Login

russian armor

modding tools set

25 Jan 2018, 15:15 PM

hi,
I am new here and I am writing you all after exchanging a few emails with steam support team.
I would like to buy the COH2 with all its contents but actually Steam doesnt offer the modding tools anymore. There are 82 tools available, none of which is for COH2.
I would like to extract the archive files and mod the game (learn it step by step)but I cant get any legitimate modding tools.
Can you guys help me, cuz if there is no modding possibilities I will not spend money on the game.
Or can you point me to any extracted sga files?
I hope I explained it clear enough what my problem is, pls help me out guys.
25 Jan 2018, 16:14 PM

As far as I know the mod tools are included in the purchase of the game. You can find them in steam under "tools". ( Where private server stuff is, etc).

I do not know if you purchase Western Front Armies or the British Forces alone if the tools are available, though, as Ive always had the original game.

Mind you, mod tools are rather restricted. You cannot add assets like new models.
25 Jan 2018, 21:18 PM
Master Modmaker Badge

Hello,
if I remember correctly you need to buy the original game* to get access to the modding tools. After you purchased the game the tool should appear under tools with a name "Company of Heroes 2 Tools".

As ZombiFrancis sad keep in mind that the Coh2 tools are really limited in the current stage so you cant add new models, uniforms, etc.

Regards,
RagnarTheGamer

*Company of Heroes 2
26 Jan 2018, 08:25 AM

Thank you guys for the quick response. I will risk buying the game and see. What I find interesting is that I find this out of you after having exchanged two emails with steam support staffers who has never told me this and their answer is typically full of sales stuff and marketing rather than "support". Sorry if I am overly critical but it would have been so easy for them to say what you just told me...
Thanks again.
One more question if you allow me: can smf sound files be modded, extracted - changed?
I checked the steam "shelves" and there is no collection of the game with all added. On eBay I can buy the whole Master Collection including even CoH1 stuff for 35,- with steam download keys (whereas buying it directly on steam with all dlc parts cost significantly more I found). Would they still unlock, you think the tools for me? Never got an answer from steam support regarding this either...
26 Jan 2018, 08:41 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

can smf sound files be modded, extracted - changed?

The modtools are quit limited sadly. Sound and models cannot be edited.
26 Jan 2018, 12:11 PM

thanx for the warning...
may I ask guys what is it good for? or should just look at Eliwood's tuts and find out?
26 Jan 2018, 12:45 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

may I ask guys what is it good for? or should just look at Eliwood's tuts and find out?

You might be interested in this topic: https://www.coh2.org/topic/52553/what-is-currently-possible-with-modding
26 Jan 2018, 12:51 PM

imho modding for coh2 will never be good because

1) Relic has given up on the modding scene for coh2, that means no tools updates, and that means -

2) no functionality and needed features, which results in highly-restrictive tools. Relic wants to limit playerbase creativity as much as possible w/o looking like bad people so they only have us 1/10 of what is possible and cut off support forever.
26 Jan 2018, 13:09 PM

1) Relic has given up on the modding scene for coh2, that means no tools updates, and that means -

2) no functionality and needed features, which results in highly-restrictive tools. Relic wants to limit playerbase creativity as much as possible w/o looking like bad people so they only have us 1/10 of what is possible and cut off support forever.

I'm sorry but I take exception to your post.

The modding tools we have been given are not perfect but neither are they at all bad considering. Most games don't provide anything even remotely as accessible. The game does still have a few community based mod projects that are officially sanctioned projects. The recent wildlife charity skin sets are a good example.

Relic has an activate domain maintained by Sega but no longer exists. The parent company of Relic (THQ) also no longer exists so blame if any would presumably lie with Sega the games original publisher and the entity who bought up the various THQ IP's.

For a game released in June 2013, that's 4 and a half years ago and that is still being updated and patched to this day (which is more than can be said for even some AAA titles) I think you need to learn on what side your bread is buttered and be thankful for what you do have instead of musing on what you don't.
26 Jan 2018, 13:23 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Don't forget that Relic provided these tools for free, and it's enough to create new exciting gamemodes :thumb:

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jan 2018, 13:09 PMMoocats
be thankful for what you do have instead of musing on what you don't.

+1 :clap:
26 Jan 2018, 19:31 PM

You guys are super in feedback and thank you all very much. I ordered the game today with all existing dlc and I will see.
I read thru your answers carefully and I think we have to make a healthy compromise between what we want and what we get. I suppose that the game is made with a bunch of third party tools and those cannot be included in a modding tools set. Because of the lack of rights and authorization. So I guess we got what they could give us. Which is probably not much.
I wonder though... Because COH originally had nothing for us but dedicated people like Cornix and Copernicus made wonders in terms of community tools. How come we dont have community tools anymore.
I used to play COH (seems now,like ages ago) and did some modding on my own (basics really) but it seems to me that with COH2 we lost the community base.
Far as I can tell, there are very few people still interested in the game and modding possibilities anymore.
Anyway, thanx again for the help and responses!
26 Jan 2018, 22:33 PM

You make a point; perhaps with community tools we could do more but I think the reliance on the workshop and the desire to have our mods accessible and compatible with all dissuades that somewhat.

I'm glad you bought the game and if you need pointers with the tools then seriously ask. The community here is great and helped me work out some of the kinks in my mod. I can't recommend the resources here enough.

Welcome to the community ;-)
27 Jan 2018, 12:05 PM

Thank you! If I run into trouble I will post. :)
28 Jan 2018, 02:44 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I think I should get this out there, the current tools are perfectly capable of adding and changing all models/textures, however, this functionality is disabled because of anything from security risks to trying to keep DLC somewhat valuable. Current visual modding is limited only to changing weapons around and vehicle skins.
Modding sound is a bit harder, the tools can add sound to a archive, but changing the sound itself and creating the appropriate sound container requires something else.
28 Jan 2018, 09:31 AM

I am guessing, it is Shark container....
There are third party and community tools for that but it might not work ourside its "development environment"
Anyway, i have another question. Not that it makes any sense really, other then COH is much easier to mod, can we perhaps import COH2 models into COH? Or is it a totally different setup in COH2?
Again....just curious...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 27
Germany 1
Germany 665
unknown 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L