Login

russian armor

Call ins: The overlooked problem

6 Jan 2017, 16:37 PM

Timing, not the CP timing, that's for the most part OK but the ability to instantly have the unit on the field, isn't.

Lost your croc,KT,Tiger,Stug,Puma etc etc etc and have the float? replace it instantly with no wait.

The biggest issue I have with this is how devastating it can be to players, you've just lost a tank, your remainder are limping away after killing your opponents heavy and medium tanks when all of a sudden, the heavy tank returns, full health and picks away at your remaining armour.

The quick fix solution I can think of is to have the call-ins on a timer rather than insta spawn, I would even go as far as to apply this to infantry also, it's already been discussed in-depth with infiltration units but I'm referring to all other off map call in infantry.

Timings should be different per squads/vehicles however with the more costly taking longer to spawn and the cheaper the faster, I would say mirror the cooldown and have that as the 'build' timer but iirc some cool down timers are fairly lengthy.

Thoughts?
6 Jan 2017, 16:51 PM

This is actually a very good idea. Bulletins for call-in units would finally have some use
6 Jan 2017, 17:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jan 2017, 16:37 PMLatch
Timing, not the CP timing, that's for the most part OK but the ability to instantly have the unit on the field, isn't.

Lost your croc,KT,Tiger,Stug,Puma etc etc etc and have the float? replace it instantly with no wait.

The biggest issue I have with this is how devastating it can be to players, you've just lost a tank, your remainder are limping away after killing your opponents heavy and medium tanks when all of a sudden, the heavy tank returns, full health and picks away at your remaining armour.

The quick fix solution I can think of is to have the call-ins on a timer rather than insta spawn, I would even go as far as to apply this to infantry also, it's already been discussed in-depth with infiltration units but I'm referring to all other off map call in infantry.

Timings should be different per squads/vehicles however with the more costly taking longer to spawn and the cheaper the faster, I would say mirror the cooldown and have that as the 'build' timer but iirc some cool down timers are fairly lengthy.

Thoughts?

What you also could do is make it so the cooldown of the call-in start when the tank dies. But both would work fine I think.
6 Jan 2017, 18:32 PM
Senior Editor Badge

...or make some of them being buildable from T0 when the required CP are reached...
6 Jan 2017, 18:44 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Thoughts?

It's something that I thought was badly designed: when call-in appears a cooldown of a few minutes, and when the unit is destroyed they have already passed that cooldown, this way would be:

When a tank is destroyed it would start the cooldown.

But for units that are only allowed to be 1 unit in the field like (Arty officer, Glider commandos, KT, Pershing, JT, ST, ect)

6 Jan 2017, 18:53 PM

someone remember the pershing call in in coh1 which cost 0 fuel?
6 Jan 2017, 19:05 PM

Also calliOP, stug e, churchill all variants, panther combo (2 panthers for panzer elite), hetzer ...
6 Jan 2017, 19:14 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Different kind of game, resources had vastly different values then.
6 Jan 2017, 21:00 PM

Sort of...

There was a lot more variance between territory points and resources could be cutoff and denied in coh1.

The values were relatimely the same, it's just players ability to manipulate those values is severely reduced.

Fuel had more uses than primarily teching to build tanks as well.

CoH2 is amazingly close to being opened up to allow for those kinds of dynamics but unfortunately this has been the case since 2013 with no signs of interest to change that.
6 Jan 2017, 22:42 PM
Donator 11

that was actually the better way to balance call-ins in my opinion. the higher manpower cost compared to coh2 meant that going call-ins would diminish your chances of using your fuel for teching, so one wasted this ressource entirely.
in coh2 sherman spam for soviets for example is a ressource-effective way of teching, one uses his fuel
7 Jan 2017, 02:40 AM

that was actually the better way to balance call-ins in my opinion. the higher manpower cost compared to coh2 meant that going call-ins would diminish your chances of using your fuel for teching, so one wasted this ressource entirely.
in coh2 sherman spam for soviets for example is a ressource-effective way of teching, one uses his fuel

That's actually a very good point.

When your call-ins are competing with teching for fuel, the call-ins tend to have the most value. Teching can't produce a Puma or StuG E for Ostheer or a Pershing or Calliope for USF. And when you have to spend a hundred fuel to spend a hundred fuel on a medium tank, why not just spend two hundred on a heavy tank?

If the unit isn't built from a tech building like, say, the t34/85, it might warrant trying to convert the fuel costs of actual call-ins to manpower.
7 Jan 2017, 14:21 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Don't mind if I steal this for my mod?
7 Jan 2017, 19:15 PM

Don't mind if I steal this for my mod?

Of course
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 40
Germany 743
Netherlands 8

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias