Login

russian armor

Soviet M5 AA

13 Feb 2017, 01:59 AM

Hi all,

there is something wrong in the AA capability of this unit? A lot of time it can't take down any kind of german planes, recon included, M5 shoot the sky for minutes with no results. I don't know how to counter the german air support spam.
13 Feb 2017, 03:29 AM

I'm no expert, but modders seemed to suggest that AA works on some weird deflection mechanic instead of just doing straight damage.
13 Feb 2017, 03:37 AM
Developer Relic Badge

It's being boosted in WBP for AA duty which it currently is very poor at.

Hopefully, AA can be made more reliable and consistent later on by giving planes a proper health value with AA units having modifiers against said planes. Currently it's either planes die or nothing happens.
13 Feb 2017, 09:08 AM

AFAIK currently the M5 AA has a chance of 3 to 10.000 per shot to take down an airplane. Which is 0.033% per shot. Which is very very very low...
13 Feb 2017, 10:32 AM

Which is very very very low...

So no chance at all basically? :(
13 Feb 2017, 12:15 PM

AFAIK currently the M5 AA has a chance of 3 to 10.000 per shot to take down an airplane. Which is 0.033% per shot. Which is very very very low...

Since it has 4 HMG firing the number of shot can be allot and the chance may go up dramatically.
13 Feb 2017, 12:35 PM

Thx all for answers , i will wait for WBP.
13 Feb 2017, 17:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2017, 12:15 PMVipper

Since it has 4 HMG firing the number of shot can be allot and the chance may go up dramatically.

The chance to not shoot down goes down dramatically with 4 guns, but you are still in a situation where a plane can do an entire pass without being hit on a regular basis, which is unacceptable considering the AA HT's high investment cost and its only non-meta option Soviets have to deal with air attacks. Against planes that don't loiter this is an even more glaring problem.
13 Feb 2017, 17:48 PM

The chance to not shoot down goes down dramatically with 4 guns, but you are still in a situation where a plane can do an entire pass without being hit on a regular basis, which is unacceptable considering the AA HT's high investment cost and its only non-meta option Soviets have to deal with air attacks. Against planes that don't loiter this is an even more glaring problem.

I never claimed that the changes WBP on Quad are bad, I have not tested enough. Although a X3,333% buff sound a bit big.

"Increased the chance for the Quad to take down an airplane from 30 in 10000 to 10 in 100"

Allies also have non loitering planes.
Soviet have "skill shot" planes USF have "skill shot" planes. Skill shot planes are not meant to be shot down before attacking. they are countered by moving out of the way.
13 Feb 2017, 19:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2017, 17:48 PMVipper

I never claimed that the changes WBP on Quad are bad, I have not tested enough. Although a X3,333% buff sound a bit big.

"Increased the chance for the Quad to take down an airplane from 30 in 10000 to 10 in 100"

Allies also have non loitering planes.
Soviet have "skill shot" planes USF have "skill shot" planes. Skill shot planes are meant to be shot down before attacking. they are countered by moving out of the way.

IMO if the area has a "solid" AA investment (meaning Quad/Flak HT, Ostwind/Centaur) there is absolutely no reason you should call a plane. Right now AA performance vary greatly (Centaur been god and M5 Quad been crap) but i would rather have godly AA than crap AA.

I guess you meant NOT to be shot down? Problem with strafe/bombing planes is that their performance vary greatly from map to map. If it's cast close to the border of the maps there's no chance you can avoid them. On the same hand, if the map is huge (4v4) it won't hit shit cause it takes an eternity to arrive. If you have to protect an artillery piece and you spend resources on AA to protect it, well it should work IMO.

If we talk about skill shot planes in a non sarcastic way (non loiter), then there is not such great things on the allies nor in general (beside bombing strikes).
SU: it has the IL2 bombing (mimic to OH) and the AT grenade from tank hunter. Unfortunately the IL2 single strafe is "bad" due to bugs (2+ years and counting)
USF: P47 strafe is underperforming or over-costed for what it does. Recon from Major is nice i guess.
UKF: i've seen only twice (both by me on a stomping) the Typhoon strafe from FoP. Never seen Hold the line work and neither Assault recon planes.
OKW: zzzz
OH: it has the only 2 worthwhile strafes in the game. Unfortunately it's not meta required atm (there's no allied Artillery piece been built).

There are 3 things which have to be stopped immediately: recon planes (which allows arty offmap), bombing strikes (SU both variants + OH) and OH AT strafe (due to sheer amount of damage to non vehicle).

14 Feb 2017, 14:25 PM

USF: P47 strafe is underperforming or over-costed for what it does. Recon from Major is nice i guess.

Honest question: Is it underperforming?
When playing as axis, I IMMEDIATELY RUN FOR MA GODDAMN LIFE when seeing those red circles on the map.

I still have nightmares from the P47 at WFA release.
14 Feb 2017, 14:28 PM

Honest question: Is it underperforming?
When playing as axis, I IMMEDIATELY RUN FOR MA GODDAMN LIFE when seeing those red circles on the map.

I still have nightmares from the P47 at WFA release.

He is referring to Calliope not airborne. The "P47 strafing run"
14 Feb 2017, 18:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Feb 2017, 14:28 PMVipper

He is referring to Calliope not airborne. The "P47 strafing run"

Because the doctrine that has the Calliope in it needs something else to become viable.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 42
unknown 40
Germany 12
unknown 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L