Login

russian armor

Some questions for relic/community

2 Nov 2017, 16:16 PM

Often when a new patch comes out it’s exciting, and thankfully brings a change to the meta. But many of the community and myself is left wondering, why is there a scope and who sets the limits, or decides what the scope is.

We know the names of the community members are that are involved in the balance patch, and tbh I give them respect for doing something for all of us(even if we disagree with some of their choices) and not be paid to do so. (at least I’m not aware of them being paid)

So my question is, who is the one at relic who decides what’s in the scope? Who’s the one that says yes or no to proposals, who’s the one that decides that is okay to leave completely broken units such as sim city, refuses to bring a fix, knowingly it’s a terrible design, yet would prefer to fix satchels harming units in a SC.

To the best of my knowledge. The relic staff that I’m aware of is Kyle, and this Andy guy. These are the two relic staff members that I see communicate from time to time, and weather or not If they are focused on other games I just know they are here. And we all know Kyle’s skill at the game...So is there someone who works at relic that actively plays the game, who is actually good. Let’s say top ~40 that’s calling the shots, That is well aware of the mechanics and how things work. Or is it literally someone who is focused on 3 different games at once, who literally has coh2 on the back of their minds, who doesn’t really know how things are currently, or at all for that matter that is simply blindly agreeing what to change/what not to change.

So for this example this someone gets told that the newest army of coh2 aka Brit’s has broken units (sim city) but to the relic staff member he only sees DLC army aka money in his eyes so he refuses to change it.

Or is the balance team givin, say you can only change X Amount of units from army A.

I’m trying to figure out how things are here simply, who’s calling the shots, is the community balance team restricted, and why.
Why are things left untouched that are willingly broken, yet things are changed that honestly can wait.

Who decides to pull the plug on the FBP and why exactly, why did it have to wait till December. Don’t give me the lame excuse of not rated high enough, cuz honestly I wasn’t givin shit to rate,

If the community balance team is the one doing all the hard labor then why does it matter if relic is working on DOW/AOE

This is all questions iv been asking because relic since the British, some say TA/windustry, has been shooting themselves in the foot, restricting themselves/coh2 to limits beyond frustrating, why simple things such as demos that everyone high and low knows is broken able to stay.

I don’t see how any of the names/info I’m asking should be kept secret/or is private, shit should be public knowledge so I figured I’d ask.

TL/DR:
Who decides scope from relic
Who plays the game from relic
Who makes the decisions from relic in terms of patches/times
Why are things so broken left alone yet things that can wait are fixed.
Of the community balance team/who’s the leader, the messenger from relic to the rest of the team, and who’s the one with the last say
2 Nov 2017, 16:44 PM

These are great questions that we would all love to know. But realistically Relic doesn't owe us anything. They made the game and can just say "Its done, next project".

So why would they want to communicate with the community?
1. To keep interest in the game so that new purchases are made? #1 thing you see in steam game reviews: "This game is dead do not buy unless you want to play alone".
2. To make money on new content such as DLC, Skins, etc?
3. Maybe there is some small pride in the thing they have created :)

I would love to see more transparency from Relic but I also see the chat in their twitch streams where everyone is just bitching the whole time and calling them retards. Does this happen in other dev streams? Is it just the RTS community that is so salty? Did Relic bring this upon themselves? I am new to the whole community thing so I don't know.
2 Nov 2017, 17:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

It's more akin to a company politic to whether or not they are allowed to say anything at all.

I would love to see more transparency from Relic but I also see the chat in their twitch streams where everyone is just bitching the whole time and calling them retards. Does this happen in other dev streams? Is it just the RTS community that is so salty? Did Relic bring this upon themselves? I am new to the whole community thing so I don't know.

If you expect anything productive from Twitch chat, you are just looking at the wrong place. Twitch chat on any channel is just a cest pool or stream of memes.

If you think people are salty on the RTS community, just jump into any MOBA game.
2 Nov 2017, 17:22 PM

A few reasons probably effect why certain things aren't 'fixed" or touched.

The most major one is they had a design idea in mind for British, people bought British BECAUSE of their design idea. Say one day they removed all emplacements from british(give them a mobile mortar, idk a mobile bofors or something). That leads to a lot of angry customers, people didn't "pay" for that, they payed for an emplacement based faction. As annoying or not fun as it is to play against it, they made the decision to make them that way and sell them that way.

Another reason is that it may not make money. Pointless to convince higher ups to fix commanders that are free instead of paid ones. I'm incredibly surprised they are even allowing fixing of a few commanders for each faction at all.

Another reason is I don't think Relic/Sega know exactly what to do with CoH2. They know it can make money, but a sequel may not really be the wisest idea (You all ask for an African campaign but every coh game that introduced british everyone HATES). This game is pretty unstable and the engine is odd. Dawn of War 3 is what they want CoH2 to be like, a platform they can keep building on. But to fully remake this game would be a nightmare and not worth the cost.
2 Nov 2017, 17:29 PM

It's more akin to a company politic to whether or not they are allowed to say anything at all.

I agree, every communication represents Relic. I would imagine that each communication would go thru several layers of sign off before going live. Relic is then also held accountable to that communication. Me personally, I would rather see more vague communication than no communication. And of course each communication is just more ammo for chat/forum trolls :) But, "Hey we are looking to patch the game in the coming months" goes a long way over nothing. Nothing = Dead Game, dont buy. Look at the activity created by the December patch announcement.
2 Nov 2017, 17:33 PM

The most major one is they had a design idea in mind for British, people bought British BECAUSE of their design idea.

Another important point is "Should the game be fun for everyone to play?" Making 1-click arty and emplacements take less skill than microing an army. So people with less skill can still enjoy the game and transition to the harder armies as they get better. Its a sort of handicap system. I mean how many times have you seen emplacements facing the wrong way? These guys need some help until they get on their feet with all you big dick playas.
2 Nov 2017, 18:22 PM

Very simple questions that are i guess hard for anyone who has a color in their name to answer.
2 Nov 2017, 19:36 PM

The process has been unclear for nearly two years.

The only structure that's been really been described is that the mod team submits a tuning pack to relic. Relic then implements what they want, how they want.

That is about it. As for what kind of direction or involvement from the community or relic actually exists, well, your guess is as good as anyone elses.

But it should be worth noting there have been a great number of people who have contributed to the design and balance of the coh franchise that are not official.

The idea that the mod team is the only ones putting forth effort, now or before is grossly false. IMO, the mod team functions mostly as buffer between relic and the community rather than as a liason.
2 Nov 2017, 20:35 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I agree, every communication represents Relic. I would imagine that each communication would go thru several layers of sign off before going live. Relic is then also held accountable to that communication. Me personally, I would rather see more vague communication than no communication. And of course each communication is just more ammo for chat/forum trolls :) But, "Hey we are looking to patch the game in the coming months" goes a long way over nothing. Nothing = Dead Game, dont buy. Look at the activity created by the December patch announcement.

Hey, we had been having this discussion since 2013 and probably the guys behind the scene during the life vcoh as well. But i think it's not easy for them when they don't have someone specifically assign to do this who is capacitated and can live up to the standards of this passionate community on top of having to deal with what seems an extreme disarray of management.

Think about the winter balance patch. It took till spring to be released. Unfortunately, either there's not enough resources to put here in order to get things done or things might be happening behind the scenes which even them might not know when they can get it fix or if they are allowed to get it fix.
2 Nov 2017, 20:41 PM

Hey, we had been having this discussion since 2013 and probably the guys behind the scene during the life vcoh as well.

True, but up until 2015/2016 COH2 had actual relic devs.
2 Nov 2017, 20:43 PM

Hey, we had been having this discussion since 2013 and probably the guys behind the scene during the life vcoh as well. But i think it's not easy for them when they don't have someone specifically assign to do this who is capacitated and can live up to the standards of this passionate community on top of having to deal with what seems an extreme disarray of management.

Think about the winter balance patch. It took till spring to be released. Unfortunately, either there's not enough resources to put here in order to get things done or things might be happening behind the scenes which even them might not know when they can get it fix or if they are allowed to get it fix.

I appreciate your reply, I’m more or less looking for facts, to actually build a chain of command. To actually know what behind the scenes are.

We all know how the winter balance patch and others alike came out, along with various events that relic “took part in” what I’m looking for is who is “relic” I mean is it Kyle that is saying yes or no, is it the cook at McDonald’s across the street from relics HQ. is it some Japanese dude in japan who can give to shits about coh2. Who bought relic because he lost a bet.

This whole website is observations and I thinks, nothing real specific on who is actually doing what, one thing I do know is there is a chain, and if someone legit just explains it like Mr. smith, then we can go from there. Instead it’s pitch silence. This is a time for a community member to actually let us know who’s their contact in relic, who makes the decisions.
2 Nov 2017, 21:06 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I appreciate your reply, I’m more or less looking for facts, to actually build a chain of command. To actually know what behind the scenes are.

We all know how the winter balance patch and others alike came out, along with various events that relic “took part in” what I’m looking for is who is “relic” I mean is it Kyle that is saying yes or no, is it the cook at McDonald’s across the street from relics HQ. is it some Japanese dude in japan who can give to shits about coh2. Who bought relic because he lost a bet.

This whole website is observations and I thinks, nothing real specific on who is actually doing what, one thing I do know is there is a chain, and if someone legit just explains it like Mr. smith, then we can go from there. Instead it’s pitch silence. This is a time for a community member to actually let us know who’s their contact in relic, who makes the decisions.

From what i could gather along this years is that they don't want to let you know and they just have a scapegoat around (which is basically what CM are nowadays in general). They had some intentions of changing things (do you remember Cuddletronic on the bug section?) but i think the funds run dry and people were relocated to other sections.

You won't get more info out of this:

Community: complain, discuss, suggest, ask for things.

Community members with capabilities to use world builder/modding/game knowledge: delivers

Kyle or whoever is the poor soul left behind with CoH2: tries to compile everything and have it test

???? approves it.
2 Nov 2017, 21:14 PM

From what i could gather along this years is that they don't want to let you know and they just have a scapegoat around (which is basically what CM are nowadays in general). They had some intentions of changing things (do you remember Cuddletronic on the bug section?) but i think the funds run dry and people were relocated to other sections.

You won't get more info out of this:

Community: complain, discuss, suggest, ask for things.

Community members with capabilities to use world builder/modding/game knowledge: delivers

Kyle or whoever is the poor soul left behind with CoH2: tries to compile everything and have it test

???? approves it.

I like the format you used here. And yes I can agree with you 100% on it. So what I would like to know if anyone here can confirm #3 (like has anyone seen any forwarded emails/or straight up replies from so n so, as well as if #2 can give an fact or opinion on #4.

Iv said many times before, relics 5 year plan is to keep some staff members employed, why finish and polish off a game in 3 years and lose 2 years worth of work?

So if your Kyle, and coh2 is apart of your income, and he may very be the one that’s taking the information and presenting it/flat out making decisions, would you want to lose 2 years worth of work?

Or do we have a dumbass “suit” that doesn’t play coh2 for shit and is making decisions on nothing but how units sound to him verbally or how good can Kyle word is presentation.

Is this game magically going to be polished off or at its best state during the last patch/end of 5 years
2 Nov 2017, 21:16 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I like the format you used here. And yes I can agree with you 100% on it. So what I would like to know if anyone here can confirm #3 (like has anyone seen any forwarded emails/or straight up replies from so n so, as well as if #2 can give an fact or opinion on #4.

More like due to respect, NDA or whatever, that is not something most if any company at all would tell you (you as the general public).
2 Nov 2017, 21:19 PM

I edited my last message. Towards the end. I agree what your saying, but point is. A community members aka one of us who knows this might be able to help. Clarify things
2 Nov 2017, 22:07 PM

Your best bet is to hope for a reply by Kyle, or look for official interviews with Relic staff on the net, to get an idea of how they do things. Community members who have insight probably wont be allowed to share too much.
2 Nov 2017, 22:26 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

Your best bet is to hope for a reply by Kyle, or look for official interviews with Relic staff on the net, to get an idea of how they do things. Community members who have insight probably wont be allowed to share too much.

:thumb:

And yes all the work is free. We don't get any money from it!

In our freetime we try to make this game, which we all love, better. Even after 4-5 Years exist.
And pls, its still Relic/ Sega Game so ofc they make the drill.

But feel free to create a Forumthread on the offical forum. Maybe people will response.

2 Nov 2017, 22:34 PM

:thumb:

You lingered in this thread for how long and this is the best you can do. Real smooth there.
2 Nov 2017, 22:37 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

You lingered in this thread for how long and this is the best you can do. Real smooth there.

Dude srsly?

Yes my Internetbrowser was open the whole time. Really sorry. I did not even had the time to read here everything. Because i have other stuff to do. So i thought i give atleast a short response.

Atm i have 9 Internettabs open, which is normal for me. And then Skype and discord as well...

2 Nov 2017, 22:39 PM

Dude srsly?

Yes my Internetbrowser was open the whole time. Really sorry. I did not even had the time to read here everything. Because i have other stuff to do. So i thought i give atleast a short response.

Atm i have 9 Internettabs open, which is normal for me. And then Skype and discord as well...

Ok? and?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS