Login

russian armor

USF WC51 commander

7 Jun 2018, 01:24 AM

Permanently Banned
I wasn't aware the balance "rework" in regards to this commander was to make it even more useless than it already was. Why was withdraw and refit removed? Right now you purchase a WC51 that can't even cap like a kubel or even shoot things (yes apparently it's not allowed a weapon unless you spend 60muni...) then after 3-4 mins it obviously dies from a brisk wind or god forbid a 222. Yes that's right, the 222 terminator wagon has the same manpower cost as your toy jeep with no gun.

the half tracks are just a waste of commander slots with no refit, they expend their use pretty fast as lategame ends near and the sherman feels a little overpriced compared to an easy 8.

Well apparently the WC51 can call in artillery if you tech to T4, but who has one alive by then really? I would much rather have the old arty call in or even a generic time on target arty than having to micro a paper car around.
7 Jun 2018, 01:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jun 2018, 01:24 AMroll0
I wasn't aware the balance "rework" in regards to this commander was to make it even more useless than it already was. Why was withdraw and refit removed? Right now you purchase a WC51 that can't even cap like a kubel or even shoot things (yes apparently it's not allowed a weapon unless you spend 60muni...) then after 3-4 mins it obviously dies from a brisk wind or god forbid a 222. Yes that's right, the 222 terminator wagon has the same manpower cost as your toy jeep with no gun.

the half tracks are just a waste of commander slots with no refit, they expend their use pretty fast as lategame ends near and the sherman feels a little overpriced compared to an easy 8.

Well apparently the WC51 can call in artillery if you tech to T4, but who has one alive by then really? I would much rather have the old arty call in or even a generic time on target arty than having to micro a paper car around.

I've tried the WC51 in the present patch. It has too short of a range to be of any use. You only keep it alive by keeping it well back of everything and diving in when there is nothing likely to shoot at it.

The dozer upgrade isn't that useful, especially given that your paper-armored Sherman has only a few more hitpoints and is now even slower. Lastly, paying 135 fuel for a 640 HP up-gunned Sherman isn't that great either.
7 Jun 2018, 06:57 AM

Throw rifleman in it, use it as a clown car?
7 Jun 2018, 07:00 AM

this commadner is even worst than before but thats my opinion the wc51 its worst the the old but hte only good thing is that does nto cost fuel
7 Jun 2018, 07:28 AM

I have to admit I "kinda" like it, only because chasing down retreating squads who cant faust me (OKW LOLOLOLOL) is fun.

*but against Ostheer that volley of faust will come hitting you pretty quick.
7 Jun 2018, 07:59 AM

The WC51 is a support vehicle. You crew it with a Rifle squad or Lieutenant and you just use it to flank support weapons. It's the best way to earn fast veterancy. Plus, with an infatry squad in it, it can capture territory.

On the other hand, the Halftrack is pretty strong too. It has better firepower (MG + 2 riflemen squads) and you just roll and gun (instead of run and gun). Axis machine guns? Never heard of them :P

All in all, this Commander is about rolling and gunning, because who wants to play with static defenses? :P
7 Jun 2018, 07:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jun 2018, 01:24 AMroll0
Right now you purchase a WC51 that can't even cap like a kubel or even shoot things (yes apparently it's not allowed a weapon unless you spend 60muni...) then after 3-4 mins it obviously dies from a brisk wind or god forbid a 222. Yes that's right, the 222 terminator wagon has the same manpower cost as your toy jeep with no gun.

Well, it can cap if you disembark the crew. As regards the 222, it is more of an issue of a rather ridiculous 222 pricing (hello, 260MP universal carrier and 340MP M20) than the WC51 itself.

What could help this commander would be to change the 'vehicles can cap quickly' ability to that British 'everything can cap quickly.'
7 Jun 2018, 08:40 AM

Well, it can cap if you disembark the crew. As regards the 222, it is more of an issue of a rather ridiculous 222 pricing (hello, 260MP universal carrier and 340MP M20) than the WC51 itself.

What could help this commander would be to change the 'vehicles can cap quickly' ability to that British 'everything can cap quickly.'

It can also cap with a squad in it.
7 Jun 2018, 15:02 PM

just have to satisfy with that usf can fight against okws one squad which is not in cover with no mp bleed in early.
7 Jun 2018, 15:14 PM

IMO garbage doctrine. WC51 is meh...Mortar HT nerfed and situational at best, 76 Sherman is meh. Bulldozer update is maybe OK for some situations but I dont like trading mobility for a bit of HP. Don´t think it´s worth it.

7 Jun 2018, 17:56 PM

Not a great doctrine unless you want to cheese OKW in early game before they get faust with clown car action and use that to snowball. Otherwise pretty much any other commander does what Mechanized can do better.
7 Jun 2018, 22:38 PM

There's probably an okay strategy in it somewhere, but nobody's found it yet.
9 Jun 2018, 14:31 PM

A healthy buff to the 76 Sherman in terms of penetration would do wonders for the doctrine’s viability. Giving the WC51 it’s gun back for free and a range bonus would be nice too. It would solidify it as a harassment tool. At range it can pepper away at a squad and generally be a nuisance, but has low enough DPS to not be OP. A lot like the vCoH US Jeep.
9 Jun 2018, 14:42 PM

they should have just let the sherman upgrade to 76 m guns (the base one)
only pointing out the MP cost of the 222 is very stupid want to see a similar example ?
"why do my ober cost soo much compared to a mg team?" "mmmhhh hello why is the cheap ass su 76 beating my ostwind ?"
other expale t 70 same cost as UC or even the stuart that cost 270 mp, even less than a rifle squad
9 Jun 2018, 14:55 PM

Giving the WC51 it’s gun back for free and a range bonus would be nice too. It would solidify it as a harassment tool.

In a way the gun was never free. The WC51 used to have a fuel cost. The gun now costs munitions and is optional.

they should have just let the sherman upgrade to 76 m guns (the base one)

It's a separate tank because they can't swap the model out.

What they should have done is used the existing Sherman E8, but apparently variety was more important than a good tank. :(
9 Jun 2018, 16:54 PM

The WC-51 should have been something like the Bren carrier with no carry capacity but like Vet1 AP rounds or something. 76mm was a golden opportunity to make this THE LV commander; if it had been a Command Sherman with the live WC-51's abilities (plus Refit?) and a fairly sizable global RA modifier to light vehicles as long as it's afoot, this thing would be solid.
10 Jun 2018, 11:05 AM

A Command 76mm Sherman would have been a pretty good idea actually. The artillery strike and Mark Target would probably have been enough.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★