Login

russian armor

An idea on emplacements.

1 Jun 2017, 08:52 AM

How about remove all Axis OP heavy tanks or OKW Kubel-SP-Volk cheese, then we can talk about removing emplacements.

Which OP heavy tanks are you talking about? KT is slow as f*ck, even though it was as fast as a Sherman IRL. The Tiger is ridiculously innacurate, as is the Panther(which is also useless against infantry and fires slowly for some reason, even though a Comet has neither of those problems). As Brits, just get a Firefly + 6-pounder and you are golden. Both counter heavies easily AND are much cheaper than them. End of story. I know it is not nice to lose a game sometimes, but hey, that is life.
1 Jun 2017, 08:59 AM

This will never happen but I think the Bofors would have been better as a support weapon. Like the land mattress, so it's mobile but more vulnerable....just a thought.

Although I know members of this thread seem to consider the LM akin to the coming of the anti-christ so whatever my dudes XD
1 Jun 2017, 09:21 AM

How about remove all Axis OP heavy tanks or OKW Kubel-SP-Volk cheese, then we can talk about removing emplacements.

Troll. U talk about 3 units....volks...sturmpios and a kubel. What was ur little army? 3 rifles? they would win easily aginst this.

u di u lost a squad cause of bad micro?

did u realize that if a OKW player manager to micro this 3 different unit swell, he have a little combine army? so he deserve it to own a bad player..

only 1MG and a squad can hold against this 3 unit easy.

what was ur problem, little boy?
1 Jun 2017, 10:19 AM

How about just lock the pits second mortar behind a garrisoned infintry squad?

Or reduce repair rate when braced?

Or let fire ignore brace?
1 Jun 2017, 10:21 AM

1 Jun 2017, 10:40 AM

So it seems like there's been a ton of hate on emplacements and simcities recently, and the problem with a lot of suggestions is that they are mostly just straight nerfs, without any reciprocating buffs/reworks. I want to offer an idea that I thought of that is 100% theoretical, may not even be balanced, and some parts of which may not even be doable. Having said that, my idea:

In my opinion, the role of emplacements should be support, not the keystone of your army. Along these lines of thinking, I have two proposals.

For the bofors, make it less lethal to infantry, maybe on the level of the usf flaktrack's autocannon (without the mgs for obvious reasons) or whatever is balanced, with about that much suppression as well. This would also come with a slight manpower decrease and (here's the part that may not be feasible) the ability to pack up or be packed up (logically by engineers) and repositioned, retaining veterancy and current health. This would have to be initiated (for like 4-5 seconds) out of combat, and then have a process that takes another ten seconds or so to complete were it is as vulnerable to enemy fire as when it is being constructed. If this was put in place, brace should be removed or severely nerfed ( decreased duration, effectiveness, and/or addition of muni cost) and make it unavailable while packing up. This would make it more of a supporting element of a more defensively oriented army that could still fight off flanks and help counter light vehicles, but leaving most of the work to the rest of the army.

For the pit, I think brits should get a normal old copypasta'd GrW mortar, but also have access to an "artillery pit" for say, 100-1140ish manpower that would extend the mortar's range to the same as the live mortar pit (or whatever is balanced) and give the mortar crew heavy cover on all sides and an RoF buff of like 25-50% since you are paying 380-420 for the whole thing. This would make the mortar pit less stupidly lethal, while still providing the option, as well as making it less vulnerable to counterfire and breakthroughs. This wouldn't have brace either, and is cheap enough to be somewhat expendable so doesn't need the ability to move like I proposed with the bofors.

Do you know why people only post straight nerfs to emplacements? Because they don´t want them in the game! They RUIN the game. Period. They have no place or reason to exist. Brits are perfectly capable of holding territory without them. If you just gave them a mortar, they would be fine, but "NOOOO, WE NEED MORE MONEEEEEEEEY! WE NEED TO MAKE THE BRITS NO-BRAINER AND OP, SO THE NOOBS GIVE US THEIR MONEEEEEEEY!" Like seriously, f*ck this game sometimes. It is a great game, but boy does it have some cheesy sh*t!! Just replace the Mortar Pit with a regular Mortar. PROBLEM SOLVED! You will be able to build Bofors and AT guns, but you will still be able to counter-barrage with your own mortar, in case they get attacked. And if you are careless with your mortar positioning, you will get raped, as you should. The mortar pit has no place in the game. Remove it, or nerf to the point of uselessness(and if this results in players ditching emplacements altogether, well, then we´ll all just celebrate and move on), there is nothing more to say about it.
1 Jun 2017, 14:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jun 2017, 10:40 AMmediev

Do you know why people only post straight nerfs to emplacements? Because they don´t want them in the game! They RUIN the game. Period. They have no place or reason to exist. Brits are perfectly capable of holding territory without them. If you just gave them a mortar, they would be fine, but "NOOOO, WE NEED MORE MONEEEEEEEEY! WE NEED TO MAKE THE BRITS NO-BRAINER AND OP, SO THE NOOBS GIVE US THEIR MONEEEEEEEY!" Like seriously, f*ck this game sometimes. It is a great game, but boy does it have some cheesy sh*t!! Just replace the Mortar Pit with a regular Mortar. PROBLEM SOLVED! You will be able to build Bofors and AT guns, but you will still be able to counter-barrage with your own mortar, in case they get attacked. And if you are careless with your mortar positioning, you will get raped, as you should. The mortar pit has no place in the game. Remove it, or nerf to the point of uselessness(and if this results in players ditching emplacements altogether, well, then we´ll all just celebrate and move on), there is nothing more to say about it.

I'd honestly be fine with that. Like I said, I don't ever play simcity and almost never make emplacements at all. However, they're never just gonna remove a unit once it's in the game (except soviet irregulars) and they're definitely not just going to up and remove the mortar pit.
1 Jun 2017, 14:30 PM

The problem with emplacements is the fact that one brit player is able to build multiple of these and some commanders even help them maintain these alive.
Removing emplacements isnt an option because they are kinda what defines the brit faction in the first place, if they were to be removed the brit faction wouldnt have a soul.

The best solution would be to:
First - Make an alternative unit for the emplacement. It only makes sense to give the player the choice to have a static and strong unit or a mobile and fragile one. This coule be achieved by putting in each tier one "upgrade choice" like there is for the aec/bofors.
For example, in tier 1 you could choose between a mobile 3 inch mortar or the mortar pit (that has two 3 inch mortars), in tier 2 you have the aec or bofors choice and in tier 3 you would have the 17 pounder or the firefly (choose between these two because they basically have the same gun and it is kinda op that one player alone can build multiple 17 pounders and multiple firefly's in one game).

Second - Allow each player to only build one emplacement of each type (one mortar pit, one bofors and one 17 pounder) unless they choose the advanced emplacement regiment commander. This would force players to build a proper army to contest the rest of the map instead of locking down one vp or the entire map with two mortar pits and bofors coupled with the stand fast ability from commanders, and this would fix the team games absurd amount of emplacements that can appear.

Third - Make brace stop the stand fast repair ability. Obvious explanation.

Fourth - Fix the damn bofors rate of fire, it is highly irrialistic and it's broken that one unit can wipe one garrisoned unit in milliseconds, just give it the rate of fire of the schwerer panzer headquarters which does a pretty decent job defending an area from infantry and light vehicles. The bofors should be the middle ground between an hmg and a at gun.

Just like that the emplacements would be a functioning feature of this game adding diversity to it instead of being a cancerous mechanic that most people hate and wants to get rid of.
1 Jun 2017, 17:42 PM

Or reduce repair rate when braced?

Or let fire ignore brace?

No, because those would work and bring balance to the force.

And most importantly because the powers at be didn't come up with those ideas themselves.
1 Jun 2017, 20:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jun 2017, 08:59 AMGrim
This will never happen but I think the Bofors would have been better as a support weapon. Like the land mattress, so it's mobile but more vulnerable....just a thought.

This definitely would have been better, but the animations to move the Bofors (and 17, if you wanted to go that way) just don't exist, unfortunately.
1 Jun 2017, 20:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jun 2017, 08:52 AMmediev

Which OP heavy tanks are you talking about? KT is slow as f*ck, even though it was as fast as a Sherman IRL. The Tiger is ridiculously innacurate, as is the Panther(which is also useless against infantry and fires slowly for some reason, even though a Comet has neither of those problems). As Brits, just get a Firefly + 6-pounder and you are golden. Both counter heavies easily AND are much cheaper than them. End of story. I know it is not nice to lose a game sometimes, but hey, that is life.

There's a weak Axis call-in Heavy tanks? And Panther is weak? Ok...

Are emplacements tough and a pain? Sure, but they're static and easily counter-able with Axis' own arty units. Just because they're hard to kill, Axis players whine. My point is the griping about early-mid game Brit emplacements vs both Axis early game and late game similarly ridiculous units that no one addresses. Axis, for whatever reason, seems to have a louder voice on OP-ness, but people ignore the elephant in the room.

Last I checked Axis was still sporting a winning margin of +10% or higher in team games across the board. And we're still concerned about a mortar pit? <444>_<444>

Troll. U talk about 3 units....volks...sturmpios and a kubel. What was ur little army? 3 rifles? they would win easily aginst this.

u di u lost a squad cause of bad micro?

did u realize that if a OKW player manager to micro this 3 different unit swell, he have a little combine army? so he deserve it to own a bad player..

only 1MG and a squad can hold against this 3 unit easy.

what was ur problem, little boy?

Oh, jeez, a prepubescent Axis fanboy troll. Let me know when your nutz drop so I can talk to a man.
nee
1 Jun 2017, 21:26 PM

Maybe add a salvage option to emplacements? Terrans in Starcraft 2 can do this with turrets and bunkers (in some game modes, anyways). Recoup only a percentage of cost, and maybe also relative to current health? ie you only get like 5% back if it's about to die, whereas full health it will give back like 50-70%

Veterancy can be ignored so you will be incentivized to place them strategically and not constantly salvage.

This might require something like a cap for emplacements, so that you don't leapfrog them over the length of a map. Which of coures makes the idea more complicated.
1 Jun 2017, 21:54 PM

There is no axis faction and there is no allied faction. There are five factions from three iterations of release that are so different from each other they could be from separate games.

Yet people constantly rant about how allies or axis as a whole are imbalanced or how players are biased towards allies or axis. Define your terms people. OKW is nothing at all like Ostheer. Playing soviets is nothing like brits.

If you're talking about teams, still the faction makeup of those allied or axis teams means far more than the fact that they're allied or axis factions.
2 Jun 2017, 01:50 AM

There's a weak Axis call-in Heavy tanks? And Panther is weak? Ok...

Are emplacements tough and a pain? Sure, but they're static and easily counter-able with Axis' own arty units. Just because they're hard to kill, Axis players whine. My point is the griping about early-mid game Brit emplacements vs both Axis early game and late game similarly ridiculous units that no one addresses. Axis, for whatever reason, seems to have a louder voice on OP-ness, but people ignore the elephant in the room.

Last I checked Axis was still sporting a winning margin of +10% or higher in team games across the board. And we're still concerned about a mortar pit? <444>_<444>

Oh, jeez, a prepubescent Axis fanboy troll. Let me know when your nutz drop so I can talk to a man.

All the heavies are manageable, if you have any skill whatsoever. Most can be forced back by a single SU-85 or a Firefly. If the TDs are supported by a snare squad, they can take it out no problem. The Allied infantry mostly just outclasses the Axis(especially Riflemen and Tommies), unless they make a full blob of Obers, but then, you can smash it with armor anyway.

Overall, Wehrmacht is the most balanced faction in the game. They have high-micro/high-reward infantry and overall, you get rewarded for your skill. With Allies in general, you need far less skill to achieve the same things, especially with Western factions(like if you run into the arch of an MG with Rifles and the enemy thinks "ahah, I predicted your move, I got you now!", you can just go like "f*ck you, I have my smoke").

I think it is mostly just a matter of Allies not using their abilities most of the time. I mean, most USF players only recently started using smoke, because up until now, there was no need for it whatsoever, you could just plow your way through with sheer brute force. Another reason is that in the super-late game, the Axis does become better, and in team games, you are generally more likely to have a longer game, so there is that.
2 Jun 2017, 19:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jun 2017, 01:50 AMmediev

All the heavies are manageable, if you have any skill whatsoever. Most can be forced back by a single SU-85 or a Firefly. If the TDs are supported by a snare squad, they can take it out no problem. The Allied infantry mostly just outclasses the Axis(especially Riflemen and Tommies), unless they make a full blob of Obers, but then, you can smash it with armor anyway.

Overall, Wehrmacht is the most balanced faction in the game. They have high-micro/high-reward infantry and overall, you get rewarded for your skill. With Allies in general, you need far less skill to achieve the same things, especially with Western factions(like if you run into the arch of an MG with Rifles and the enemy thinks "ahah, I predicted your move, I got you now!", you can just go like "f*ck you, I have my smoke").

I think it is mostly just a matter of Allies not using their abilities most of the time. I mean, most USF players only recently started using smoke, because up until now, there was no need for it whatsoever, you could just plow your way through with sheer brute force. Another reason is that in the super-late game, the Axis does become better, and in team games, you are generally more likely to have a longer game, so there is that.

Forced back by a single TD? Ha, that's funny. It's just not true. Snaring a heavy should also never happen either, as heavies on both sides have decently long range and infantry can't usually make it that close. Allied infantry slightly outclasses axis infantry, but take a lot more resources to maintain and upgrade, and are called upon at a much higher level due to having to be very aggressive and usually have less support options. Axis tanks are also much better than most allied tanks, t34/85 and to some degree the comet being the only exceptions, so allied infantry should be better anyway. Your problem with rifle smoke is easily solvable by having another squad around to rush in while they are still suppressed. If a rifle squad gets suppressed in the first place, then they already fucked up hard because you can literally beat them with pios early game, and any other squad later on, since suppressed squads really can't fight. Or you could just relocate the mg while they're crawling around suppressed. I do agree with you about ostheer being the most balanced faction on the whole though. Running over mgs with brute force after about 10 minutes is definitely still a thing for pretty much every faction if they are alone though.
3 Jun 2017, 15:03 PM

Forced back by a single TD? Ha, that's funny. It's just not true. Snaring a heavy should also never happen either, as heavies on both sides have decently long range and infantry can't usually make it that close. Allied infantry slightly outclasses axis infantry, but take a lot more resources to maintain and upgrade, and are called upon at a much higher level due to having to be very aggressive and usually have less support options. Axis tanks are also much better than most allied tanks, t34/85 and to some degree the comet being the only exceptions, so allied infantry should be better anyway. Your problem with rifle smoke is easily solvable by having another squad around to rush in while they are still suppressed. If a rifle squad gets suppressed in the first place, then they already fucked up hard because you can literally beat them with pios early game, and any other squad later on, since suppressed squads really can't fight. Or you could just relocate the mg while they're crawling around suppressed. I do agree with you about ostheer being the most balanced faction on the whole though. Running over mgs with brute force after about 10 minutes is definitely still a thing for pretty much every faction if they are alone though.

Haven´t you watched any high-end games recently? I hardly remember a time when there was more than SU-85/Firefly needed to handle a Tiger/KT. You can just kite it pretty easily if you have the micro. Mostly, when players call in a Tiger/KT, they just keep it back, because they are scared it will get sniped.

As for the Axis tanks being better, what exactly do you have in mind? Sherman/Cromwell/PanzerIV are roughly the same, only the P4 costs more and has worse moving accuracy. Centaur is clearly superior to the Ostwind, especially after vet 1. The ONLY really good(when you consider what you get for your money) Ostheer armor is the StuG III G. The whole tier 4 for the Ostheer is a waste of time, unless you play a big team game.

As for OKW, their tanks are better, but come a lot later usually. By the time you can get a Panzer IV out with OKW, the enemy likely has a counter already, so you usually have to get a Panther anyway. I think that this whole "Axis has better tanks" bullsh*t is a relic from the times when the Soviet armor was useless and the WFA weren´t introduced yet. I think it is high time to stop saying it IMO. Basic Allied armor is VERY GOOD, it is just that nobody bothered to use it since they introduced commanders like Heavy Cavalry.

"Should never happen"?????!!!! Yeah, but this is reality(of a game of course), not a driving manual. It just happens because the heavies are desperate to catch out the kiting TDs and they get trapped. All Allied TDs in general have received significant buffs over the years, while the heavies have stayed the same(especially the Tiger). They can now reliably and cost-effectively take on even the heaviest Axis armor.

As for infantry, the Allies clearly outclass the Axis, especially Ostheer gets raped hard. The reinforcement costs are higher for the Axis. The durability is much higher for the Allies, especially Riflemen, with their "light cover in the open" RA vet bonuses. The Tommies with upgrades are RIDICULOUS! Even Penals are very good. They can manage much longer with no upgrades, so it is OK that the upgrades cost more in the end.
8 Jun 2017, 15:04 PM

just remove f BRACE ability, why we have it ? they build 3 mortar pit and easy win
8 Jun 2017, 15:36 PM

just remove f BRACE ability, why we have it ? they build 3 mortar pit and easy win

Thats the biggest problem, only if they could only build one emplacement of each type (axis can only build one tiger ace or one kt or one jt and no one minds that) like I have been saying... And they also need an option instead of the mortar pit (a regular mobile 3 inch mortar, like they can choose between the bofors and the aec.

I dont mind brace and the fact that emplacements are op, the problem is that if the brit player goes for emplacements they usualy go for multiple mortar pits and bofors...
8 Jun 2017, 16:25 PM

lol you lose to 3 mortar pits? You realize they must have like no army right?
8 Jun 2017, 18:42 PM

lol you lose to 3 mortar pits? You realize they must have like no army right?

big problem is when our team is only okw, they lock fuel points with mortar pits, in this situation we cant attack with inf and also we cant get tanks (we dont have enough fuel), so we build 105mm howitzer and leig but they use BRACE ability + fast repair and then ...

do you know a good strategy ?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS