Login

russian armor

General 2v2 Advice

10 May 2018, 12:43 PM

So I tried some 2v2 today. Being an almost entirely 1v1 player I tried to play it like a 1v1 and predictably was completely and utterly crushed.

So my question is this: what are the main differences between playing 1v1 well and playing 2v2 well? How do the builds change? What are the differences in overall strategy and priorities? Do I have to adopt a more static playstyle? Should I prioritize caches more? Are there 1v1 units that just don't work in 2v2s?

Or short version, what are the key things a 1v1 player needs to learn to succeed in 2v2?

help me teamgame masters you're my only hope
10 May 2018, 12:45 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 May 2018, 12:43 PMLago
So I tried some 2v2 today. Being an almost entirely 1v1 player I tried to play it like a 1v1 and predictably was completely and utterly crushed.

So my question is this: what are the main differences between playing 1v1 well and playing 2v2 well? How do the builds change? What are the differences in overall strategy and priorities? Do I have to adopt a more static playstyle? Should I prioritize caches more? Are there 1v1 units that just don't work in 2v2s?

Or short version, what are the key things a 1v1 player needs to learn to succeed in 2v2?

help me teamgame masters you're my only hope

TEAMPLAY.
You can go 2 time 1vs1.But if the enemies have teamplay they make 1vs2 vs the okw for example. So okw has retread and then they can double the wehrmacht guy too.

So teamplay and some arty :)
10 May 2018, 13:40 PM

It's more important to rush strategic houses and get the right commanders/hardcopunters, teamplay only really kicks in at top 30 play.

So teamplay and some arty :)

Not some, arty rules 2vs2.
10 May 2018, 15:00 PM

Arty wars is definitely more prevalent in 2v2 - it's not uncommon for 2v2 matches to devolve into who can better muster their arty around the center VP. Certain commanders like Jaeger Armor are much more viable due to their utility of stuka bombs counter howitzers and the Elephant locking down a lot of open ground or on lane-oriented maps for example. Commanders with skill strafes also tend to get a bump up as well. Teamplay with randumbs tends to be limited in my experience but it always helps to at least try and do basic coordination depending on your team composition - like agreeing to go AEC as Brits to cover against light vehicle rush for example or asking what their build will be so you can fill in the gaps.
11 May 2018, 03:21 AM

The main match up in 2v2 is OKW/Wher vs USF/UKF or Soviet/UKF
Early game is OKW and USF going for the standard 5 rifleman into T2 for AT guns or light vehicles
The Wher/UKF tend to be the support players (mortar battles and MG's)

Mid game is mainly about setting up a forward retreat point, this is why USF goes for the rifleman play rather than mortars. OKW have a forward retreat point too with their truck.

Late game is allied favored for tank battles (hard to beat a well micro'd firefly) but axis favored for artillery

It's 100% worth it to build fuel caches, because it's a shared resource for you and your teammate.

11 May 2018, 08:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 May 2018, 13:40 PMzarok47
teamplay only really kicks in at top 30 play.

Imo it depends on how u define the term teamplay. If teamplay for u is you and your teamm8 being present all around the map (the VonSildur/HooliMan god mode style) it would kick in only top 30. But i think teamplay is already there if you got your tank at the right moment there to help your teamm8 out, or you got your units on the spot where the enemy is about to flank. Or when u do a single combined push on one of your opponents.

For example i played with a friend of mine against wuff and some other guy yesterday, me and my friend were both struggling until i shifted to the side of my friend as well (and forgo our fuel point) to help him destroy a sovjet stronghold. we completely demolished my friends opponent (together), which allowed us to get back in to the game. These kinda actions were you play together qualify as teamplay too imo.

so since i am not top 30 i disagree with the statement that teamplay only kicks in the crême de la crême of the ladder. My point is that teamplay is important and also can be a crucial factor on lower levels. (it might not be the godmode teamplay of the guys i named ealier but it is still teamplay and will win u games if u work together on the right moment)

TEAMPLAY MATTERS!:thumb:
11 May 2018, 17:58 PM

Imo it depends on how u define the term teamplay. If teamplay for u is you and your teamm8 being present all around the map (the VonSildur/HooliMan god mode style) it would kick in only top 30. But i think teamplay is already there if you got your tank at the right moment there to help your teamm8 out, or you got your units on the spot where the enemy is about to flank. Or when u do a single combined push on one of your opponents.

For example i played with a friend of mine against wuff and some other guy yesterday, me and my friend were both struggling until i shifted to the side of my friend as well (and forgo our fuel point) to help him destroy a sovjet stronghold. we completely demolished my friends opponent (together), which allowed us to get back in to the game. These kinda actions were you play together qualify as teamplay too imo.

so since i am not top 30 i disagree with the statement that teamplay only kicks in the crême de la crême of the ladder. My point is that teamplay is important and also can be a crucial factor on lower levels. (it might not be the godmode teamplay of the guys i named ealier but it is still teamplay and will win u games if u work together on the right moment)

TEAMPLAY MATTERS!:thumb:

Oh it's certainly usefull, but AT already implies a level of coordination (picking suitable factions) and working from there. True teamplay is communcations, similair pushing and coordination strategy and attacks, all of which is not needed untill said top 30 (heck, the best 2vs2 team every, asten and jove, never so much as spoke to eachother and they are still kicked ass, so even in top level it's not as needed).

What is needed in 2vs2 (AT) is a. rushing the house b. winning the arty war.
Get that down and you don't need teamplay 95% of the time.

So in a sense, we agree I think, just disagree on definition and necessity.
11 May 2018, 19:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 May 2018, 17:58 PMzarok47

Oh it's certainly usefull, but AT already implies a level of coordination (picking suitable factions) and working from there. True teamplay is communcations, similair pushing and coordination strategy and attacks, all of which is not needed untill said top 30 (heck, the best 2vs2 team every, asten and jove, never so much as spoke to eachother and they are still kicked ass, so even in top level it's not as needed).

What is needed in 2vs2 (AT) is a. rushing the house b. winning the arty war.
Get that down and you don't need teamplay 95% of the time.

So in a sense, we agree I think, just disagree on definition and necessity.

i guess we do :thumb:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS