle pathing.
17 Aug 2018, 01:57 AM
Donator 11

I more or less hate the thing where vehicles sometimes ghost move forward and then backwards.

Path finding can be a tricky thing but I also feel like the area vehicles takes up are to large in some cases, think of the big circle on the ground that goes around the vehicle and thats basically whats trying to move.

Often times due to a fix Relic and the Community implemented a long time ago that circle used to be smaller but was increased to fix vehicles from getting stuck and such but it now causes traffic jams as they all try to scooch around one another.
17 Aug 2018, 11:13 AM

Easily the most irritating/infuriating aspect of the game. Panzer IV runs over a car and a big pile of gas barrels just fine, makes it to a twig on the ground and starts spinning like a top.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★