Login

russian armor

How do you counter dual Soviet Sniper in 2vs2 since WBP

20 May 2017, 18:21 PM

It seems the strat is getting more and more practitioners so it is time to share your tips.
The BO I see is usually
Engi start
x1 Penal
x2 Snipers
xX penals
Then T2 +Zis if the guys want to play safe, otherwise T3

As Ostheer I feel helpless vs it, you're never in position to kill it unless he does a big mistake. The 222 is annoying the most, Penal+Satchel+PTRS make a wall you cannot break early game. 4men squads make it impossible to rush them, let's add that you can't use your LMG on the move making chasing snipers completely useless. The only solution is the G43 but it locks you on certain doctrines.
As OKW, the answer is probably to rush Luch but I haven't see it successful.

The good point is that usually you get the fuel vs it early game so you can tech light faster but you can't hold your line without heavy bleed once the guys has his 2 snipers and 3 Penals between you and them.
I had a game just now, the OKW guy just dived 2 luchs vet3 into the dual sniper and killed one, replaced a minutes later. I mean the OKW guys was lucky to not find a mine on his path and some lucky miss from my ATgun on his retreat path. (I wasn't playing Axe this game)
The game was like any other when this strat is used, as Axis you get a big part of the map early on but them suddenly start bleeding, your HMG can't do shit anymore, your only hope is a lucky mortar shot...

This situation is clearly new and the result of the last patch, imo Penal + AT stuff is the root cause. This strat probably works in 4vs4 as well but I have stopped playing this mode since the patch so I can't tell.
20 May 2017, 18:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2017, 18:21 PMEsxile
It seems the strat is getting more and more practitioners so it is time to share your tips.
The BO I see is usually
Engi start
x1 Penal
x2 Snipers
xX penals

As Ostheer I feel helpless vs it, you're never in position to kill it unless he does a big mistake. The 222 is annoying the most, Penal+Satchel+PTRS make a wall you cannot break early game. 4men squads make it impossible to rush them, let's add that you can't use your LMG on the move making chasing snipers completely useless. The only solution is the G43 but it locks you on certain doctrines.

The good point is that usually you get the fuel vs it early game so you can tech light faster but you can't hold your line without heavy bleed once the guys has his 2 snipers and 3 Penals between you and them.
I had a game just now, the OKW guy just dived 2 luchs vet3 into the dual sniper and killed one, replaced a minutes later. I mean the OKW guys was lucky to not find a mine on his path and some lucky miss from my ATgun on his retreat path. (I wasn't playing Axe this game)
The game was like any other when this strat is used, as Axis you get a big part of the map early on but them suddenly start bleeding, your HMG can't do shit anymore, your only hope is a lucky mortar shot...

This situation is clearly new and the result of the last patch, imo Penal + AT stuff is the root cause. This strat probably works in 4vs4 as well but I have stopped playing this mode since the patch so I can't tell.

The 222 has to aproach from the rear so it either avoids the penals or kills the sniper before they throw their satchel, at the same time send double grenadiers from the front to get the crossfire
+the satchel has a short range so try to avoid it (and if you already get hit dont forget to drive into them to get extra kills)
20 May 2017, 20:44 PM

A wide flank with the .222.

Motors/MHT

Don't play OH

Build a counter sniper

Yea it's an annoying strat to play against but I think it's an honest strategy with no cheese.
20 May 2017, 21:15 PM

Build a counter sniper

So... How does this help against soviet sniper? technically you could shoot one model and pray it does not hit you when you retreat... Against dual Soviet sniper its just good bye 360mp...

---

I have to say am starting to love playing penal+sniper play with russians... only thing i found most hurting is (not counting some terrible mistake) is really really really lucky mortar shots...

OST cant even bum rush it efficiently like OKW...
20 May 2017, 22:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2017, 21:15 PMJespe

So... How does this help against soviet sniper? technically you could shoot one model and pray it does not hit you when you retreat... Against dual Soviet sniper its just good bye 360mp...

If you keep the Ost Sniper alive until Vet1, it can use its normal shot + vet1 to doubletap the Soviet sniper team.

Adamircz's advice is spot on, push with Grens and flank with the 222. There's a good chance to pick up the sniper and probably do a good chunk of MP bleed to the Penals in the process.
20 May 2017, 22:57 PM

Motors/MHT

Don't play OH

Build a counter sniper

Yea it's an annoying strat to play against but I think it's an honest strategy with no cheese.

Snipers are never really gonna be cheesy given how they work.

@OP play some matches as usf if you think it's hard to deal with soviet snipers as OH :p However, 2 snipers means probably not that much infantry for the soviet for a while, so make sure to take advantage of that and maybe just run around capping till you get a 222 out and proceed with a wide flank. It's pretty hard to hit with satchels as long as you stay moving and don't just rush straight into their lines.
aaa
20 May 2017, 23:04 PM

countersnipe.
Soviet sniper is dead unit since 2015
20 May 2017, 23:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2017, 23:04 PMaaa
countersnipe.

Not gonna work until you can double tap with vet1, which is hard to obtain with two snipers waiting around to shoot it. If you can knock one model off at max range then retreat maybe, but still, if he's smart he'll hold one at medium range in camo to counter-counter-snipe :p
20 May 2017, 23:28 PM

If you keep the Ost Sniper alive until Vet1, it can use its normal shot + vet1 to doubletap the Soviet sniper team.

Well thats the freaking problem... Ost sniper was bad idea agains Soviet even before it got nerfed... Its even more taxing to micro and keep it alive, it gets badder as there is Soviet-scout sniper shooting at you, that god-forsaken 120mm mortar if not blasting you then flaring you out of cover... And of Yeah there might even be that intercource with those double penals or more that can one volley kill that poor sniper...

Adamircz's advice is spot on, push with Grens and flank with the 222. There's a good chance to pick up the sniper and probably do a good chunk of MP bleed to the Penals in the process.

I just had OST who used that strat against me with Counter-Sniper, 222 flanking, double engis flanking, triple Grens pushing trying and even MG42 trying to make movement hard... Well got some easy demo kills, one and one captured MG42...

My conclusion on the new Penal+Scoutsniper BS is that russian sniper should lose it second model and make it in bar with ost and UKF snipers...
20 May 2017, 23:29 PM
Donator 11

Mind that you don't always have to double tap. If sniper models are close together then the vet1 ability will kill both.

Another thing to mention is that soviet sniper model has 64 hp, so the whole team can be wiped by a mortar at full health, even if they are not that close to each other. If you don't need perfect precision and control like in case of countersnipe or flank, you will sooner or later wipe all soviet snipers with mortar.

Also, if you find it hard to locate the snipers before going in with your units and especially your own sniper, remember that all recon abilities reveal camouflaged units.
21 May 2017, 00:43 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Also, if you find it hard to locate the snipers before going in with your units and especially your own sniper, remember that all recon abilities reveal camouflaged units.

Wasn't Ostheers recon abilities bugged and could not reveal stealth or was that fixed?
21 May 2017, 01:00 AM

Wasn't Ostheers recon abilities bugged and could not reveal stealth or was that fixed?

I believe that was fixed. I remember recon flights always revealing my commandos and snipers as brits.
21 May 2017, 01:06 AM

You can use my strat..uninstall stupid game. Wait for COH3.
21 May 2017, 01:56 AM

You can use my strat..uninstall stupid game. Wait for COH3.

Have fun with that cuz it gets hardcountered by sega and DoW3 XD
21 May 2017, 02:08 AM

Well, you could go for Stormtroopers and spawn them in a nearby house (same goes for OKW's Fallis or Jägers), but then again - this locks you into a doctrine, but having elite armour in your load-out might help you on certain maps.
21 May 2017, 04:35 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 May 2017, 02:08 AMGarrett
Well, you could go for Stormtroopers and spawn them in a nearby house (same goes for OKW's Fallis or Jägers), but then again - this locks you into a doctrine, but having elite armour in your load-out might help you on certain maps.

Stormtroopers are in pretty decent doctrines though. In fact, I find the stormtroopers themselves to be the least appealing part of most of their doctrines except for the infiltration cheese value in situations like this. Can they actually finish off snipers on retreat realistically though? Because they come with Kar98s right?
21 May 2017, 10:04 AM

Motors/MHT

Don't play OH

Build a counter sniper

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2017, 23:04 PMaaa
countersnipe.

I really need to understand how you can counter snipe 2 snipers. I mean you can probably kill one but then you lose your own sniper.

It is much more annoying to play OST vs Sniper than USF vs sniper. as USF you can smoke and rush, as Ostheer not really.

I have to repeat myself but the problem is not the dual snipers, the problem is the Penals+sticky satchel and PTRS that keep your 222 at bay.
21 May 2017, 10:09 AM

You have to pick a sniper off. Then soft retreat or even hard retreat instantly. Using range as your advantage. Build 2 motars. In which those help cause MP bleed overall.

Hard retreating before the snipers have a chance to shoot is MP saved plus time on field his snipers are wasting.

If you predict an double sniper start. Retreating units and rushing a 222 is best.

Shit you can even go double sniper. Just make sure you have a gren squad to keep a sc at bay.
21 May 2017, 11:52 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2017, 18:21 PMEsxile
The BO I see is usually
Engi start
x1 Penal
x2 Snipers
xX penals

I've never faced 2x sniper strat playing as axis, but I'm not affraid of it, i'll tell you my thoughts:

Russian early capping power will be so low, you have to take profit of that (1 mg, 3 grens), you need an OKW mate which have to build kubel (for capping while you all push) 3 volks + inicial sturm . With that build you can push a lot.
In case of narrowed areas, you can build a couple bunkers so the snipers have no chance to go there,(mind for penals flank that you have to prevent) that will delay you T2 but ask your mate to build raketten to deffend mid vehicles.
Afther 7-10 minutes of push (you may get more losses than kills, but you will have ammo and fuel) you can go t3 to p4 and after that, stay in a deffensive role.
21 May 2017, 13:04 PM

Stormtroopers are in pretty decent doctrines though. In fact, I find the stormtroopers themselves to be the least appealing part of most of their doctrines except for the infiltration cheese value in situations like this. Can they actually finish off snipers on retreat realistically though? Because they come with Kar98s right?

Well, the Kessel doctrine is mostly a Troll doctrine, but Elite Armour is still pretty good because of the stun grenades. Well, snipers are pretty fragile, so if you spawn them behind enemy lines you should be able to kill snipers. However, if your enemy reacts fast and retreats instantly, I am not so sure how the chances are. Those units are also not very cheap, for example trading a 440mp Falli squad for a 360mp sniper squad is not the optimal solution...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★