Login

russian armor

Relic leaves Dawn of War 3 behind

8 Feb 2018, 13:00 PM
Senior Editor Badge

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-08-relic-leaves-dawn-of-war-3-behind-as-it-moves-on-to-new-projects

Relic:

While Dawn of War 3 has a dedicated player base, it didn't hit the targets we were expecting at launch, and it hasn't performed the way we had hoped since. It's been tough for us as professionals who want to make great games for our players, and for us as people who care a lot about what we do.

When a game underperforms, plans need to change. With Dawn of War 3, we simply don't have the foundation we need to produce major content. We're working in close partnership with Sega and Games Workshop to determine the best course of action, while shifting focus to other projects within our portfolio.
8 Feb 2018, 13:46 PM

i dunno what to feel.

Partly i'm weirdly glad that this kind of hybrid with 2003 looks wasnt succesful
8 Feb 2018, 14:21 PM
Donator 11

what a huge surprise. not. actually i would have expected that sooner

i played the game in beta and it sucked pretty massively, despite relic being so enthusiastic about it
8 Feb 2018, 14:24 PM

It was obvious, the game is terrible. I recently opened the Dawn of War community page and there were only 400 people in the game. Obviously, they also abandoned the support Company of Heroes and the game is just as dead right now.
8 Feb 2018, 15:18 PM

they need a milkmachine. COH3 in production :bananadance:
8 Feb 2018, 15:36 PM
Donator 11

Im happy they are moving on rather than sinking it into DoW3.
While I like dawn of war -and I like dow 2 more- I feel like the community is already moved on past dow3 as it simply didn't scratch the itch.

With relic getting over dow we wont see expansions and work go into an already dead product which is good for both us and Relic.

A question now would be what is their "unannonced project". DoW3 flopped so a Space Marine 2 game might be off the table. CoH3 is still a long way out so why even talk about it, from what we know its not getting here till 2020.
8 Feb 2018, 15:56 PM

As a big fan of the DoW Series, DoW3 attempted to please everybody and pleased no one. They added elements from DoW1, DoW2, some small Moba influences, and a cartoony art style. It tried to be incredibly easy to play but at the same time game mechanics dictated snowballing and steam rolling.

People will just point at the game and parrot "IT'S A MOBA IT'S TERRIBLE" but there are some genuinely bad game design decisions that contradict each other in that game. Power Core isn't exactly the root cause of the game's failure but a symptom of it.
8 Feb 2018, 16:01 PM

Had they listened to the community about remaking DoW on DoW2's engine with it's features things would have been different.

You pay the price for either being dumb or deaf, or both, and I expect nothing less for this or any other new game that comes out of Relic from now on.
8 Feb 2018, 16:13 PM

I can't believe this ,very sad.
8 Feb 2018, 16:16 PM

I can't believe this

8 Feb 2018, 16:19 PM

Im amazed that anyone would be surprised about this outcome.
8 Feb 2018, 16:21 PM
Donator 11

A sad thing that the project could't be salvaged. Still a step forward for the studio however.
8 Feb 2018, 16:27 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

8 Feb 2018, 16:30 PM
Donator 11

I mean Relic had split teams for Coh and Dow3 way back when, I remember someone told me they had a whole floor that was cut off from the outside and filled with the DoW3 dev team.

Still a 2019 coh seems unlikely as it seems like they are still in the planning stage - getting years, research, art assets (model and such), concept arts-
8 Feb 2018, 16:36 PM

Likely for the best.
8 Feb 2018, 16:52 PM

Permanently Banned
But no info from relic ? Why we must trust it ?
8 Feb 2018, 18:22 PM
Senior Editor Badge

But no info from relic ? Why we must trust it ?

This is info from Relic.

Read the article.
8 Feb 2018, 18:51 PM
Benefactor 115

wow, I expected them to support the game for a bit.
8 Feb 2018, 19:14 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Relic response about the eurogamer article in official DoW3 forums:

Hey guys,

Tough morning...we've been reading your comments for the past five hours or so and collecting our thoughts to share.

We know you're disappointed and we are too. This hasn’t been an easy decision to make but it's one we take responsibility for within the studio. We would like to thank all the members of this community for their feedback and support, and extend our sincere gratitude to everyone who stuck with us.

To be very clear, the servers will remain up so those of you who are still enjoying Dawn of War III can continue to wage war. We still have some options on the table for free cosmetic DLC (including a set next week), but we know now that we won't be able to hit your bigger expectations.

Bear with us today. We'll be popping back in this thread to answer questions where we're able to share more.
Ben

https://community.dawnofwar.com/discussion/15995/well

I can't overstate the number of conversations we've had about DOW as a studio and the number of scenarios that were considered pretty openly. So, I wouldn't say it's come as a shock to us.

The mod toolset will stay as it is. There's always a chance of returning to it in the future but there's nothing in the works for that today.

https://community.dawnofwar.com/discussion/15995/well

There are two angles I can cover here.

The first - why no new races - mostly comes down to how much work goes into creating them. We'd need a wholly focused, multidisciplinary team working on it for six months, maybe more, plus voice acting, etc. At launch, we had to pivot in response to feedback and divert people's attention to other fixes. (That is to say, we don't have one in our back pocket to share with you.)

The second, the idea of releasing paid DLC. Almost immediately after launch, we took that off the table with SEGA and Games Workshop's full support, deciding to release the post-launch content for free. We still believe that was the right thing to do.

Our designers feel that balance is stable at the moment. Or at least more stable than if we start adjusting the dials without knowing when we can come back to them (not to mention the need for testing, tracking, feedback, etc.).

Yeah, our NDAs are permanent unless otherwise stated. But, look at the credits teaser and you can see where we were headed.

Those are good questions. Without getting into the whole making-games-is-complicated conversation, it does mostly come down to iteration as you suggested. A lot of time was spent internally trying to bridge the old experience with something new. After two different games and two different franchises, it wasn't as obvious as just do X but more of it.

We have two projects in progress right now with teams who are really determined to prove our way forward with new ways of working. The plan is to show you that progress as those games progress, rather than tell you what it's going to be like today. Actions louder than words, and all that.

source: https://community.dawnofwar.com/discussion/15995/well

8 Feb 2018, 20:20 PM

I dont know why they did this, they had 99,9% of the planet telling them not to do things the way they were doing it and people told them what they wanted to see in the game and they still did what they want. It seems that they want to make games for theirselves and not for the players like they said. They paid for what they did so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight