Login

russian armor

Skill Based Abandoned Vehicles

7 Feb 2017, 17:18 PM

Abandon vehicle is mostly RNG right now. I think it could be changed to be a more prominent game play mechanic, while also depending more on skill and planning.

• All vehicles abandon on destruction every time. But they're in a special state where they have almost no armor and only 80 HP.
  • After 3 seconds, the engine catches fire, the vehicle self destructs, and it becomes a wreck.
  • If an engineer squad reaches the vehicle within three seconds, they stop the auto destruct timer, and can "capture" the vehicle. This takes around 20 seconds. The vehicle then disappears from the map and can be called in as an off map by the player who captured it.

So this way, abandon is more like an ambush mechanic where you keep an engineer squad in waiting and then have them try to seize the vehicle. It doesn't net you the resources of the vehicle (so you can't abuse it on your own vehicles) but it let's you get a vehicle you wouldn't normally have. So think USF trying to get an Elefant, or Ost getting a Comet from the Brits.
7 Feb 2017, 17:32 PM

I honestly think its fine where it is, because having this small mini- game can be more frustrating than the RNG.
7 Feb 2017, 20:55 PM
Patrion 27

Just remove abandon from the game the same as blizzards.
7 Feb 2017, 21:13 PM

If anything I'd like to see them add a map ping every time your vehicle is abandoned... I often find that the audio cues aren't enough if the match is really intense and had no clue there was an abandoned vehicle until it returns to haunt me.

I simultaneously think that abandons are stupid because its RNG completely turning around a game in some cases and nice because they add some risk-reward to tank dives where there is some risk to you abandoning a vehicle in your opponents base/where they can easily recover it.
7 Feb 2017, 21:17 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Abandon vehicle is mostly RNG right now. I think it could be changed to be a more prominent game play mechanic, while also depending more on skill and planning.

• All vehicles abandon on destruction every time. But they're in a special state where they have almost no armor and only 80 HP.
  • After 3 seconds, the engine catches fire, the vehicle self destructs, and it becomes a wreck.
  • If an engineer squad reaches the vehicle within three seconds, they stop the auto destruct timer, and can "capture" the vehicle. This takes around 20 seconds. The vehicle then disappears from the map and can be called in as an off map by the player who captured it.

So this way, abandon is more like an ambush mechanic where you keep an engineer squad in waiting and then have them try to seize the vehicle. It doesn't net you the resources of the vehicle (so you can't abuse it on your own vehicles) but it let's you get a vehicle you wouldn't normally have. So think USF trying to get an Elefant, or Ost getting a Comet from the Brits.

Sorry to burst the bubble. Unless you or someone you know, can implement this and even then, this is way too complicated to see implemented in the game.
7 Feb 2017, 22:38 PM
Developer Relic Badge

I think only certain weapons/abilities should cause abandons so one knows when they can get the abandon critical to go off and so the opponent can better judge when they should dive in or not.

7 Feb 2017, 22:52 PM
Donator 11

I think only certain weapons/abilities should cause abandons so one knows when they can get the abandon critical to go off and so the opponent can better judge when they should dive in or not.

is it possible to mod for example that only shots from the rear (and i mean the rear 90 degrees by that, not the "rear" side armour) can abandon a vehicle?
7 Feb 2017, 23:37 PM

If anything I'd like to see them add a map ping every time your vehicle is abandoned... I often find that the audio cues aren't enough if the match is really intense and had no clue there was an abandoned vehicle until it returns to haunt me.

I simultaneously think that abandons are stupid because its RNG completely turning around a game in some cases and nice because they add some risk-reward to tank dives where there is some risk to you abandoning a vehicle in your opponents base/where they can easily recover it.

Anyone else feel like you never hear when that one random squad you forgot about gets engaged in combat but you ALWAYS hear that they've been wiped out? Just a random observation of mine.
7 Feb 2017, 23:40 PM

What if like, throwing a grenade at a vehicle with engine damage and X amount of health (or something like that) would cause the vehicle to be abandoned? Might need some more in-depth thought as most units with snares also have grenades tho, and ost riflenades would be abandoned vehicle heaven.
8 Feb 2017, 01:46 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Anyone else feel like you never hear when that one random squad you forgot about gets engaged in combat but you ALWAYS hear that they've been wiped out? Just a random observation of mine.

It's probably a focus thing. You hear about your squads getting engaged all the time so it frequently becomes white noise if you've got better things to micro. Losing a squad, however, is significant and bad no matter what you're doing so that throws you out of it.

Reminds me reading about a development note for Age of Empires 2, they mentioned playtesters complaining there was no warning noise for their towns being under attack...that warning noise was working just fine, the testers turned out to be just focusing too much on something else.
8 Feb 2017, 01:53 AM

The only way to balance this mechanic, is to make it impossible to crew the tank until it's fully repaired.
8 Feb 2017, 05:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Feb 2017, 01:46 AMVuther

It's probably a focus thing. You hear about your squads getting engaged all the time so it frequently becomes white noise if you've got better things to micro. Losing a squad, however, is significant and bad no matter what you're doing so that throws you out of it.

Reminds me reading about a development note for Age of Empires 2, they mentioned playtesters complaining there was no warning noise for their towns being under attack...that warning noise was working just fine, the testers turned out to be just focusing too much on something else.

Yeah I feel like this is probably the case. In extraordinarily messy battles I sometimes even miss when my units get wiped and wonder where they went.
8 Feb 2017, 10:04 AM

Is abandon really such a bad mechanic? It happens rarely and you can normally destroy the tank before it can be recrewed. Plus it's only a single tank, normally not the end of the world unless you were being stupid with a king tiger.

I think there are a lot worse things with RNG (e.g. full health squad wipes) than abandon.
8 Feb 2017, 10:52 AM

This game is all about rng, so abandons is fine. Self-destruct is redundant because almost every time if you can't capture something you shoot it. If you unable to shoot it... well... do not ride lonely tank behind enemy's line.
8 Feb 2017, 14:51 PM

Point taken that it's too complicated. On the other hand, I don't think any change to abandon, simple or complicated, will actually happen at this point, so this is all entirely speculative in the first place.

Should players be able to influence when abandons happen, given their huge impact on the game? Do you think that there should be an action required from the player to make an abandon occur? If so, how should that mechanic work?
13 Feb 2017, 05:56 AM

Make the tanks only abandonable in friendly territory. or something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
V-T
13 Feb 2017, 12:57 PM

??

Why not blow up your abandoned tank if you are afraid it's going to be used against you? It's a game mechanic which plays out for both sides.
13 Feb 2017, 14:29 PM

Just remove abandon.
13 Feb 2017, 17:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2017, 14:29 PMSwift
Just remove abandon.

At this point I agree. The mechanic makes no sense, can turn games in a moment, and feels stupid. Diving for a Kat to have it abandon and recrew is potentially game ending and the diving player did nothing wrong.
13 Feb 2017, 19:23 PM

At this point I agree. The mechanic makes no sense, can turn games in a moment, and feels stupid. Diving for a Kat to have it abandon and recrew is potentially game ending and the diving player did nothing wrong.

Agreed. Losing a vehicle because you dive is a fair loss: you're penalised for your brazen nature: that's fine. But to then gift the opponent a vehicle that you can't feasibly destroy, and one that you're not supposed to have a direct counter for, e.g. having an Ostwind abandoned to a Soviet player, is stupid.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★