Login

russian armor

UI Position. I find my self confused....

10 Sep 2017, 12:30 PM

According to AE the UI position in relation to the command bar is as follows;

For the command card, the tens place is the row and the ones place is the column.

Looking at some abilities they will use the position 10 and be first such as the officer in the SS below. However the cargo trusck has a setting of 30 yet is in the 20 position. This tells me that the game does not allow for a space and will simply shift all icons to the lowest available tens value on the UI.

So that is all fine, but the second part is what I'm confused by "....and the ones place is the column." but this to me creates conflicts as there would be more than one entry for "11" "12" "21" etc all the way up to 34.

Using the understanding that on the command bar, the icons will shift to the lowest available 10's position would simply using a value higher than possible in the bottom right cells, for example 41. Would that put the ability in the supposed position of 11 on the command bar?

This is all assuming one can add something to that area of the UI. When I tried adding something in positions 80 and 81 I couldn't get either to show. Can you place abilities in that area of the UI?

The image below depicts what I'm asking. Thanks.

10 Sep 2017, 12:31 PM

Image isn't big enough to really see so open it in a new tab link here:

https://i.imgur.com/o18gdf8.jpg
12 Sep 2017, 15:47 PM

Bump. Still need help with this. :-(
12 Sep 2017, 23:42 PM

I think that description is just copy and pasted for every ui_position entry, even though not everything can be on the command card, etc. There's also "ui_group" but I don't think that applies here.

An ebps has a value range of 1-34.

An ability has a value range through 160. I think you can get an ability to show up on the command panel, but just like the King Tiger call-in, you have to have a commander chosen for it to show up. This is also why call-ins are abilities that spawn units, rather than 'building' a unit like an ebps with a spawner extension.

I know that position gets messed with depending on the value of requirements that dictate the display of the UI though. You could check and see if the '80' and '81' abilities don't have a requirement for usage and/or display that could be preventing you from seeing it or it coming up properly.

I had modded a sort of pseudo wehrmacht vet that were supposed to overlay on the same UI slot, but the icons kept appearing in the nearest available slot, rather than disappearing and being replaced. I think the requirements I'd set for the icons appearing had conflicts which made things wonky.
13 Sep 2017, 00:34 AM

Hi thanks for the response Francis I appreciate it.

Abilities are what I am trying to put up there; in fact they're dispatch/call in abilities and if I add the abilities to an entity, for example the HQ they will show in any UI slot 11-34 I specify and work fine.

Of course this isn't an ideal place for this type of ability, which is obviously why I want them on the command panel. Even selecting a random commander doesn't make them show; I had that same though RE the King Tiger so I tried that.

I know that position gets messed with depending on the value of requirements that dictate the display of the UI though. You could check and see if the '80' and '81' abilities don't have a requirement for usage and/or display that could be preventing you from seeing it or it coming up properly.

I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean here; can you elaborate further? Many thanks

Side note; I remember once playing a version of Vire River Valley that had the ability to place forward HQ's and it had the old school German elite troops instant vet thing. These where in the row above the commander abilities; so position 11 and 21. This was specific to the map so I know it's possible to display things in that location I just need to get on top of how. o_O
13 Sep 2017, 01:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2017, 00:34 AMMoocats
Hi thanks for the response Francis I appreciate it.
I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean here; can you elaborate further? Many thanks

Side note; I remember once playing a version of Vire River Valley that had the ability to place forward HQ's and it had the old school German elite troops instant vet thing. These where in the row above the commander abilities; so position 11 and 21. This was specific to the map so I know it's possible to display things in that location I just need to get on top of how. o_O

So if you look under the different extensions under any given ability or upgrade, you'll see 'requirements'.

Under a requirement there will be 'reason'. There is 'usage', 'display', and 'display and usage'. This could be the culprit if there's a requirement that is preventing the display of the icon. It's worth checking. It's been the bane of my existence before. :D

Also, have you tried setting the ui_position value to 0, or kept it to single digits? It's be worth a shot if you haven't. (I think a 'ones' value of 0 is supposed to be the commander panel, but I'm not sure.)
13 Sep 2017, 07:44 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

The positions at the right, 11 - 34, are from the selected structure or units. The positions at the center are global from the player. I added a custom ability in the commander row once by adding it in the categorie 'army' > 'abilities'. So these positions don't conflict.

Although, I think the abilities in the row above the commander abilities are positioned with SCAR scripts and that's not possible in a tuning pack.
13 Sep 2017, 14:21 PM

The positions at the right, 11 - 34, are from the selected structure or units. The positions at the center are global from the player. I added a custom ability in the commander row once by adding it in the categorie 'army' > 'abilities'. So these positions don't conflict.

Although, I think the abilities in the row above the commander abilities are positioned with SCAR scripts and that's not possible in a tuning pack.

There it is, a much better explanation.:thumbsup:
13 Sep 2017, 23:07 PM

You've both been so helpful thanks.

The: Armies > abilities was indeed the missing link; I can now get them on the command bar, oddly it seems anything in UI slot 70 and 80 won't display until one picks a commander; But 90 all the way up to 160 show regardless. (There is 10 in total) Rather odd.

I was afraid that scar would be the answer for using the UI slots above the standard commander row. As I don't know the firs think about Lua this may be a dead end for me as I've not got the time to learn it. I like to mess about with modding but only within the limits of what free time allows. Win conditions can do custom scar functions though can they not? Perhaps I'll be able to find someone to help me setup an accompanying WC pack for my mod then.

Francis; The 'usage', 'display', and 'display and usage' are fields I'd not noticed before. What is the difference may I ask? It sounded obvious at first but when I went down the logic of thought I realized it didn't quite make sense which probably means my impression of it was not right to begin with. xD
14 Sep 2017, 00:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2017, 23:07 PMMoocats
Usage means the ability will appear but not be able to be used until requirements are met.

Display means that the icon won't appear until the requirements are met.

So you can set a 'display' requirement to say, having battle phase 1 researched, and a 'usage' requirement be having T2 built for instance.

Effect: the ability appears once BP1 is researched, but can't be used until T2 is built.
14 Sep 2017, 06:54 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2017, 23:07 PMMoocats
The 'usage', 'display', and 'display and usage' are fields I'd not noticed before. What is the difference may I ask?

'display' = People can't see the ability, but the AI can still use it ;)
'display and usage'. = People and the AI can't use it
14 Sep 2017, 14:01 PM

Yeah that's how I thought; where I fell down in confusion was "display & usage" that seemed redundant until SneakEye explained that the AI can still use a non displayed ability.
16 Sep 2017, 15:55 PM

Ok so there's a problem. I play on an ultra wide so I didn't even consider this issue until my friend sent me this screenshot;

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/861733669322148805/5B101F5048F26F3F0931B848FA7E09052D56D7E3/

I'm gonna need some help with the UI I think rofl.
10 Mar 2018, 13:06 PM

Wow was about to post this question as well.
I want to add an ability to call in my new squad Elite Assault Engineers to or above the commander bar, with no requirement of any commander, just want it to display there but be greyed out till 3 command points.

I'm having trouble understanding what you guys mean by "Armies > abilities".

I did set the "<int name="ui_position" value="90" />" to 90 in the ability, but don't see armies to set to abilities.
Just see "<enum name="ui_group" value="group_primary" />"

Update, Ah IC, it's a Category "Armies" tab I didn't have open.
IC now where the abilities are listed. So instead of editing that I just hijacked the assault engineers ability.

Thanks guys your conversations are learning tools :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 31
Russian Federation 25
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak