Login

russian armor

Soooo... Stuart or M15? Or neither?

29 Apr 2017, 21:57 PM

My go-to pre WBP early game strat for usf was airborne into stuart, but now that it's been nerfed, I've been playing around with all the m15 (which I made a thread about too) as well. It seems to do a pretty good job at suppression and moves fast, but of course gets 2 hit by at and if it somehow gets fausted it's royally screwed. The Stuart now seems to be a lot less effective against infantry but still does a good job against vehicles. Mine usually somehow hits vet1 without dropping many models and just kind of chills in the back for fear of getting totally demolished by at after about 17-18mins. I just want to hear others thoughts on the light vehicles now, and what of skipping them in favor of just rushing shermans or something?
30 Apr 2017, 00:05 AM

Stuart is honestly kinda meh, I don't build them anymore and just rush straight for Sherman while holding out with RE zooks and Rifle AT nades. In the light vehicle department, I just get M20 for the insane utility it offers to me. And I don't see a lot of players building the Stuart anymore. I might consider it when I go Captain vs OKW who built Flak HT and Ostheer Flamer HT(although extremely rare). Scout Cars are manageable and Luchs can be shooed off with 2 zooks. I kinda feel that the Stuart is too helpless against infantry right now, because it almost does no damage to them while being only a soft counter against vehicle and I'm not sinking 70 fuel for a light that sucks at both.
30 Apr 2017, 06:31 AM

Stuart is honestly kinda meh, I don't build them anymore and just rush straight for Sherman while holding out with RE zooks and Rifle AT nades. In the light vehicle department, I just get M20 for the insane utility it offers to me. And I don't see a lot of players building the Stuart anymore. I might consider it when I go Captain vs OKW who built Flak HT and Ostheer Flamer HT(although extremely rare). Scout Cars are manageable and Luchs can be shooed off with 2 zooks. I kinda feel that the Stuart is too helpless against infantry right now, because it almost does no damage to them while being only a soft counter against vehicle and I'm not sinking 70 fuel for a light that sucks at both.

Ok so I'm not the only one whose Stuart drops literally like 2-7 infantry models in its lifetime. Flaktrack in my experience actually does really well against scout cars as long as you get the autocannon firing fast, and I have heard that it can finish of a luchs (how reliable is that though?). I really love the m20, but paying 340 manpower and 70 muni for a car with a .50 cal really does hurt.
30 Apr 2017, 07:12 AM

Ok so I'm not the only one whose Stuart drops literally like 2-7 infantry models in its lifetime. Flaktrack in my experience actually does really well against scout cars as long as you get the autocannon firing fast, and I have heard that it can finish of a luchs (how reliable is that though?). I really love the m20, but paying 340 manpower and 70 muni for a car with a .50 cal really does hurt.

In the replays from the GCS, someone got to 9 kills before losing it. I used one in a randumb 4v4 and put it in front of someones MG42. It fired on the MG42 for probably 30 seconds before the player realized that it was firing at him. He then retreated without losing a model. That was at point blank range. Don't try that if the MG42 has the incendiary rounds. I don't get that many kills with it now.

The only time that it seems to make sense to get a Stuart is if Ost has a flamer halftrack, and then its job is just to keep you from bleeding too much.
30 Apr 2017, 08:22 AM
Senior Editor Badge

I've been getting mixed results going LT and Captain. Recently, I've actually only been up against OKW. I find Lieutenant + AA HT works very well, especially if there's a Battlegroup (Med) HQ. Even if there's a Mechanized HQ, if the resources allow, weapon racks can be purchased while the AAHT is producing, and I find that I'll usually have at least 100 mu by the time the racks unlock.

Captain is good for the mid-late game. A lot of times I'll get a Pack Howitzer to counter MG34s.

Typically, I'll go LT, M15, Racks, Ambulance, Captain... I don't usually try to rush a Sherman, but if I get the M15 I never get a Stuart. The fuel cost of both techs and both light vehicles isn't justified in an equal, competitive game.

I've closed out a few games with a .50 cal and AAHT, especially against an aggressive med HQ.
30 Apr 2017, 09:11 AM

Interesting thread as I find the Stuart pretty much ok. I manage to get it vet2 almost all the time and few times vet3 before dying.
I was considering why was I able to get those veterancy and the only reason I found was because I stopped using it as a shock unit. I use the stuart to cover my flanks and get much less greedy with it thus increasing its life time.
I already stated about the m15, this unit doesn't work enough well for its price.

Cpt is nice cuz you get pack howi and it can unlock some situations. You also access Atgun and I play a lot with them as my first T3 unit is usually the M8A1 Scott.
Pack Howi + Scott is a really nice combo, phosphorus shot + Scott barrage...
The same way with the Stuart, building a Scoot and not a Sherman pay for your Stuart. But you need an Atgun to back your stuff.
30 Apr 2017, 09:52 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

With the popularity of the JU 87 Loiter and recon aircraft, I found the M15 excellent in shooting down the crafts. I have been playing around with the M15 a lot recently. Granted I pretty much play 3v3 so gameplay is structured differently than 1v1s, 2v2s, and 4v4s. Keep the M15 alive, say making it guard flanks and points, and tanks will have a hard time to kill it if you apply pressure to other areas with riflemen. Since it is in the LT building you can also place mines with the M20 to lure tanks into a trap. Recently in my 3v3 games, I have playing around with very weird builds. Since blobbing is common I double down on my MGs. Having 2 MGs to hit a blob is quite effective.
30 Apr 2017, 16:43 PM

Æ
30 Apr 2017, 17:59 PM

the both ok. stuart a little to expensive and m5/m15 needs MP cost lowered
30 Apr 2017, 23:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2017, 07:12 AMGrumpy

In the replays from the GCS, someone got to 9 kills before losing it. I used one in a randumb 4v4 and put it in front of someones MG42. It fired on the MG42 for probably 30 seconds before the player realized that it was firing at him. He then retreated without losing a model. That was at point blank range. Don't try that if the MG42 has the incendiary rounds. I don't get that many kills with it now.

The only time that it seems to make sense to get a Stuart is if Ost has a flamer halftrack, and then its job is just to keep you from bleeding too much.

M15 can kill flamer halftracks pretty well too though, and is much better against infantry. I remember once I went after a guys sniper with it and got it down to half health before he produced a pak on the spot. We were playing ring atound the Wehrmacht quarters though, but still, this went on for however long the paks build time is, plus the whole retreat back partially on a road.
30 Apr 2017, 23:53 PM

With the popularity of the JU 87 Loiter and recon aircraft, I found the M15 excellent in shooting down the crafts. I have been playing around with the M15 a lot recently. Granted I pretty much play 3v3 so gameplay is structured differently than 1v1s, 2v2s, and 4v4s. Keep the M15 alive, say making it guard flanks and points, and tanks will have a hard time to kill it if you apply pressure to other areas with riflemen. Since it is in the LT building you can also place mines with the M20 to lure tanks into a trap. Recently in my 3v3 games, I have playing around with very weird builds. Since blobbing is common I double down on my MGs. Having 2 MGs to hit a blob is quite effective.

Huh. Infantry must get nowhere when you got two .50s and a m15 (for a grand total of 6 .50 cals lol). M15 does tend to shoot down planes almost instantly, which is very useful, and nets it vet real fast, especially if they forget and keep calling in planes. I've been wanting to go M15 + m20 but it's so manpower expensive. I think I gotta find a better doctrine to do that instead of heavy cav or airborne (one without elite inf). Any suggestions?
1 May 2017, 00:38 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Huh. Infantry must get nowhere when you got two .50s and a m15 (for a grand total of 6 .50 cals lol). M15 does tend to shoot down planes almost instantly, which is very useful, and nets it vet real fast, especially if they forget and keep calling in planes. I've been wanting to go M15 + m20 but it's so manpower expensive. I think I gotta find a better doctrine to do that instead of heavy cav or airborne (one without elite inf). Any suggestions?

Note I pretty much only play 3v3. This is actually what I have been doing. My build order is Rear echelon, Mortar, Riflemen, Fighting position. Lieutenant does have a very long tech time, so my first MG is in fact a fighting position. The fighting position allows me make a stronger front line seeing only buy ONLY ONE riflemen. (yes only one riflemen, crazy.) With this additional manpower not spending on 4 riflemen you can invest into MGS or you go Lieutenant or Pack Howies if you go Captain. Additionally I have been going with the doctrine: Infantry Company, not the Calliope Company. (Again crazy)

Here is what my build order looks like for Infantry Company
Rear Echelon: Really helps with early field presence in capping points especially for a brit ally.
Mortar: Good at removing those early MG 42s and garrisons
Riflemen: Can be swapped positions with the mortar
Fighting Postion
Lieutenant
M2B HMG
M15
Ambulance
Weapon Racks: Give your Rear Echelon 2 bazookas first for AT. Give your Riflemen, LT, Capt one Bar one 1919 Lmg. These units can act like your elite infantry especially if you equip the Officer suppression bulletin

Evenally you will want these
Captain
2 Mortar Half tracks A very powerful and very underrated unit.
2 M1 At guns
Priests

For builtins I use:
Officer Rally: The Lieutenant, Captain, and Major reduce the suppression taken by nearby infantry units by 6%.
See The World, They Said!: Rear Echelon Troops fire 1% more accurately and their rifles cool down 2% faster between shots.
Cheap Team Weapons: The M1 57mm Anti-Tank Gun, M1 75mm Pack Howitzer, and M2HB .50 cal Heavy Machine Gun are 5% cheaper.

So it the end, ideally No major, one riflemen, and no calliopes, Trust this strategy does actually works. By sinking your fuel into these early game assests you gain a substantial foot hold on the field, and the M1 At guns and Zooks can handle medium armor. By the time Heavy armor roles out, your teammates should have proper counters to them.

Airborne can also borrow this similar idea. Though you will want to get major tech for Jacksons for a late game fuel sink. Barfinders with an officer buffer can be quite strong. Just only build one pathfinder. They have a 37 reinforcement cost.

For my third slot I actually have Rifle Company. (Wait, still no Heavy Cav, or Calliope?! I must be insane.) Just give the Captain, and Riflemen the bazookas and Rear Echelon the Flame thrower and Bar.
1 May 2017, 00:46 AM

Note I pretty much only play 3v3. This is actually what I have been doing. My build order is Rear echelon, Mortar, Riflemen, Fighting position. Lieutenant does have a very long tech time, so my first MG is in fact a fighting position. The fighting position allows me make a stronger front line seeing only buy ONLY ONE riflemen. (yes only one riflemen, crazy.) With this additional manpower not spending on 4 riflemen you can invest into MGS or you go Lieutenant or Pack Howies if you go Captain. Additionally I have been going with the doctrine: Infantry Company, not the Calliope Company. (Again crazy)

Here is what my build order looks like for Infantry Company
Rear Echelon: Really helps with early field presence in capping points especially for a brit ally.
Mortar: Good at removing those early MG 42s and garrisons
Riflemen: Can be swapped positions with the mortar
Fighting Postion
Lieutenant
M2B HMG
M15
Ambulance
Weapon Racks: Give your Rear Echelon 2 bazookas first for AT. Give your Riflemen, LT, Capt one Bar one 1919 Lmg. These units can act like your elite infantry especially if you equip the Officer suppression bulletin

Evenally you will want these
Captain
2 Mortar Half tracks A very powerful and very underrated unit.
2 M1 At guns
Priests

For builtins I use:
Officer Rally: The Lieutenant, Captain, and Major reduce the suppression taken by nearby infantry units by 6%.
See The World, They Said!: Rear Echelon Troops fire 1% more accurately and their rifles cool down 2% faster between shots.
Cheap Team Weapons: The M1 57mm Anti-Tank Gun, M1 75mm Pack Howitzer, and M2HB .50 cal Heavy Machine Gun are 5% cheaper.
Huh. Very interesting builds, I'll have to try them out in 3v3 sometime.

So it the end, ideally No major, one riflemen, and no calliopes, Trust this strategy does actually works. By sinking your fuel into these early game assests you gain a substantial foot hold on the field, and the M1 At guns and Zooks can handle medium armor. By the time Heavy armor roles out, your teammates should have proper counters to them.

Airborne can also borrow this similar idea. Though you will want to get major tech for Jacksons for a late game fuel sink. Barfinders with an officer buffer can be quite strong. Just only build one pathfinder. They have a 37 reinforcement cost.

For my third slot I actually have Rifle Company. (Wait, still no Heavy Cav, or Calliope?! I must be insane.) Just give the Captain, and Riflemen the bazookas and Rear Echelon the Flame thrower and Bar.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS