Login

russian armor

Recon Support I&R Pathfinders vs Airborne Pathfinders

5 Feb 2018, 01:49 AM

What's the difference between them? Does the Recon Support Company have a completely better version of Pathfinders (since they can call in airstrikes)?
5 Feb 2018, 02:15 AM

I asked the same question back during DBP's testing period. The answer I got is that Pathfinders have a pair of sniper rifles which instakill models below half health. I&R Pathfinders carry one instead of two.

Here's the full post if you're interested:

IMO, I&R Pathfinders are a straight upgrade over Airborne pathfinders.

Sure, 1 sniper rifle as opposed to 2 sniper rifles sounds worse on paper. However, in practice, the vanilla rifles have better DPS that will help knock the squad down to the required 50% health for the snipe. Also, having only 1 slot item means that Barfinders on I&R Pathfinders will probably be less likely to drop their weapons.

So, if I&R Pathfinders really do turn out to be strictly better than Airborne Pathfinders, then it's worth making both versions a copy-paste of the new I&R Pathfinders. If, for whatever reason, it's decided that Airborne Pathfinders are actually more combat-capable than I&R Pathfinders, then it's probably worth keeping the two separate versions as they are currently.
5 Feb 2018, 02:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Feb 2018, 02:15 AMLago
I asked the same question back during DBP's testing period. The answer I got is that Pathfinders have a pair of sniper rifles which instakill models below half health. I&R Pathfinders carry one instead of two.

Here's the full post if you're interested:

So I&R Pathfinders are better than two instant kill snipers? What if they are equipped with two M1918A2 BARs? Would that make the two instant kill snipers better since they'll have good DPS and a good chance to instant kill?
5 Feb 2018, 04:27 AM

In a world where units fight 1v1 against enemy squads at more or less equal sets of cover and at full health, yeah, the one sniper rifle can be better.
5 Feb 2018, 12:57 PM

So I&R Pathfinders are better than two instant kill snipers? What if they are equipped with two M1918A2 BARs? Would that make the two instant kill snipers better since they'll have good DPS and a good chance to instant kill?

Even if you kit them out with two BARs the I&R squad still has an M1 Garand (standard USF rifle) instead of a second sniper rifle. The Garand deals more damage than the sniper rifle if the sniper doesn't proc an instakill.

The question you've got to ask is are there likely to be enough enemy models below 50% health simultaneously for the increased instakill potential to outweigh the DPS reduction?

I don't think it makes much strategic difference though. The units fill the same role and you're unlikely to choose between Recon and Airborne based on the Pathfinders.
5 Feb 2018, 15:05 PM

Pathfinders are really squishy, to the point where they make Grenadiers look like uber-tanks, and will lose models fast.

Each sniper rifle counts as a slot item which may end up displacing more valuable slot weapons (e.g., bars). If, somehow, your enemy fails at focusing fire on Pathfinders, then perhaps 2 sniper rifles & 2 BARS might be good. For any other case, you're better off with Recon Pathfinders.

Also, Airborne pathfinders don't have offmap strikes, so, the choice between the two pathfinders is trivial.
5 Feb 2018, 18:38 PM

Retreating squads and squads that need to retreat often have about 2 squad members, ostensibly wounded from a mortar or grenade blast. Very few engagements past the early game consist of only small arms fire.

But both versions of sniping pathfinders? They're all about cleaning up surviving/retreating squads.
5 Feb 2018, 18:54 PM

Pathfinders are really squishy, to the point where they make Grenadiers look like uber-tanks, and will lose models fast.

I don't really see why Grenadier appear so much tougher compared to Pathfinders.

First of all the combination of camo and sight radius allows pathfinder to chose their fights.

Grenadiers have 0.91 TS while Pathfinder have 1 (which is important but not the difference between "really squishy" and "uber-tanks") but grenadier are facing infantry that can close in and have more firepower.

By vet 2 Pathfinder get a Target size of 0.71 becoming tougher than grenadiers, while Grenadiers have to wait until vet 3 to get 0.70 TS. To make thing even worse Pathfinder have a lower XP value thus vet faster.

By vet 3 Pathfinder can fire out side the range of enemy infantry.

Pathfinder in heavy cover can stand against grenadier in heavy cover.

Basically Pathfinder (both versions) are extremely cost efficient units and become even more cost efficient combined with weapons that can spread damage like mortars, HMGs and bars (and generally explosive/ballistic weapons).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★