Login

russian armor

sexton: Why it suck and how to make it better.

27 May 2018, 08:31 AM

Damage, AOE radius

sexton: 160, 6 meters
lefh (wehr & okw): 160, 8 meters
priest: 200m, 7 meters
152mm (soviet): 200, 8 meters

the sexton factually fire the weakest shell of the four on board howitzer. While the raw damage match the axis 105mm, the 105mm have much bigger AOE.

Shell per barrage

Sexton ml-20: 8
lefh: 10
priest: 7

The Priest and ml-20 fire less shell than the lefh, but their shell is significantly stronger.

Range

Sexton : 135
priest: 180
lefh & ml-20: 250
Katyusha: 150

sexton reload (include wind_up&down, reload, cooldown, aim time):4.375s
lefh: 4.625s
priest: 5.92s
ml-20: 5.125 s

accuracy/scatter (this one is misleading due to the difference in range, but it will give context to my proposed buff)

sexton/priest: scatter angel 5, distance_scatter_max 15.5, fow modifier : 1.25
lefh/ml-20: scatter angel 9.25, distance_scatter_max 18.5, fow modifier : 1.75

Suggestion:
increase the sexton's range to 215 and number of shell per barrage to 9.
This would effectively mean the sexton have the weakest shell of the four howitzers, but compensate for the low hitting power with range, accuracy, reload, and being a SPG.

The short range is really the sexton's main weakness as it force the sexton to fire relatively close to the front line. The sexton may fire faster than the other howitzer, but it's nowhere as fast as the axis/soviet rocket artillery.
27 May 2018, 08:40 AM

You are missing some of the most important stats like cooldown of barrage ability, scatter ratio, vet bonuses, kill radius.
27 May 2018, 15:33 PM

I thought the ml20 had its damage reduced to 160 a ways back. But I agree the sexton sucks a ton. I think giving it smoke would be great too (only mortar pit atm) for flexibility. Also the range increase is nice.
27 May 2018, 19:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2018, 08:40 AMVipper

You are missing some of the most important stats like cooldown of barrage ability, scatter ratio, vet bonuses, kill radius.

all four howitzer have a 90s barrage recharge.

kill radius

lefh:~3.538
105:~3.667
ml-20:3.412

sexton: 2.250 (still the worst by more than 1 meter)

scatter ratio(smaller the better)

lefh/ml-20:0.074
priest/sexton:0.125

sexton and priest tied for worst

vet

Priest:
creeping barrage

-20% weapon scatter
-30% recharge time 63 seconds

33% range 239.4 meter

Sexton:
creeping barrage

-40% recharge time 54 seconds

33% range 179.55 meters

lefh(ost):
counterbarrge

-15%weapon scatter
-25% recharge time 67.5 seconds

33% range 332.5 meters

ml-20:
plus one shell

30% faster rotation
-25% recharge time 67.5 seconds

33% range 332.5 meters

lefh (okw):
counterbarrge

-5% scatter 81 seconds
-10% recharge time
+15% rotation

+10% range 275 meters

-10% scatter 14.5% total
-15% recharge time 23.5% total 68.85 seconds

+23% range 35% total 338.25 meters

27 May 2018, 20:03 PM

Damage, AOE radius

sexton: 160, 6 meters
lefh (wehr & okw): 160, 8 meters
priest: 200m, 7 meters
152mm (soviet): 200, 8 meters

I would also like to point out that even though Sexton has an AOE of 2m less than lefh and ml20 (25% less), it translates to about a 50% reduction in area if people were wondering (I'm assuming the stats you posted are the diameter).

Sexton AOE radius = 3m
3.14(3 * 3) = 28.26 sq m

lefh and ml20 AOE radius = 4m
3.14(4 * 4) = 50.24 sq m
27 May 2018, 20:47 PM

You should keep in mind that mobile artillery should not be necessarily as good static artillery as they are mobile and much more survivable, and (small benefit) dont need a free engineer to build.

Also what are each's respective costs?
27 May 2018, 22:18 PM

You should keep in mind that mobile artillery should not be necessarily as good static artillery as they are mobile and much more survivable, and (small benefit) dont need a free engineer to build.

the priest have a range of 180m, which is "enough" for its purpose, but 135 for sexton is way too short.

even at 215 meter, the sexton would still be shorter range than the towed howitzer.

lefh and ml-20: 400 mp 50 fuel 15 pop
priest: 480 mp 115 fuel 14 pop
sexton: 450 mp 100 fuel 15 pop.

28 May 2018, 04:23 AM

I think the sexton range is perhaps a little short, especially when accuracy and scatter is based of range. When you take that into account, the jagdtiger can nearly counter snipe it.

