Login

russian armor

Satchel charges stick to infantry!

22 May 2017, 00:11 AM

Whoa whoa whoa mate where did that come from?

When you put an effort into signing up to a forum just to point out a bug and then to be told to fix it yourself, you would be stupid not to call out someone on their BS response ;) Especially when it turns out they are the people behind and can fix the bug.

I am a 3D artist by trade, if my 3D model is S*** and the normals are somehow busted when someone is rendering it, I don't go "You fix it mate".

MR Smith,

If you know your way around the code/scripts, is there anything that triggers the satchel to latch onto the vehicle? and is it possible that when there is a "new" enemy unit movement in the bounding box of the sticky satchel (i.e units leaving the half track) the satchel latches onto them instead?

What I am suggesting is what is known in Unreal as "Do Once" so that it never latches to anything after it has done so on a vehicle.
Or

Make it so that once stuck to a vehicle, the sticky range afterwards becomes 0. that way it will never be in range to latch on ever again.

Or

Make it so that it will not latch on again after 5 seconds. That way it will blow up before it can latch again.

Or

If Coh2 uses entity types (i.e Vehicles are Category 1, Infantry Category 2, Buildings Category 3 etc) Make the Satchel only stick to Vehicles.

Or

If units in a vehicle are at 0,0,0 local translation, perhaps make the satchel latch on to 0.1,0.1,0.1 so it is not overlapping with the units, possibly not triggering a second "stick" command.

Or

ALL of the above at once to all AT Snares.

these have GOT to work. Especially that you are telling the satchel what to do for it's entire life rather than "If in range, latch on, blow in 4 seconds" leaving so many open variables that can cause unintended results.

22 May 2017, 00:19 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2017, 00:11 AMLavanti

snip

Problem with most, if not all, of these is that it is not the level ballance team is working on. They have the access to mod tools, not engine source code. That is why Mr.Smith told you that you can provide a fix - becouse all the tools he has, the mod builder, are also at your disposal. Theorycrafting without seeing it from mod tools perspective isn't going to change much.

Also mind that the ballance team is not getting payed for their work on improving the game.
22 May 2017, 00:24 AM

Problem with most, if not all, of these is that it is not the level ballance team is working on. They have the access to mod tools, not engine source code. That is why Mr.Smith told you that you can provide a fix - becouse all the tools he has, the mod builder, are also at your disposal. Theorycrafting without seeing it from mod tools perspective isn't going to change much.

I gotta say I find it awesome that people from the community are actually constantly working on the game. of course Theorycrafting isn't great, but if people with the tools can do something about it, great, if not, oh well worth a shot.

I have no clue what it takes, I have modded once before in COH1 for about a week and forgot everything. I would still like to see what MR Smith has to say about my suggestions. I am sure if he can code a satchel sticking onto a vehicle, he can set some parameters in there.
22 May 2017, 01:20 AM

Feel free to provide a fix, if you think it's easy to do. All AT snares suffer from the same bug.

So to understand this correctly after having read this thread.
- you are one of the people that works on patches
- you admit there is bug
- you provide no info on resolving the bug
- you give a shit-fuck smartarse answer to a random guy who brought the bug forward
- are you implying you are not competent at fixing the logic issue?

terrific, 10/10 community leader reply

Then ferwiner mentions that there's not much to work with other than mod tools and that the patchers aren't paid to improve the game. Considering that these patches get pushed out without choice to every player who owns the game and the result is penals wiping entire squads who disembark a vehicle by sticking to infantry it seems that its a pretty big friggin problem.

- not having the right tools is not an excuse as using the same mod tools this bug was caused by
- i wouldn't call breaking something then telling someone to fix it themselves 'improving' the game, especially when they have no choice and are forced to download the patch

i understand and appreciate the fact that people dedicate their time and effort to improving the game and for the most part this is true and good, but there is no need to blatantly give a dickish reply to someone who didn't even know these patches are maintained by community members. I mean, its not like he said FIX THE BUG WHERE OKW UNITS GET STUCK PERMANENTLY ON THEIR OWN BUILDINGS BECAUSE THE GAME ALLOWS BUILDINGS TO BE SET UP IN SUCH A WAY THAT ALLOWS UNITS TO BE STUCK, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE UNIT IS TRAINED FROM THAT PARTICULAR BUILDING AND IT EXITS TO GET ITSELF STUCK.
22 May 2017, 02:07 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2017, 01:20 AMlaughs

Le snip

Not having the correct tools for the job is a perfectly legitimate excuse. Also, Mr. Smith is not a Relic employee and does not have a lot of power deciding what needs to be patched. While the balance team did create a bug, the scenario in which it happens in is relatively rare (who often lets their fast moving transport get satcheled anyway?) and was only discovered relatively recently. You simply can't expect him and the mod team to fix something "easy" if they are no longer allowed to touch it AND they don't have the tools to do it in the first place. I feel like it should also be noted that the means to create does not necessarily mean a means to fix, only perhaps a means to undo.

As for the attitude, how would you feel if someone with no idea on what your tools are, what your tools are capable of, and whether or not you're allowed to fix certain bugs (big daddy Relic) tells you that this is an easy fix? You must be a saint to not be at least slightly irritated after some passerby (intentionally or not) downplayed your efforts without first getting the full picture. The mod team has many other things to focus on, and a newly discovered bug is not necessarily be of the utmost importance, and neither should forum politeness, since your priorities lie elsewhere than pleasing every forum poster. If anything, your post attacking him was far more offensive than his passive aggressive comment. Finally, it should be pointed out that all arguments were resolved, and your angsty accusations are just as uncalled for if not more than Mr. Smith's single comment.
22 May 2017, 03:33 AM

who gets their fast transports satchel'd? its a homing grenade.
Penal spam and satchels are so easy to hit on anything as the vehicle sits there doing donuts on the spot trying to get out because the movement and pathing is screwed up for most vehicles and always has been since day one without fixes. don't you dare tell me vehicles don't sit there spinning around like meat spin in the worst of times.

right, the tool can implement a change but cant fix the change? cool, perhaps it should have been tested before being pushed out to the live environment? before deciding to give penals a brand new ability they never had? the bug was discovered "recently"? I was witnessing this the first day after the patch was released as im sure many others have too, its not that far fetched of a scenario.

now, if you tell me once its deployed you cant touch the patch again and its on relic then fair enough. the proper answer is "yeah its fucked up, but sadly we cant change it until the next major update".

as for me attacking mr smith, i didn't. i merely pointed out that it was a piece of shit answer from someone who should be a better example for the community given his position and who is potentially responsible for the bug which never existed before. the audacity to screw something up, even if as a team and then tell someone else to fix it when they point it out is incomprehensible and unnecessary.

i'm sure we all just want a more balanced and fun game, no need to start being dicks when a flaw was pointed out. no one was even blamed for anything when the bug was pointed out.

So what can be done about resolving the bug? what is the patch deployment process? patch is developed, sent to relic (sega) and then they upload it to live? after that relic just looks away until another major patch is to be released? is there set dates that relic allows patches to be uploaded? who compiles the patch code and sends it to relic?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★