Login

russian armor

Why there are no night maps in matchmaking?

4 Apr 2018, 10:30 AM

Hi guys,
I recently started to play Coh2, so far I have played campaign and played quite a few matches in the multiplayer.
I have also noticed that all maps in the matchmaking pool are set in the daytime even though there are quite a few night time maps (which I find very cool) in the campaign, is there some particular reason for that? And do people play on night maps in the custom games?

P.S. I found out about this site few days ago so this is my first post, sorry if the question has already been answered before. I think it's a very nice community and it's great to see that you guys are even orginising tournaments as well, keep it going :)

Thanks in advance!
4 Apr 2018, 11:08 AM

Relic probably intended to develop night fighting and that is way they have OKW weapon with Infrared, but then they saw what happened with blizzard and changed their minds.
4 Apr 2018, 11:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2018, 11:08 AMVipper
Relic probably intended to develop night fighting and that is way they have OKW weapon with Infrared, but then they saw what happened with blizzard and changed their minds.

Who knows... at least we can play them in custom games.
4 Apr 2018, 12:34 PM

There was a very small night map in 1s and 2s auto match, I don't remember the name. But they took it out because of balance i think, not because of the daytime :D
I guess that no one made a good night map, that's why we don't have them.

P.S. :welcome: to coh2.org and COH2.
4 Apr 2018, 17:12 PM

There was a very small night map in 1s and 2s auto match, I don't remember the name. But they took it out because of balance i think, not because of the daytime :D
I guess that no one made a good night map, that's why we don't have them.

P.S. :welcome: to coh2.org and COH2.

Thanks for the welcome!
4 Apr 2018, 17:16 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

There is no real reason. Mostly aesthetics. Night maps and the ability to make them have existed since vcoh.

Most players find any clash of atmosphere "too distracting" so mostly they don't get added.

You also have issues with a lot of textures require AO and Normal Mapping generated from having a strong light source, which a night map still has its just a different color, so when done wrong they look unnatural.

However we recently made on last Seasonal Map Cup (myself and talisman) called Ladoga Karelia.

May be more for the next season, depending on what the players want.

However as far as night maps that were in rotation for coh 2. The ported map sturzdorf and montagris region were both night maps.
4 Apr 2018, 17:43 PM

Why did they cut off all of the blizzard map?
4 Apr 2018, 18:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2018, 17:16 PMTric
There is no real reason. Mostly aesthetics. Night maps and the ability to make them have existed since vcoh.

Most players find any clash of atmosphere "too distracting" so mostly they don't get added.

You also have issues with a lot of textures require AO and Normal Mapping generated from having a strong light source, which a night map still has its just a different color, so when done wrong they look unnatural.

However we recently made on last Seasonal Map Cup (myself and talisman) called Ladoga Karelia.

May be more for the next season, depending on what the players want.

However as far as night maps that were in rotation for coh 2. The ported map sturzdorf and montagris region were both night maps.

Thanks for clearing things out, and since you mentioned it now I gotta ask:
I saw some threads on the forum about the seasonal map cup, is that a tournament played just on community made maps or what?

btw. I just checked Ladoga Karelia map on steamworkshop, it looks beautiful, great job guys, I'll surely try it in the custom game.

4 Apr 2018, 18:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2018, 17:43 PMCptOps
Why did they cut off all of the blizzard map?

I think it's because the players didn't like the reduced visibility and ofc the cold tech, so they removed it from the matchmaking, you can still enable it in the games you create.
4 Apr 2018, 18:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2018, 18:02 PMJoker7

I think it's because the players didn't like the reduced visibility and ofc the cold tech, so they removed it from the matchmaking, you can still enable it in the games you create.

That too bad, fightting in blizzard atmosphere is so cool.
4 Apr 2018, 18:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2018, 18:09 PMCptOps

That too bad, fightting in blizzard atmosphere is so cool.

Agreed, and besides blizzards being cool I don't know of any other RTS games where you have to adapt to the time conditions. It made Coh2 unique.
4 Apr 2018, 18:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2018, 18:13 PMJoker7

Agreed, and besides blizzards being cool I don't know of any other RTS games where you have to adapt to the time conditions. It made Coh2 unique.

Cool, sure, but it didn't really translate to fun gameplay. I only remember considering it a nuisance. I mean what it basically did was halt the battlefield for a period of time. Not very enjoyable.
4 Apr 2018, 18:56 PM

Cool, sure, but it didn't really translate to fun gameplay. I only remember considering it a nuisance. I mean what it basically did was halt the battlefield for a period of time. Not very enjoyable.

Again I agree, it didn't also make much sense in competitive games. In my opinion they solved it in the best possible way, removed it from the ranked matches but still gave the players an option to enable it in their own games.
4 Apr 2018, 19:11 PM

In addition Coh's blizzards are rather demanding on the hardware.
4 Apr 2018, 19:23 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2018, 18:00 PMJoker7

Thanks for clearing things out, and since you mentioned it now I gotta ask:
I saw some threads on the forum about the seasonal map cup, is that a tournament played just on community made maps or what?

btw. I just checked Ladoga Karelia map on steamworkshop, it looks beautiful, great job guys, I'll surely try it in the custom game.

Yes, they are all custom maps made by yours truly, I get the insight for players on this as well, so they can have something to call "theirs". So yes, it is entirely on new maps every 3 months.

Edit:
Another map that has it (and show cases it much more) is the map Bialystok Market. There you can really see what a night map can look like if done well, sadly I need to balance it out some more and things, and right now with SMC it is on the back burner. Either way thanks for the kind words.
4 Apr 2018, 19:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2018, 19:23 PMTric

Yes, they are all custom maps made by yours truly, I get the insight for players on this as well, so they can have something to call "theirs". So yes, it is entirely on new maps every 3 months.

Edit:
Another map that has it (and show cases it much more) is the map Bialystok Market. There you can really see what a night map can look like if done well, sadly I need to balance it out some more and things, and right now with SMC it is on the back burner. Either way thanks for the kind words.

I'll check that one as well, ty for the help, I appreciate that :)
4 Apr 2018, 19:49 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2018, 19:48 PMJoker7

I'll check that one as well, ty for the help, I appreciate that :)

No problem. Enjoy em if you can. lol
4 Apr 2018, 19:51 PM

2v2 used to have night map and if i remember correctly graphic in that one look way more greater than any other day map so maybe they have some issue with optimization ?
4 Apr 2018, 20:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2018, 10:30 AMJoker7
Hi guys,
I recently started to play Coh2, so far I have played campaign and played quite a few matches in the multiplayer.
I have also noticed that all maps in the matchmaking pool are set in the daytime even though there are quite a few night time maps (which I find very cool) in the campaign, is there some particular reason for that? And do people play on night maps in the custom games?

P.S. I found out about this site few days ago so this is my first post, sorry if the question has already been answered before. I think it's a very nice community and it's great to see that you guys are even orginising tournaments as well, keep it going :)

Thanks in advance!

==================

Due to player complaint and outcry.
- Blizzard removed.
- Mud maps removed.
- Heavy Rain removed.
- Night removed.

Anything different from cOH1 was the enemy.

There you have it.

Welcome to COH2 ;) T'is is a great website when looking for help.
4 Apr 2018, 20:13 PM

Yeah I can't remember the name of that winter/night map either - it was pretty goofy because it only had 1 fuel point in the far south and 2 munitions points close together in the far north. It was interesting from a gameplay perspective because you could focus on one type of resource but I mostly just remember it becoming a bloodbath around the fuel point lol
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★