Login

russian armor

Map disappearing well editing.

23 Apr 2018, 08:11 AM

Like the title says, I'm using the height map tool well moving using the arrow keys if I get near the edge The whole map just moves with no further input from me in the direction I was moving previously. After it starts I can't seem to stop it and the map just disappears off screen. I cant get it back is there a hotkey or something I can do to return to the map I am currently building. Like a return to center command.
23 Apr 2018, 10:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2018, 08:11 AMLexicon
Like the title says, I'm using the height map tool well moving using the arrow keys if I get near the edge The whole map just moves with no further input from me in the direction I was moving previously. After it starts I can't seem to stop it and the map just disappears off screen. I cant get it back is there a hotkey or something I can do to return to the map I am currently building. Like a return to center command.

This is a problem that stems from a slower PC and Windows in general. When an event happens (like a keyboard button being pressed) windows captures the event and reports it to your program. The computer saw your KEYDOWN press event. But it was too busy drawing the screen and calculating stuff that, it did not see your KEYUP event. So it thinks you are still pressing the key down. Just press the same key again to register the KEYUP event and it will stop moving.

For example:
1. You press LEFT ARROW, screen starts moving...
2. You lift your finger, screen still moving...
3. Press LEFT ARROW again...

The best fix is maybe buy a much faster PC. Now you have a reason to get a new PC. So tell yourself, girlfriend, wife, or parents it is time to update :banana:

EDIT: I would recommend at least an INTEL i5 or better, 8 GB ram, and an nVidia GTX 1050ti or better for mapping. If you do not have a "good" PC you will never know exactly what your map looks like because you will only see it in LOW RESOLUTION texture quality. Rumour has it that nVidia will be coming out with new cards soon so the 10X0 models are dropping in price. I have also heard crypto currency people cant use cards with less the 4GB VRAM anymore? Can any tech guys confirm this? Either way keep your eye on a 1060 3GB or 1050ti card for the next few months.
23 Apr 2018, 12:14 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

Everything Rosbone has said is true, its just keeping your last input. Happens all the time to me as well and I am on a decent computer. The way to get it to stop is by basically mashing all the arrow keys and it will respond with camera control back in your favor.

I actually use this bug now to draw straight lines in maps for certain things, although for someone new, it will just be a nuisance.
23 Apr 2018, 15:46 PM

Mashing the arrow keys stops it, can confirm. My rig chugs along and I cannot give any sort of other input when scrolling on the map without it occurring.

It's almost muscle memory for me. :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS