Login

russian armor

Steel Division: Normandy 44 (RTS ww2 published by Paradox)

1 Apr 2017, 01:13 AM

it is another wargame with ww2 skins, gg wp lelic MVGame
1 Apr 2017, 01:32 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Thanks for the info. Have you played Men of War? That would seem to be even more similar, and I'm worried a lot of the problems I had with that title will apply to Steel Division as well.

Only a little, and I've definitely didn't manage to figure that one out yet. If your issue with it was the large-scale micro potential, that might not be the case with Wargame/Steel Division's style - it's definitely balanced around some degree of expendability for all the units you inevitably won't be able to keep alive (e.g. the basic American Main Battle Tank costs a bit over as much as 10 basic American infantry in European Escalation, compared to CoH2 having medium tanks cost comparatively as much manpower as elite infantry and requiring a different resource that infantry won't compete for to build), infantry are still put in squads to act uniformly to your orders, and you won't be having individual infantrymen micromanage throwing grenades. I still had trouble with it myself though (or maybe I just didn't like it...same thing?), so I'd really say to just try it yourself unless you can give an elaboration I can get.

Vehicle penetration was pretty simple in Wargame as well - you hit front, top, side or rear armor based off relative location and that's it, don't have to worry about your AT bouncing off their diagonals or anything. Most of the units' stats are generally either freely available within the game's deck builder or at least are reasonably easy to understand. A unit's accuracy against an currently-eligible target is also shown clearly on the cursor while mousing over for an attack in their latest entry of Wargame, which I figure is a feature that'll probably stay.
5 Apr 2017, 17:17 PM

Steel Division is available for pre-order RIGHT NOW. Buying it lets you play the beta which is also available RIGHT NOW.
5 Apr 2017, 17:21 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Release date: May 23

Much sooner than I expected.

New trailer:

5 Apr 2017, 17:23 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Steel Division is available for pre-order RIGHT NOW. Buying it lets you play the beta which is also available RIGHT NOW.

Downloading. :D
5 Apr 2017, 22:22 PM

tfw the game is realistic

http://imgur.com/a/uOKq7

its the other way around in coh 2 XD
6 Apr 2017, 01:08 AM

it looked cool, i wish i could see more content though, like can we paradrop infantry? i saw a bofors emplacement, are there other emplacements? Do they plan on adding stuff etc..
9 Apr 2017, 04:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Apr 2017, 01:08 AMCafo
it looked cool, i wish i could see more content though, like can we paradrop infantry? i saw a bofors emplacement, are there other emplacements? Do they plan on adding stuff etc..

No paradrops, confirmed by developers. Just foot infantry and their trucks / APCs. AA Guns are there to...dissuade CAS.

Also; the 91. Luftlande Division by far has access to the most air support out of the 4 current divisions. Really nice to be able to stretch my arms and blow up tanks with HS-129 B-3 bombers with a PaK 40 mounted on it. :) In the first phase at that, too. Especially useful with all the halftracks with Armored Infantry and tanks that the 3rd Armored Division can deploy at the start.
9 Apr 2017, 05:41 AM

No paradrops, confirmed by developers. Just foot infantry and their trucks / APCs. AA Guns are there to...dissuade CAS.

Makes sense paratroops only jumped at the start of the invasion its not like they jumped in to large battles.
12 Apr 2017, 09:29 AM

It is a great game. Made a gameplay so you can check it from CoH2 player perspective,uploading more tonight. Looking for partners to ply together. So if anyone is up for some games contact me :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhug1LhS958&t=25s
12 Apr 2017, 16:37 PM

#Comicgraphic
#Unrealism
12 Apr 2017, 18:00 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Patrion 15

Played it for a bit, got great potential imo. Very enjoyable.
13 Apr 2017, 10:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2017, 16:37 PMArchont
#Comicgraphic
#Unrealism

Yeah, these two bug me too, whenever I play CoH2. Thats part of the reason why I prefer Steel Division.
13 Apr 2017, 10:40 AM

Yeah, these two bug me too, whenever I play CoH2. Thats part of the reason why I prefer Steel Division.

But I meant the game Steel Division,

Look, it is not an advantage in this game, if you zoom to the near.
This is my problem...

I want to fight with near screen like in CoH2 ...
But the game itself is better than coh2 in my eyes

And if u look near in Steel Division it is really undetailed
13 Apr 2017, 11:18 AM

IRL allied CAS was about as effective firecrackers vs tanks. Go look at allied CAS tank kill claims and compare them to actual unit losses. And Wirbelwinds and Ostwinds were operational in Normandy and although rare completely decimated Allied CAS IRL . . . It's not like Germany will be helpless. The meme of allied air strikes being entire panzer division killers is a meme I hope Eugen will chuck into the trash, unlike CoH devs who actually believe it.

Also the game takes place on the divisional level. It is only division vs. division. To historically balance German qualitative superiority allies will obviously have access to more unit availability per card and more offmaps.

When Eugen says they will make the game realistic they mean absolute realism in game mechanics and no unit hand holding. If a tank can't penetrate another, it won't. There is no deflection damage. Riflemen will have a 0% chance to win against Fallschirmjager. British Commando units will have no combat effectiveness outside of forests and town sectors. British infantry sections are not arbitrarily better, but will likely be worse according to history. A flanking shot on armor will almost always result in instant KO, just like in WG. Artillery without a spotter is worthless, hidden AT guns completely slaughter tanks.etc

A new mechanic similar to "teching" seen in kid RTS is appearing. As time progresses the battle will enter different "phases" and both factions would get stronger units/offmaps. It is said divisions like the 101st Airborne division will have early game advantage thanks to elite, numerous infantry and the Panzer Lehr division will be weak early game but have elite mechanized infantry and heavy armor as the battle drags out. This is authentic in some ways because a Panzer Division would not mobilize it's heavy armor unless absolutely necessary in a meeting engagement like Steel Division is portraying. And wow, the game is balanced theory wise in a realistic way without hand holding units.

Victory points are gained by holding more territory than the other so SS panzer divisions and the like would have to push hard to take back lost ground assuming they survived early game. Seems well designed to me. . .. ..... . . . . . . . .

German fanboy much?

Scoreboard.
13 Apr 2017, 11:29 AM

#Comicgraphic
#Unrealism

:clap:

agree, steel division is much more realistic and tactical than coh2.

Since i tried this game, i never got tempted anymore to give coh2 a try, even with the new balance patch.
13 Apr 2017, 11:44 AM

Yeah Steel presents extremely good. Sadly beta is really small.

What bother me is that trucks which transport infantry just disappear...
13 Apr 2017, 11:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2017, 10:40 AMArchont

But I meant the game Steel Division,

Look, it is not an advantage in this game, if you zoom to the near.
This is my problem...

I want to fight with near screen like in CoH2 ...
But the game itself is better than coh2 in my eyes

And if u look near in Steel Division it is really undetailed

Considering the scope of the maps it actually is quite detailed. Of course nowhere near the level of detail that CoH has, because that one has a much smaller scale.

In the end things look nice enough even if you zoom in all the way in my opinion.

:clap:

agree, steel division is much more realistic and tactical than coh2.

Since i tried this game, i never got tempted anymore to give coh2 a try, even with the new balance patch.

And its not just more realistic. A lot of games are "more realistic" than Company of Heroes but fail to create interesting gameplay dynamics at the same time. I am very impressed by the mix of realism and great gameplay that Steel Division offers. It all works so well together.

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2017, 11:44 AMStark
What bother me is that trucks which transport infantry just disappear...

They had to do that for gameplay reasons, there are few alternatives I think. Just imagine that the trucks drive off map once they unload their stuff :D
13 Apr 2017, 13:44 PM

Really want to play it more to get an opinion, played it a bit at a friend. Just don't want to spend 40 euros to get a beta lol.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★