Login

russian armor

Does the AI cheat?

4 Feb 2018, 07:39 AM

Hi,

I decided to spin up the 'ol vCoH machine, and before diving in against the 7 people who still play, I thought it would be best to try a skirmish game or two and... I was annihilated by the AI...

I don't remember the AI being at all competitive, and all of a sudden I'm running into really odd builds which, on their face I feel shouldn't be working, like 8 Volks into Ostwinds? O.o and getting thoroughly crushed. Not only that but unit performance really doesn't seem right. One instance that sits in my mind was a fight on Angoville outside my base, 2 BAR'd Vet1 rifles got literally eviscerated by a fresh MP40 volks team, albeit in no cover.

Has my skill just decayed to a woeful level, or what? Anyone have any clue what's going on?
4 Feb 2018, 08:19 AM

AI cheats in COH2 for sure, I guess that's the case in vCOH too.
But don't listen to me, "strafniki" has an in-depth answer. NOT
4 Feb 2018, 08:56 AM

All I know is that AI has complete maphack and resource boosts (especially hard and expert). They produce far more resources to compensate the fact it's dumb.

If you can tunnel the AI into bad fights then you will easily win the match. AI isn't clever when it comes to infantry fights, they often charge against garrisons and so on.

Also they tend to waste their armor a lot, charging pak wall with a single T70, for example
4 Feb 2018, 10:12 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

All I know is that AI has complete maphack and resource boosts (especially hard and expert). They produce far more resources to compensate the fact it's dumb.

Exactly that!

In addition, the changes per difficulty:

Easy: gets less resources
Standard: is equal to players
Hard: gets more resources and has no fog of war
Expert: gets much more resources, has no fog of war and can see camouflaged units.
4 Feb 2018, 11:59 AM
Donator 11

The AI does cheat, but it is so dumb that it doesn't really justify a good player losing to it. Maybe you just didn't play AI so long you forgot how to do it, you need to really push it mistakes, and these happen very often. If you play too conservatively, like some players do in automatch, you will have harder time against AI.
4 Feb 2018, 12:21 PM

AI is really, really dumb. imo If players drops the game he should be replace with expert AI, not hard.
4 Feb 2018, 12:26 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2018, 12:21 PMStark
AI is really, really dumb. imo If players drops the game he should be replace with expert AI, not hard.

I would agree, but there is a slight problem. There is already a quite a big group of players who play worse than hard AI. I've dived into 4v4 ladder once and I played matches that people won just by dropping. Its strange but it really was easier to play once they were replaced by AI. And they even got a "win" and elo from that!. If that would be expert AI then such situation would be much more common and I think many teamgame players would complain about that.
4 Feb 2018, 13:14 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

Yeah sometimes okw cpu is better then some 3vs3, 4vs4 players sadly.

OKW cpu is anyway the best cpu!
4 Feb 2018, 15:14 PM

Thanks guys for your posts, but just a subtle reminder, I'm asking about vCoH :blush:
4 Feb 2018, 15:18 PM

Yeah sometimes okw cpu is better then some 3vs3, 4vs4 players sadly.

OKW cpu is anyway the best cpu!

Except the times when it decides, that a Kubelwagen is a good representative of 40+ minute mark vehicles :D

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2018, 12:21 PMStark

It is not always expert AI. The AI is chosen according to "ELO hell". I was reviewing a replay lately and there an OKW player was replaced by Easy AI :D
4 Feb 2018, 15:52 PM
Donator 11

Thanks guys for your posts, but just a subtle reminder, I'm asking about vCoH :blush:

As far as I know, its the same for both games.
4 Feb 2018, 15:53 PM
Donator 11

It is not always expert AI. The AI is chosen according to "ELO hell". I was reviewing a replay lately and there an OKW player was replaced by Easy AI :D

How do you know what kind of AI he was replaced with? It was always said that it is a hard AI every time.
4 Feb 2018, 16:03 PM

The AI is nothing more than a cheat machine.
1) They have increased resources as suggested. So be prepared for vehicles way before you get one even though you have both fuels.
2) They automatically counter your build. If you make unit A they will make unit B to counter.
3) Since they know where you click they will send that counter to the spot you clicked. So always click your moves at about twice the distance you really wish to go. Then the AI will put their units there instead. Or at least move many short distances.
4) The AI appear to be programmed to give you a decent fight for 30 - 40 minutes. After that they start doing stupid things. Maybe your army is too big to counter at that point?
5) If you have AI on your team they will play the opposite of your play. If you are doing good, they will play like crap. And vice versa. Again it feels as though they are trying to make your match last a certain time period.
6) In COH2 the AI will always try to block your vehicles. They are maybe trying to support you but instead they drive right behind your tanks so they get stuck and get rekt.
7) In COH1 your AI team will always mortar your stuff on purpose.
8) In COH2 the AI will never touch an open team weapon until you bring a unit up to retrieve it. Then the AI will steal it and retreat it to some retarded location on the map.
9) The countering AI makes it hard to learn sniper play because the cheaters make a vehicle and ghost your sniper when its made.
10) As stated they have NO FOG OF WAR so the little cockroaches will be sneaking around your sight objects and flanking you at all times. Thus the only good AI maps are narrow bridge maps.

You can learn from the AI play in that their units do not stay in a certain spot for more than a few seconds so they can not be mortared. They also tend to dodge grenades in higher difficulty.
4 Feb 2018, 16:28 PM

How do you know what kind of AI he was replaced with? It was always said that it is a hard AI every time.

In the player panel list the players name was changed to Easy AI
4 Feb 2018, 18:16 PM

There are more than 7 active players, more like 2000. If you queue for 2v2 random you will likely always find between 6 and 20 players in the queue. Just FYI.
4 Feb 2018, 19:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2018, 18:16 PMNosliw

There are more than 7 active players, more like 2000. If you queue for 2v2 random you will likely always find between 6 and 20 players in the queue. Just FYI.

Yeah, you're right, that was probably uncalled for on my part. xD
9 Mar 2018, 09:20 AM

I have found that If I have been given an AI partner the best thing to do is focus on VPs and let the bot cap everything else because bots will go out of their way to cap and harass enemy territory. I try to use them as a diversion and move as a concentrated force to flank responses. The bot also loves to recrew MGs and AT guns.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★