Login

russian armor

How important is the map to victory?

23 Nov 2017, 03:55 AM

For example, Faymonvile, Langres, Lost glider, I find really great maps and fun to play on but lets i'll try and kid myself, its because I have the most success on them.

Then we have maps like Khlodny, minsk, crossing in the woods and the rest really that are just not fun to play on, I find them far too large for 1v1's, which is another point...

Why do we have 2v2 maps in the 1v1 rotation? I doubt it's a coincidence that the maps I find fun are ones that are built around 1v1 matchups, when you have enough room for 4 players but limit it to 2 players, half of your time is spent running to the points ( I'm surprised Kholodny isn't a 2v2 map..)

What do you think, are maps that powerful that they can determine victory of a faction matchup, or is it always based down to the better/luckier player..
23 Nov 2017, 04:56 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

Not all of the 2v2 maps in the 1v1 rotation are larger than the pure 1v1 maps. Some are of course, but some aren't; regardless, I see your point.

I'm sure that nearly everyone would agree that the map you get is a factor in who wins. How big of an effect the map has on the result depends on which two factions are playing on it, and which side each faction is on.

The thing is, map balance depends on well...everything. How close are the garrisons to spawn, how close are the strat points to spawn, what kind of cover is around the strat points (maybe one side has heavy cover that can completely overlook a point, maybe they both have heavy cover but one side has larger heavy cover that is able to protect more models in a squad), how much cover is there in general, how close are the garrisons to spawns, how many windows do each of the garrisons have, how many garrisons are there, how large is the map. The entire matchup can be defined by any single one of these factors, so once you throw all of them in...

On a related note, my largest gripe with the 2v2 maps being used in 1v1 maps is that the spawn positions (not just the sides) are all completely random. You can be put in the far spawn and have to walk your units an extra 10-15 seconds just to get onto the field. In some matchups, this means you essentially have lost map control the instant the game started.
23 Nov 2017, 07:49 AM
Donator 11

Map itself doesn't change too much. It's map in combination with particular factions that can alter the result. The more you play different factions, the more objective your opinion about the map will be. For example I consider kholodny, minsk and especially crossing to be very good maps for 1v1. Crossing and minsk are terrible in 2v2 though.
23 Nov 2017, 08:31 AM

how-to-win much easier:

- right map
- right faction
- right commander

imagine a OKW player with jagtiger on a urban map

or imagine a arty spamer on Lienne Forest..

23 Nov 2017, 09:10 AM
Lead Strategist Badge

Map balance has a big influence about to win or lose; yes!
23 Nov 2017, 09:13 AM

Play wehrmacht on briansk forest to instawin KAPPPA
23 Nov 2017, 09:17 AM

The most important thing is identify which maps you dislike/ have harder time on, and maybe look if there is a different strategy you can use there..

So for large maps maybe make use of halftracks to help you reinforce and stay on the field longer, or some other form of forward reinforcing.

Maybe also using more light vehicles than you normally would can help you keep map control.

Just try to think outside your normal box.
23 Nov 2017, 09:51 AM

I always find that if I play with a certain faction on a certain map, I know I will have either a good chance to win or a definite chance to lose lol. There are also these types of maps where no particular faction has a definite edge, but when you have a specific side of the map, you know you will lose haha. For example Moscow Outskirts or Crossing in the Woods.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★