Login

russian armor

OKW on arnhem checkpoint

4 Apr 2018, 09:43 AM

So I've been considering vetoing this map whenever I play OKW. It just seems like such an uphill fight vs. soviets or brits since they have access to early MGs and can lockdown the center and a cutoff very easily in the early game.

I find myself just throwing waves of infantry trying to break through, but can't do anything until leig's or the flak halftrack arrives. By that point I'm too far behind with the fuel to have any hope of recovery.

Any tips?
4 Apr 2018, 09:53 AM
Strategist Badge

You can hold a fairly large potion of the map without going into the center. Focus you're own fuel and know which sides of building have no windows, most of the buildings have approaches without windows so you can get close and DPS them out. Alternatively rush early to strong points and force the fights on your terms.
4 Apr 2018, 10:16 AM

You can hold a fairly large potion of the map without going into the center. Focus you're own fuel and know which sides of building have no windows, most of the buildings have approaches without windows so you can get close and DPS them out. Alternatively rush early to strong points and force the fights on your terms.

Thanks. I find that I run into trouble when the enemy spawns south and I try to contest the cutoff to the west. The house + the negative cover road makes it hard to fight there with just infantry.
4 Apr 2018, 11:14 AM
Strategist Badge

Thanks. I find that I run into trouble when the enemy spawns south and I try to contest the cutoff to the west. The house + the negative cover road makes it hard to fight there with just infantry.

In this case you can approach from the far west and/or weave your way through the hedge/shed area where the central houses have blind spots.

On this map its important to send at least one unit to take the other side to keep your enemy from boxing you in totally. Send just enough to make them send something over there, if they don't you get lots of free map.

It can be a hard one, but you only need to survive until you have options.

My preferred approach on this map as OKW is to be very aggressive from the very start of the game, lay your sturms in ambush and take strong forward positions with your volks.
4 Apr 2018, 13:31 PM

So I've been considering vetoing this map whenever I play OKW. It just seems like such an uphill fight vs. soviets or brits since they have access to early MGs and can lockdown the center and a cutoff very easily in the early game.

I find myself just throwing waves of infantry trying to break through, but can't do anything until leig's or the flak halftrack arrives. By that point I'm too far behind with the fuel to have any hope of recovery.

Any tips?

You can probably achieve succes by using Finndeed strategy, but conversely there is no shame in using your veto if you find it to be too much of a hassle to deal with allied mg garrisons.

I know that I tend to veto it when playing axis and always when playing OKW :)
4 Apr 2018, 14:12 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

If you get north, which is the standard axis spawn tourney style, you're basically dead since the northern cutoff is far more punishing than the southern one. But I'd keep firestorm doc in my loadout just for maps like this. Flamer Spios are monsters.
4 Apr 2018, 19:57 PM

Thanks guys. Going to give Feuersturm a chance for a couple of games, and then veto the map unless I have some kind of epiphany. :snfQuinn:
4 Apr 2018, 20:07 PM

Arnhem is also one of the few maps where Kubel is still pretty decent due to all the roads - in addition to being a good backcapper while you focus on being aggressive with your Sturms you can also use it to zip around and harass their cutoff/fuel. It's very annoying to deal with for less experienced opponents - especially if they have popcap tied up in support weapons camping the center VP.
6 Apr 2018, 15:04 PM

Just veto this map lol...I dont get why it wasnt removed or reworked into a 2v2 map yet.

Just a nightmare...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS