Login

russian armor

An idea for paths.

20 May 2017, 01:26 AM

This will probably never be implemented, and may not even be balanced. I just thought of it the other day, and I decided to post it. Shoot it down by all means for whatever reason, I would like to discuss it.

What if paths (either the normal ones, I and R, or both) were changed to basically a soviet sniper team with the same utilities as they have now (beacon, arty in the case of I and R).

Reasons I suggest this:

1. USF would then have a better, more interesting (IMO) building counter and ostheer sniper counter.

2. It would give airborne a more interesting flavor, and a way to cut the insane bleed/manpower shortage that comes with using it.

3. Paths IRL are a two man team (not that realism really matters in Coh2 XD but worth mentioning)

4. It seems like there's currently not a lot of incentive to use pathfinders or airborne/recon support company in general right now. I like airborne, but I rarely see it, and recon support is just horribly thought out.

5. It'd be cool.
20 May 2017, 01:34 AM

I'd rather the unit stays as it performs with some small cost decreases for call-in and reinforcing, Pathfinders are mostly fine and so are Paratroopers, it's the other 3 abilities that need some work to make the Commander more atractive.
20 May 2017, 01:57 AM

I'd rather the unit stays as it performs with some small cost decreases for call-in and reinforcing, Pathfinders are mostly fine and so are Paratroopers, it's the other 3 abilities that need some work to make the Commander more atractive.

Yeah. This was more of just a conceptual idea thread for taking paths in a different direction tho. If we're just talking balance, then basically what you said, especially p47s. However, I just wanted to add an idea about giving paths a more unique flare.
20 May 2017, 02:33 AM

people don't use them right, at vet 1 they give huge sight, on maps open maps where your opponent goes too defensive you can see his defenses + paths have camo so you can keep spotting with no problem.

IMO the only thing that can be changed is putting beacons on RETs since if you want to drop something on the field you HAVE to call pathfinders.
20 May 2017, 03:03 AM

I doubt pathfinders will make it into a balance patch anytime soon, but there are a couple things that could be done to make them much more interesting.

1) lower population to 1 per model, plus maybe 1/squad, decrease reinforce to 28-30
2) allow both types to lay mines
3) give IR pathfinders an aimed shot that costs 35 munitions
4) decrease weapon slots to 1 (rip barfinders, but they would be much too efficient with double bars)
5) possibly allow them to booby trap strategic points
6) possibly allow IR pathfinders to be infiltration units
7) possibly allow both types of pathfinders to upgrade to a single 1919 instead of bars

Recon support needs other work as well, Greyhound is lousy for the cost, and airdropped combat group is a joke. P47 also needs work.
20 May 2017, 03:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2017, 03:03 AMGrumpy
I doubt pathfinders will make it into a balance patch anytime soon, but there are a couple things that could be done to make them much more interesting.

1) lower population to 1 per model, plus maybe 1/squad, decrease reinforce to 28-30
2) allow both types to lay mines
3) give IR pathfinders an aimed shot that costs 35 munitions
4) decrease weapon slots to 1 (rip barfinders, but they would be much too efficient with double bars)
5) possibly allow them to booby trap strategic points
6) possibly allow IR pathfinders to be infiltration units
7) possibly allow both types of pathfinders to upgrade to a single 1919 instead of bars

Recon support needs other work as well, Greyhound is lousy for the cost, and airdropped combat group is a joke. P47 also needs work.

I like those ideas. I'm fine with the direction the thread is going, but did anyone read the OP?
20 May 2017, 03:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2017, 02:33 AMzerocoh
people don't use them right, at vet 1 they give huge sight, on maps open maps where your opponent goes too defensive you can see his defenses + paths have camo so you can keep spotting with no problem.

IMO the only thing that can be changed is putting beacons on RETs since if you want to drop something on the field you HAVE to call pathfinders.

The only reasons I make em. Crewing .50s with them is pretty good use as well, as they self spot and are tougher than default weapon crews. I think their carbines are superior to garands as well.
20 May 2017, 03:44 AM

LMG on pathfinders is just bonkers, the unit is already pretty good on it's own, it would become some sort of obers on amphetamine.
20 May 2017, 03:48 AM

I like those ideas. I'm fine with the direction the thread is going, but did anyone read the OP?

I read it, but don't agree with a 4-man sniper squad. There is already another elite infantry in airborne (paras) so any other squad should be a support unit. The rest of the post I mostly agree with.
20 May 2017, 04:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2017, 03:48 AMGrumpy

I read it, but don't agree with a 4-man sniper squad. There is already another elite infantry in airborne (paras) so any other squad should be a support unit. The rest of the post I mostly agree with.

I suggested reducing squad size to two. I may have been kinda unclear but that's what I meant by making it like a soviet sniper squad. Shoulda specified numbers; 4 man snipers would be bonkers lol.
20 May 2017, 04:58 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Best way to fix them would be to simply lower their reinforce so it's not a ridiculous 37mp. Maybe give them an extended range snipe shot with vet that deals 40 damage and if you're below 50%, it crits and abilities on the beacons if we want to be super fancy and add crazy stuff while keeping in line with the unit.

IR Pathfinders need to get shared XP given their squishiness, mediocre firepower and their vet needs to boost their abilities.
20 May 2017, 05:07 AM

Best way to fix them would be to simply lower their reinforce so it's not a ridiculous 37mp. Maybe give them an extended range snipe shot with vet that deals 40 damage and if you're below 50%, it crits and abilities on the beacons if we want to be super fancy and add crazy stuff while keeping in line with the unit.

IR Pathfinders need to get shared XP given their squishiness, mediocre firepower and their vet needs to boost their abilities.

I'd be down. They're in such lackluster doctrines that it'd be cool if they got more abilities.

It'd also be nice if beacons were smaller and more hideable, more like the radio triangulation devices in the coh1 brits' commando regiment, as right now it's really hard to put them anywhere but in the open, and just extend the range of influence over paradrops so they don't have to get dropped right on top of the beacon (I'm talking about the initial paradrops, not reinforcing paras from the beacon, as that radius is fine).
20 May 2017, 05:42 AM

Why do Pathies go for 37 MP anyway? It's so overpriced, like the LT/Captain 50 mp model.
20 May 2017, 05:44 AM

Why do Pathies go for 37 MP anyway? It's so overpriced, like the LT/Captain 50 mp model.

Because fuck usf. I have absolutely no idea, but reinforcing four guys (after crewing a weapon) is absolute murder in the midgame.
20 May 2017, 06:25 AM

I want to use paths, but their timing and reinforce cost makes them impossible to call in because F R E E S Q U A D S. At 3 CP, when I can callin Paras to replace dead Rifles my army is already extremely bloated with infantry. Like typically the amount of infantry in USF/OKW is nearly double of that of OST and UKF, maybe Sovs who don't go Penal/Con spam(but who does that?).

Make them CP0, reduce reinforce cost and add Sniper ability for 45 muni. Done and fixed.
20 May 2017, 09:21 AM

For the same reason AssEng cost 35MP to reinforce. It's the cost of the unit divided by 4.

Some time ago Relic realised that 4-man squads shouldn't be so heavily penalised with respect to reinforcement per model. Thus, most elite 4-man squads received a -20% reinforcement cost reduction (e.g., PGrens).

Unfortunately the same gesture was not extended to some of the weaker squads, and they fell out of meta.
20 May 2017, 09:28 AM

The real problem of USF infantry is that Riflemen are way too effective leaving little room for other units.

Pathfinder should have their reinforcement time cut down but that should apply to other units also. Reinforcement time should be dissociated from cost and be associated to unit type (engineer type, support weapon, mainline infantry, elite).

I am not sure about a price discount but if they get one it should be small. They are long range cloaked recon infantry that has little place in the middle of firefight.
20 May 2017, 14:17 PM

The 2pop/model is also a problem. If you recrew anything with regular pathfinders, you add 8 pop in addition to the weapon. A HMG recrewed by pathfinders is around 10 pop cap, same with ATG. The additional upkeep costs enough to buy an extra rifle squad over the course of a game (4extra pop * 1.5*number_of_minutes), in addition to the fact that you end up with less pop cap to do things.
20 May 2017, 14:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2017, 09:28 AMVipper
The real problem of USF infantry is that Riflemen are way too effective leaving little room for other units.

Pathfinder should have their reinforcement time cut down but that should apply to other units also. Reinforcement time should be dissociated from cost and be associated to unit type (engineer type, support weapon, mainline infantry, elite).

I am not sure about a price discount but if they get one it should be small. They are long range cloaked recon infantry that has little place in the middle of firefight.

I agree, but it's more like riflemen are way too forced. You need at least three rifles to have sufficient clout early game and then you get another damn free squad of basically riflemen when you tech, so calling in paths is usually asking to be bled to death for lack of support teams and just general lack of manpower. I wish it wasn't this way, but that's how it is.
20 May 2017, 19:05 PM

For the same reason AssEng cost 35MP to reinforce. It's the cost of the unit divided by 4.

Some time ago Relic realised that 4-man squads shouldn't be so heavily penalised with respect to reinforcement per model. Thus, most elite 4-man squads received a -20% reinforcement cost reduction (e.g., PGrens).

Unfortunately the same gesture was not extended to some of the weaker squads, and they fell out of meta.

With how cost effective Volks are currently, this kind of stuff is almost criminal, I can only hope if we ever get another patch Scope extends to Infanty squads that need love, like Pathies and Conscripts.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★