Login

russian armor

Micro tips?

2 May 2018, 12:57 PM

So I keep bouncing between rank 300-500 with OKW and can't seem to break below 300 no matter what.

From my own assessment it looks like I need to take my unit micro to the next level. It's not so much an issue of reaction speed, I'm pretty good with that, but rather I seem to be unable to figure out when a squad needs to retreat before getting wiped. I seem to keep squads in a fight for 1 second too long hoping to cause my opponent more bleed, which leads to unnecessary wipes, especially in the early game where I like to keep pressure on my opponent with infantry while the kubel caps around. Losing a Sturm squad very early on is basically GG since the kubel also becomes useless without repairs.

Any tips?
2 May 2018, 13:04 PM

Control groups(faster reaction)
Tactical map every 10 seconds(greater awareness-this is why most people lose games imo)
Watching and learning from streams.
Have a plan from get go.

And this one was hard to learn:
Do NOT stick to firefights you are not going to win, you'll only bleed while your opponent snowballs, you'll get this sector later.
2 May 2018, 13:04 PM

check the tightrope coh2 tips video.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFxEIyV5AcCT7FycvczUUCA/videos

then search for tips videos

u wont find anything better.

the way i learned better micro, is starting 1 at time.

like using G for grenades. then when i stoped using grenades with mouse, i went to next.

good luck
2 May 2018, 13:07 PM

Tightrope's series is very good. The late game is much more manageable when you can actually use an AT gun properly.
2 May 2018, 14:10 PM

+1 to Tightrope's vids. I still remember my mind being blown when I learned about how to use the tab key while inside garrisons to pick which door to leave from. Aside from that it helps to have a through understanding of game mechanics (stuff like how green cover bonus is canceled within 10M makes a big difference).

I find that learning how to manage Manpower bleed helps a lot to - knowing when to retreat low health/high model squads for healing can translate into a big manpower advantage. That and knowing when to bail early from a losing engagement (when there is no value in stalling your opponent).
2 May 2018, 14:23 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

+1 from everyone else. Also tac map. Tightrope is a big supporter of tac map and rightfully so. Not all top players use it, but there is no other tool that can give you so much information just at the press of a button. Rebind it off numpad 0 preferably and get used to opening and closing it frequently.
2 May 2018, 14:52 PM
Senior Referee Badge

Do NOT stick to firefights you are not going to win, you'll only bleed while your opponent snowballs, you'll get this sector later.

Funny but our pro Katitof has given the best "pro" tip so far ^^

Very hard to learn, but the most important one. You don't need fast micro necesarilly, if you know which fights you will win and which ones you wont and turn the fights to your advantage or leave the fight.
2 May 2018, 18:50 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I hope you all know to hit the stop command after telling your squad to attack something specific so it wont try to chase it and leave cover.
2 May 2018, 19:00 PM

So I keep bouncing between rank 300-500 with OKW and can't seem to break below 300 no matter what.

From my own assessment it looks like I need to take my unit micro to the next level. It's not so much an issue of reaction speed, I'm pretty good with that, but rather I seem to be unable to figure out when a squad needs to retreat before getting wiped. I seem to keep squads in a fight for 1 second too long hoping to cause my opponent more bleed, which leads to unnecessary wipes, especially in the early game where I like to keep pressure on my opponent with infantry while the kubel caps around. Losing a Sturm squad very early on is basically GG since the kubel also becomes useless without repairs.

Any tips?

Check out tightropes videos, watch high level streams and know when to take a fight or not. Generally its better to retreat then try to force a fight and mp out on a fight you can't win.

I think it was Lago who told me when I was playing him and asked for advice. He told me that the MP game is one of the most important things to learn in COH2, indeed I felt I have become much better when I focused on taking fights I could win and coming back later if I couldn't.
3 May 2018, 17:15 PM

Retreat at half health, higher if you're getting mortared.

Don't bother trying to attack with half health units, unless you are stalling in green cover (like weak LMG grens).

Use tac map more, and hotkey units.

And just instantly retreat from a fight you won't win. Almost everyone but top 1% wants to do a little damage and stick around but the fact is if you're outnumbered you will take more MP loss than you will inflict, so it's pointless over the course of a game to do that. One of the few exceptions is units in green cover that can be retreated with only minor damage (ie, a stormpio getting charged with full health, you should be able to trade effectively there.)

3 May 2018, 17:36 PM

Control groups(faster reaction)
Tactical map every 10 seconds(greater awareness-this is why most people lose games imo)
Watching and learning from streams.
Have a plan from get go.

And this one was hard to learn:

Can you elaborate on the Tac Map Part?
3 May 2018, 17:39 PM

Can you elaborate on the Tac Map Part?

In my case, I have tac map bound to mouse side button. Default button is num pad zero.
Check it out as soon as possible to always know if your units do what they should be doing or if they aren't getting slaughtered somewhere you don't see.
4 May 2018, 21:44 PM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

Wow I don't even have to promote my own videos any more. Thanks guys.
5 May 2018, 01:46 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

:thumb:
6 May 2018, 15:44 PM

Quality products need no promotion or advertising. ;)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★