Having said that, the sexton has the benefit of being one of the only units in the game that can counter axis superheavies (Jagdtiger, elefant and KT) due to it's awesome damage and accuracy if you close the distance a little. if you shell it, it has to move making it vulnerable and if they don't, the thing will be down for repairs all game. I've also regularly used it instead of a firefly in combo with churchills against panthers, It deals ridiculous damage and is pinpoint accurate at it's minimum range, people don't expect their panther to lose half of it's health in one shot when they facehug your churchill.. (FYI, 25 pdrs firing flat shots were used for this IRL too. :P)

Alternatively, If it does need to be buffed, what about a 50-60 munition airburst barrage instead of creeping barrage? Could keep the range the same and just make it the king of flattening stuff within it's range? (Just an idea)
28 May 2018, 05:47 AM

I think the sexton range is perhaps a little short, especially when accuracy and scatter is based of range. When you take that into account, the jagdtiger can nearly counter snipe it.

Having said that, the sexton has the benefit of being one of the only units in the game that can counter axis superheavies (Jagdtiger, elefant and KT) due to it's awesome damage and accuracy if you close the distance a little. if you shell it, it has to move making it vulnerable and if they don't, the thing will be down for repairs all game. I've also regularly used it instead of a firefly in combo with churchills against panthers, It deals ridiculous damage and is pinpoint accurate at it's minimum range, people don't expect their panther to lose half of it's health in one shot when they facehug your churchill.. (FYI, 25 pdrs firing flat shots were used for this IRL too. :P)

Alternatively, If it does need to be buffed, what about a 50-60 munition airburst barrage instead of creeping barrage? Could keep the range the same and just make it the king of flattening stuff within it's range? (Just an idea)

all four howitzer have 1000 penetration. They always deal full damage if you manage to land a direct hit.

It's not a quality unique to the sexton. The priest can do it as well, but no one is going to purposely risk a spg on a frontal assault against something like a KT unless they are desperate.

Both units have only 320 HP. It's not something you want to risk on the frontline.

28 May 2018, 06:19 AM

My point was more it's very useful for the british, not that it was unique to the british necessarily as the 17 pdr is outranged by the jagdtiger and countered more easily. Obviously yeah it would work for the priest too.

Also it's not particularly risky from when I've been using it., It's more for pushing back panther dives than pushing with a sexton.
28 May 2018, 07:37 AM

Quite happy with a range increase, defiantly the units biggest flaw. Having the unit fire more shells would be nice but if not, it should be more accurate and cost less.

The pop cost however is way to high for a unit with categorically woeful performance. Either a large drop in pop cost or significant performance buff - right now its just criminal.
28 May 2018, 07:49 AM

The sexton already fires a fair few shells tbf, I'd prefer them to make it fire faster, length of barrage isn't THAT useful as people just move before the end and axis don't have that much to emplace anyway, increasing it's fire rate would make it much better against infantry though which is what Brits could really use due to lack of precision rocket artillery (I don't really count the land mattress in that because although useful in itself it doesn't have the bursting down of blobs/squads that the calliope/panzerwerfer/stuka zu fuss have).
28 May 2018, 09:46 AM

the biggest advantages with this thing: its mobil...you can counter it like the other static arty like lefh.

or you have a dumb enemy how let them stay at the same point all the time. But this is fail....shot -> move -> shot -> move...else you will get countered.
28 May 2018, 10:05 AM

If they were the same price I could see that but they cost significantly more fuel.
28 May 2018, 10:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2018, 10:05 AMLago

If they were the same price I could see that but they cost significantly more fuel.

not really...if i count all the easy destroyed lefhs in some games...i could easy build 4-5 priest or sexton. static arty are so easy to counter..but mobile not...so its not that expansive if you handle it smart
28 May 2018, 12:37 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Yesterday I played v4 and I was fighting against a player who made spambunker. I really could not do anything but be in front and squeeze a little. I hope they give a little love to the sexton.
28 May 2018, 12:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2018, 12:37 PMcapiqua
Yesterday I played v4 and I was fighting against a player who made spambunker. I really could not do anything but be in front and squeeze a little. I hope they give a little love to the sexton.

one at gun destroy bunkers in 3 shots.
28 May 2018, 12:56 PM

one at gun destroy bunkers in 3 shots.

For someone so terrible at playing allies, you seem to always have a perfect counter for every single situation as allies, but for whatever strange reason, you never have a single one as axis, even against single CE squad.

Now, it does not change the fact that sexton is a meme unit and it does deserve some love, just like the whole doctrine.
28 May 2018, 13:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2018, 12:56 PMKatitof

For someone so terrible at playing allies, you seem to always have a perfect counter for every single situation as allies, but for whatever strange reason, you never have a single one as axis, even against single CE squad.

Now, it does not change the fact that sexton is a meme unit and it does deserve some love, just like the whole doctrine.

you never played against a good player who abuse this doctrine, right? i had a replay where i able to arty some minutes the vp so my enemy couldnt cap it...i defenced it without a single near combat unit..only arty and callins.

you should read the other CP in this doc....they are very good and anyoing when someone abuse them
28 May 2018, 13:04 PM

you never played against a good player who abuse this doctrine, right?

Can't say I have.
I don't play on level that low for anyone to even have it in its loudout.

i had a replay where i able to arty some minutes the vp so my enemy couldnt cap it...i defenced it without a single near combat unit..only arty and callins.

you should read the other CP in this doc....they are very good and anyoing when someone abuse them

Well, too bad you don't have it anymore then.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★