Login

russian armor

USF and OKW 1v1 review please. Requesting Dave, J4J or DevM

14 Apr 2018, 17:29 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Just had a difficult game. Just want some pointers and what I could've done better, specifically with my manpower float midgame. Reached 1400 at one point.

There were A LOT of mistakes from both ends. I even handed my opponet a full HP tank at one point.

I had real difficulty holding territory against a significantly smaller army. My Jackson bounced 5 times in a row on its opening shots. At 220 pen and 375 opposing armor I can't make this kind of RNG up.

Unfortunate timing from my midgame push. Just as his 2nd tank came out and caught me off guard.

I also think I only won because I was on the easier to hold VPs side of Kholodney.

Lastly I think one of my biggest mistakes was not sending a piece of armor south to dislodge an MG. I even though about this midgame but was scared of mines as well as his armor.

Oh and if you're wondering midgame why I'm smoking his armor while my TD is in range it's because it applies an 8 second 50% movespeed slow and I can still attack ground. Although i'm not sure if that's worth applying when I could just poke at max range.

:help:

I'd also like some pointers on what OKW could've done in this position. His tanks get outtraded by mine, and the panther and KT I find very underwhelming currently. Although this KT seemed to give me way too much shit.

14 Apr 2018, 17:55 PM

Why you dont request me? I am top 10 OKW 3v3 even after the 14 days rank decay >:(
14 Apr 2018, 18:00 PM

Permanently Banned
LUL like them will be help you OpieOP.
IMO top players are in different level then regular, fast, thinking process, you cannot play like them or cope, just be yourself. Better be person, then chines copy.
14 Apr 2018, 18:09 PM

Why you dont request me? I am top 10 OKW 3v3 even after the 14 days rank decay >:(

Cause this is 1v1 :S

14 Apr 2018, 18:11 PM

I can help. I am top 1000 with all factions.
14 Apr 2018, 18:18 PM

Cause this is 1v1 :S

>:(
14 Apr 2018, 18:18 PM

Go ahead if u like. But be warned, the micro may be far above that expected from teamgame only players ;)
14 Apr 2018, 18:53 PM

Go ahead if u like. But be warned, the micro may be far above that expected from teamgame only players ;)

14 Apr 2018, 19:08 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Wow you didn't request Tobis
14 Apr 2018, 19:09 PM

14 Apr 2018, 19:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2018, 19:08 PMTobis
Wow you didn't request Tobis

Oh sorry I didn't know you were still a strategist :banana:
14 Apr 2018, 23:37 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Requesting J4J LUL

Anyway, are you sure you don't want the USF kings to take this one instead?
14 Apr 2018, 23:38 PM

Requesting J4J LUL

Anyway, are you sure you don't want the USF kings to take this one instead?

As stated above, I'd also like an opinion of what to do if I was the OKW player, since tbh I wouldn't know what to do.
14 Apr 2018, 23:48 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

You could always get Dave-the-#1-OKW-AND-USF-Player-on-the-ladder

14 Apr 2018, 23:50 PM

You could always get Dave-the-#1-OKW-AND-USF-Player-on-the-ladder

I asked dave loads of questions about USF last night. Very helpful. I just thought of you three since you're very well rehearsed in at least 1 of these factions.
15 Apr 2018, 00:49 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

So for your float:

-You built a cache which is textbook play for when you have too much float, that was good.
-You could have rebuilt the captain (but this isnt an option that I like all too much)
-Given that you reached 1300 mp float when he had his p4 out, you could have gotten an (earlier) AT gun.
-You could have avoided the 1300 mp float entirely by sideteching LT (my personal favorite option). You can't tech rush if you do this, but it's a great way of getting really efficient power. The lieutenant tech itself is only 200 manpower (and 50 fuel), so you get a bar + thompson riflemen squad for only 200 manpower. After this, you can just spam .50 cals.
-Given how far up his t4 was placed, you could have gotten another mortar (so 2 mortars for you in total) and sieged his t4.
(Refer to around 2:03:00 of the video in which Dave sieges a t4 placed in a similar position using double mortars: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/250094711 )

The reason why I'm suggesting building weapon teams to address your float is because they dont really add to your reinforce/upkeep costs/bleed. Weapon teams don't operate by trading model for model with your opponent, so, unlike infantry squads, theyre essentially a one time payment.

As for your reflections about your e8 usage (and the tunneling that I would attribute it to):

-You could have stood to have been more active with it, especially on the sidelines. A large difference that the e8 has over the regular sherman is that you can send it to the sidelines without having to worry about it getting 1v1d by a p4 if he sends one over; sending it off alone is lower risk. It's a perk that you should really take advantage of.
-Generally, I attribute this to a slight bit of tunneling. You make noticeable over commitments to single sides of the map. It doesn't happen all too often, but when you do, it's a pretty large overcommitment. I think this is why you had trouble holding ground, so try to spread your units over the map just a little bit more.

As for the OKW player:

-He got a KT. KTs are bad. Not getting a KT is good. He should have not gotten one. (He made decent use of it, but it stalled his mid-late game out, giving you too much space to breathe).
-His play was lacking that aggression that really makes OKW function at its best. If there was a heatmap of his forces, im pretty sure there would be close to no red on your half of the map. (Personally, in my OKW games, my units probably spend more time on my enemy's half of the map than they do mine). Minute 0 aggression can usually (emphasis on the "usually") end everything before mid game is even reached; even if not, it could have put him in a much better position for the mid and late game.
-Given that he did get the KT (so lets just assume youre forced into the position that he put himself in), he could have kept playing for bleed; maximizing your bleed and minimizing his own whilst building up his own infantry army. His infantry force was EXTREMELY lacking compared to yours (just glance at the top left and top right corners at any point after 25 minutes; the difference was huge), and that was the main issue. Even when he forced off your infantry and bled you with his KT, he didnt have any infantry to do anything once he did (take points/ground/defensive positions), and he never gave himself the room to turn this bleed into an advantage.
-Oh, but seriously, he shouldn't have gotten a KT, and everyone reading this shouldn't as well.

Final note: the smoke for pseudo-snares was a nice touch
15 Apr 2018, 01:07 AM

Thanks Jae :wub:

I learned: Don't get a KT.

What do you mean over commitment? Do you mean designating too many units to that one side? Or do you mean pushing too far on that one side?

His infantry force was EXTREMELY lacking compared to yours (just glance at the top left and top right corners at any point after 25 minutes; the difference was huge),

I noticed this when I was watching the replay myself, however why, even though this massive gap was obvious, couldn't I take any more territory than he could. Was it because I wouldn't push farther south than the munitions? Or because I just stalled top with my e8 and just AFK VP ticked
15 Apr 2018, 01:14 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

I mean too many units.

Flak HQ prevented any possible pushes, meaning there wasnt even that much available ground for you to take on his side, and the lack of weapon teams meant that your ability to hold ground was lacking.
15 Apr 2018, 01:20 AM

Thanks Jae :wub: set green please
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment