Login

russian armor

Buff the Storm Tiger pls!!!

14 Aug 2017, 19:35 PM

Swap engine sounds with the goliath so you can easily hear it coming perhaps? Its a really fun unit that punishes shit ass blobbers so like the demo charge i would hate to see it just another "oh shit ill just retreat to my FRP" bullshit
14 Aug 2017, 19:57 PM
Patrion 14

some of the suggestions for making sturmtiger more noticeable so somehow it balances out its wipe-ability is off the point imo.

remember old close air support commander? the one which had stuka AT ability that would kill any allied medium tanks (800hp ones included) if used half competently? people defended the commander by saying that it clearly has smoke signals... if you were on the edge of the map, you had 2 seconds to dodge or if you were in the middle of the map (2v2), you had 4-5 seconds to dodge.

but it was not about whether it had clear signal or not. the real problem was that it wiped tanks. it does not punish tanks, it kills them outright. that is the problem with designs of sturmtiger, demos and goliath. they are not "blob counters" they "unit(s) wipers". one sturmtiger shot, one goliath or one demo kills one squad just as effectively and all the while being worthwhile.

so if anything, like @buttcheeksontoast said, it should be redesigned so it does not go against coh2 basic logic.
14 Aug 2017, 20:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2017, 19:57 PMpigsoup
some of the suggestions for making sturmtiger more noticeable so somehow it balances out its wipe-ability is off the point imo.

remember old close air support commander? the one which had stuka AT ability that would kill any allied medium tanks (800hp ones included) if used half competently? people defended the commander by saying that it clearly has smoke signals... if you were on the edge of the map, you had 2 seconds to dodge or if you were in the middle of the map (2v2), you had 4-5 seconds to dodge.

but it was not about whether it had clear signal or not. the real problem was that it wiped tanks. it does not punish tanks, it kills them outright. that is the problem with designs of sturmtiger, demos and goliath. they are not "blob counters" they "unit(s) wipers". one sturmtiger shot, one goliath or one demo kills one squad just as effectively and all the while being worthwhile.

so if anything, like @buttcheeksontoast said, it should be redesigned so it does not go against coh2 basic logic.

My point is that balance currently seems to go like this: A community figurehead will target something they don't like then garner support from the usual parrots, and we'll see patch notes/mod changes reflective of that. Those changes are usually over the top, and switch up meta only enough for another flavor of cheese to dominate, people get fed up with that - rinse repeat.

The approach to balance should be more about changing as little as possible with each patch, so that new versions of the game don't have their own blatant over the top and over performing units that are targeted and over nerfed in the next patch. I get this approach may not be the most appropriate for CoH2, because from my understanding Relic doesn't intend to release more than 2 patches in a year - but the current mad dash to drastically change things up each patch just means longer wait times to fix issues created by those patches. Also, this community clearly lacks the ability to come at each topic objectively, another huge flaw in the philosophy that community driven balance can work.

That all being said I will agree that being able to silently park behind a shot blocker and fire through it is a bit cheesy, but as you stated it's comparable to demo charges and goliaths, which at times can also seem cheesy. I don't think that's reason to remove them or change them so that they function differently then they currently do, that just invites more blobbing. And we all know how much this community hates blobbing. There's definitely a solution to making the unit more "fair" while letting it maintain it's role - but finding that solution is going to require more thought than "remove from game".

14 Aug 2017, 20:59 PM

My point is that balance currently seems to go like this: A community figurehead will target something they don't like then garner support from the usual parrots, and we'll see patch notes/mod changes reflective of that. Those changes are usually over the top, and switch up meta only enough for another flavor of cheese to dominate, people get fed up with that - rinse repeat.

The approach to balance should be more about changing as little as possible with each patch, so that new versions of the game don't have their own blatant over the top and over performing units that are targeted and over nerfed in the next patch. I get this approach may not be the most appropriate for CoH2, because from my understanding Relic doesn't intend to release more than 2 patches in a year - but the current mad dash to drastically change things up each patch just means longer wait times to fix issues created by those patches. Also, this community clearly lacks the ability to come at each topic objectively, another huge flaw in the philosophy that community driven balance can work.

That all being said I will agree that being able to silently park behind a shot blocker and fire through it is a bit cheesy, but as you stated it's comparable to demo charges and goliaths, which at times can also seem cheesy. I don't think that's reason to remove them or change them so that they function differently then they currently do, that just invites more blobbing. And we all know how much this community hates blobbing. There's definitely a solution to making the unit more "fair" while letting it maintain it's role - but finding that solution is going to require more thought than "remove from game".

One thing to note is that sometimes they nerf the over-the-top bullshit so people end up looking around for new over the top bullshit. Take dshkas for example. They weren't changed one bit in the patch that brought them into meta but suddenly everyone's using penals with lend lease because maxim got nerfed so cons maxim was no longer viable. What you say still has merit though, even taking the same example. Dshkas came into meta because maxims were over nerfed and as a result are not very viable.
14 Aug 2017, 21:02 PM

I recommended that blob one shot abilities should not kill lone squads. I don't know how you would program this, but it should only be 100% lethal when it hits two or three squads. A lot of blobbers will use the ''it wipes lone squads argument'' to have its power reduced vs their blob. Losing a fully upgraded and vetted unit hurts.
14 Aug 2017, 21:44 PM

Maybe a smaller lethal areas but a wider "damn that hurt" radius? Then only those outright nailed die but unless a squad is clumped behind cover they will make it out alive, if only barely.

I think thats a direction all big boomers should go personally- wide damage,not wide wipe radius
14 Aug 2017, 23:41 PM

Maybe a smaller lethal areas but a wider "damn that hurt" radius? Then only those outright nailed die but unless a squad is clumped behind cover they will make it out alive, if only barely.

I think thats a direction all big boomers should go personally- wide damage,not wide wipe radius

Wait doesn't that punish single squads even more and blobbing even less?
14 Aug 2017, 23:58 PM

Wait doesn't that punish single squads even more and blobbing even less?

Sorry if i wasnt clear, i mean reduce the OHK radius but increase the far AOE a fair bit, making it require a more direct hit on clumped infantry and not fully wiping naturally spaced infantry. The larger far (or maybe even mid) aoe would let the damage reach further meaning that even with the reduced OHK radius its still sending damage towards the target (vs the wipe or nothing thing we have now) it would be less effective vs lone squads by straight up being less lethal, but better vs blobs by hitting more of the blob.

The biggest flaw however with this i think would be magic AOE heals
15 Aug 2017, 00:40 AM

naturally spaced infantry

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this?

As in, per squad, or per multiple squads?
15 Aug 2017, 01:30 AM

Sorry if i wasnt clear, i mean reduce the OHK radius but increase the far AOE a fair bit, making it require a more direct hit on clumped infantry and not fully wiping naturally spaced infantry. The larger far (or maybe even mid) aoe would let the damage reach further meaning that even with the reduced OHK radius its still sending damage towards the target (vs the wipe or nothing thing we have now) it would be less effective vs lone squads by straight up being less lethal, but better vs blobs by hitting more of the blob.

The biggest flaw however with this i think would be magic AOE heals

So basically heavily damaging the entirety of a blob? Still would wipe infantry in cover, like sandbags or fences, which is what it's not supposed to do though, right? And also the AoE heals.
15 Aug 2017, 01:32 AM

For the amount of rocket artillery/demos and various other deterrents allies have to punish blobs. The ST is one of the few to do the same. It's a pure hit or miss like everything else in the damn axis arsinal.

I'm not gonna deny that it does wipe fully vetted squads, but there are bigger issues that needs to be handled first.

Of the 5 factions, 3 of them are all-in-one infantry unit blobbing, fix that then fix the ST

15 Aug 2017, 01:42 AM

For the amount of rocket artillery/demos and various other deterrents allies have to punish blobs. The ST is one of the few to do the same. It's a pure hit or miss like everything else in the damn axis arsinal.

I'm not gonna deny that it does wipe fully vetted squads, but there are bigger issues that needs to be handled first.

Of the 5 factions, 3 of them are all-in-one infantry unit blobbing, fix that then fix the ST

You make a very good point and until demos don't wipe full squads I think st doing the same is fine. IMO they're pretty even since demos cost per use and have to be pre-set, and can get randomly blown up by a stray mortar shell, but they're a lot more available and don't cost a ton of manpower or fuel.
15 Aug 2017, 03:34 AM

So basically heavily damaging the entirety of a blob? Still would wipe infantry in cover, like sandbags or fences, which is what it's not supposed to do though, right? And also the AoE heals.

Combined with an increased sound signature i dont think it would be that bad, as a matter of fact i would argue that leig smoke + goliath is going to be even worse as its not going to cost any fuel. But in the end of the day there is no way at all to not make the sturmtiger nuke lone squads without making it an unreliable POS (oh hello there B4 howitzer)
Putting in these super heavy hitters is a mistake, but here they be. We just need to make them so using them on lone squads isnt an effecient use of them (i would even argue that using a ST on a single squad is more of a grudge move than a tactical move)
Tying it to tech is really going to help, but i mean 160fu for a fuck you to lone squads is exploitable, with the increased cost for not teching it would be down right treasonous
15 Aug 2017, 07:45 AM

agreed, although I'm not sure which factions you're referring to
15 Aug 2017, 08:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2017, 19:57 PMpigsoup
that is the problem with designs of sturmtiger, demos and goliath. they are not "blob counters" they "unit(s) wipers".

That doesnt apply to ostheer i guess?because every fucking pak howie and scott (and every other piece of indirect fire) is a wiper not a punisher..
16 Aug 2017, 14:46 PM
Admin Red  Badge

Cleaned up a series of off topic comments.
16 Aug 2017, 15:16 PM
Patrion 14

That doesnt apply to ostheer i guess?because every fucking pak howie and scott (and every other piece of indirect fire) is a wiper not a punisher..

dont you think there is a difference between lucky mortar wipe when squads exit a building or clump up versus likes of sturm tiger?
16 Aug 2017, 18:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2017, 15:16 PMpigsoup

dont you think there is a difference between lucky mortar wipe when squads exit a building or clump up versus likes of sturm tiger?

It effectly deletes valuable Vetted and upgraded squads over the course of a game. Sturmtiger is better for wiping squads obviously but comes later and is doctrinal, indirect fire wipes ostheer squads from pretty much early game to lategame.
16 Aug 2017, 22:57 PM

It effectly deletes valuable Vetted and upgraded squads over the course of a game. Sturmtiger is better for wiping squads obviously but comes later and is doctrinal, indirect fire wipes ostheer squads from pretty much early game to lategame.

It's not just ostheer that gets wiped by indirect fire. Happens to everybody with pretty much any indirect fire platform (mayyyybe not soviet mortar) if there's more than one and the squad is clumped. And let's not forget that ostheer has basically the best mortar.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS